Best tyres for British countryside/green lanes

9 replies to this topic
  • npfman

Posted July 04, 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi peeps,

Currently got Enduro Competitions III's on the 426 at the mo and the rear is looking a bit worse for wear, just wondered what people is best for british countryside and green lanes?, the rear i have at the mo is 130/90 18, would it be worth swapping to a 140/80 rear? as i have seen a few tyres like the dunlop d907 and geomax which look a bit more aggressive?

Cheers

• JDLowrance

Posted July 04, 2010 - 02:42 PM

When I was in the UK I was running Mich. AC10s on my KTM 525. They seemed to work ok and they were street leagal.

John

• Kawidad

Posted July 05, 2010 - 07:43 AM

Shinko 700, if you can get them. A really good all around street biased tire that wears well and handles well street or dirt.

• RichFZR-WR

Posted July 05, 2010 - 12:28 PM

I'm using Maxxis IT. so is every one in the group i ride with.
10 of us, you would think that we were sponsored by them or something.
Good, cheap, hard wearing tyre used in all conditions with no real complaints, Great for greenlane type riding.
Not to sure what the biggest size they do 130/140? but the 120 i use is fine.

• foggy3061

Posted July 05, 2010 - 10:09 PM

I run Bridgestone ED661 Gritty 90/90-21 (FIM and DOT approved) with Continental HD MX tube up front and a Mitas C02 120/90-18 with standard tube rear.

The Mitas isn't particularly fantastic on anything, just a good all-rounder that wears well, is hard to puncture and are cheap! Also E marked and DOT approved. They work well on the rocky muddy going in the lakes.

Here they are on my bike:

Posted Image

Just change for a decent rear for competitions!

Edited by foggy3061, July 06, 2010 - 09:14 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • durzer

Posted July 06, 2010 - 02:08 PM

I'm using Maxxis IT. so is every one in the group i ride with.
10 of us, you would think that we were sponsored by them or something.
Good, cheap, hard wearing tyre used in all conditions with no real complaints, Great for greenlane type riding.
Not to sure what the biggest size they do 130/140? but the 120 i use is fine.

Think 120 is the biggest in the recent Maxxis enduro tyre. Proper mx pattern but still road legal and VERY grippy.

• JDLowrance

Posted July 07, 2010 - 06:38 PM

I didn't know the Maxxis IT was road legal. In that case I revise my recommendation. Definitely go the Maxxis IT. I've run them out here in the desert of So. Cal. and they stick well and wear like iron. Not sure how they'd go in the mud but should be ok with those tall-ass knobs and good spacing.

John

• npfman

Posted July 09, 2010 - 12:48 PM

Cheers for the replies peeps, might try the Maxxis, will it make any difference having a 120 section rear tyre to a 130 section?

Also Foggy cheers for the pic, what rear fender do you have, is that LED? looks smart

• foggy3061

Posted July 09, 2010 - 01:10 PM

Cheers for the replies peeps, might try the Maxxis, will it make any difference having a 120 section rear tyre to a 130 section?

Also Foggy cheers for the pic, what rear fender do you have, is that LED? looks smart

Cheers, it does look well on the bike!

Its just a standard YZ426F rear mudguard (with slight trimming around the coolant header tank as the YZF doesn't have one) and an LED tail light. I can't remember the brand, but this is the one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item35a736776c

• jonooffler

Posted July 10, 2010 - 10:47 PM

Hi I have alway run a Pirelli MT 21 on the rear of all my bigger bikes, the one on my WR426 is a 130 it fits well and runs great on dry or muddy .If you look on line they are around £45.00.
Jono

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.