Valve maintenance

3 replies to this topic
  • forklord

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:32 AM

Is this link ok for 07 450s?
http://motoman393.th...ech/valves.html
i've got an easy 50-100 hrs of sand and trail riding and haven't checked the valves yet. she is running quite wonderfully now, but i guess it wouldnt hurt. the manual makes it look fairly easy. but seems like there is a bit of stuff left out or too simple instructions. any more resource material out there? I did a search...

• forklord

Posted July 05, 2010 - 04:42 PM

geez i went over the manual again and its actually detailed pretty well. unlike some stuff...anywho while i was at it i thought about something. why do people put aftermarket cams in? more lift on the valves? would you get more power without a piston kit?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted July 05, 2010 - 06:24 PM

there are some good youtube videos on checking and shimming valves, checking it is pretty simple, just put it to tdc, take the cam cover off and shove in the feeler gauges untill you find one that fits with a little resistance. If its all within spec your good to go, change your cam chain if you want extra insurance, especially at 100 hours.

• Luigic81

Posted July 08, 2010 - 05:31 PM

it's easy just dig in and get r done, yamaha makes the best OEM manual of any manufacturer IMO, and they make it very easy to find TDC. Checking them is super easy, if you actually have to change the shims then it gets a little more involved, but still not hard after your first time

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.