2009 WR 450 Swing Arm Bearings

23 replies to this topic
  • jw423

Posted July 02, 2010 - 11:15 PM

Do you guys and gals remove the bearings from the swing arm to re-grease? Or is it o.k. to just clean them out and re-grease. These are the four sets in the swing arm not the linkage. The needles do not come out they are encased with the bearing as a whole piece.

Also My linkage didn't have any string cheese in it, did Yamaha quite doing that?

Hey here is another. Why are there not sealed bearings in there? You know the maintenance free type.

I'm doing this on my new bike I have had for 3 months and finally have about 15 hrs on it. Boy is it ever the truth these suckers need to be tore up and re packed right away. I thought the guys who tore em up before even riding them were just nutters with maintenance. I figured waiting till the break in would be plenty early. I would say that is about as long as you would ever want to go. I already have a little spotting of rust on the end of one of the sleeves.

Any way thanks for the input, there seems to be a lot of info on the linkage but nothing much on the swing arm.

• panaman

Posted July 03, 2010 - 09:59 AM

yeah i just came to realize that yamaha is too cheap to put any grease on any of the bearings on our bike. I just had to get my rear axel pounded out with an air hammer..
I am afraid to see what happens when i attempt to take my swingarm bolt out on my bike.

• panaman

Posted July 03, 2010 - 11:00 AM

You inspired me..
I got mine all tore apart right now.... I am very surprised.... it came apart quite easily and mine is VERY well greased from the factory.

Anyway... by looking at the bearings int he swing arm.. i don't think you need to pull them out... I think you just clean them out and regrease them. I think if you were to pull them out you would mess up the seals and have to replace them too... and your seals are probably just fine.. mine still look good.

• panaman

Posted July 03, 2010 - 02:11 PM

i think i found a problem on my linkage bearings..
when i took the big metal tube out.. some of those little tiny rod type bearings fell out.. i am thinking this is not normal? but they do seem to pop right back in.. so I am not sure

• jw423

Posted July 03, 2010 - 05:03 PM

i think i found a problem on my linkage bearings..
when i took the big metal tube out.. some of those little tiny rod type bearings fell out.. i am thinking this is not normal? but they do seem to pop right back in.. so I am not sure

Ya on the linkage it's a different type of needle bearing they are not encased like the swing arm.

It is definitely normal, mine did too. Just clean all those little suckers up and get comfy while you spend some real quality time with your WR linkage. Grease the race, the track the needles set in, and just set them in one by one until its full again. Add some more grease and your done with one now only 5 more sets to go...:banana:

If you look around here on TT there is a great walk through on the whole process. I guess the needles used to be held in with some yellow plastic type stuff that TT rs call string cheese. I don't know when they stopped using it, Yamaha I mean but mine were free of any string cheese.

Have fun!

I think I'll just put a healthy amount of grease in the swing arm bearings and call it good too. I really don't want to bother with putting those back in. They have to be at a certain depth and like you say I don't want to mess up the seals. :)

• panaman

Posted July 04, 2010 - 04:34 AM

Ya on the linkage it's a different type of needle bearing they are not encased like the swing arm.

It is definitely normal, mine did too. Just clean all those little suckers up and get comfy while you spend some real quality time with your WR linkage. Grease the race, the track the needles set in, and just set them in one by one until its full again. Add some more grease and your done with one now only 5 more sets to go...:banana:

If you look around here on TT there is a great walk through on the whole process. I guess the needles used to be held in with some yellow plastic type stuff that TT rs call string cheese. I don't know when they stopped using it, Yamaha I mean but mine were free of any string cheese.

Have fun!

I think I'll just put a healthy amount of grease in the swing arm bearings and call it good too. I really don't want to bother with putting those back in. They have to be at a certain depth and like you say I don't want to mess up the seals. :)

Yeah I found out it was normal... a buddy of mine said just put them back in...
I greased the crap out of all my stuff.... for how much stuff I pulled a part it really was a rather easy job..... of course I noobed putting mine back together.... I had the chain under the swing arm and didn't notice... so I got to take mine apart twice :-)

Are you going to do your steering stem? I think I'll tackle that sometime this week

• jw423

Posted July 04, 2010 - 06:23 AM

Ya 'I'm going to the steering and front wheel next. I might have to go for a ride first though. What with the holiday, my daughters birthday, and tearing apart the rear end I didn't get to ride this week. :)

• panaman

Posted July 04, 2010 - 07:02 AM

Ya 'I'm going to the steering and front wheel next. I might have to go for a ride first though. What with the holiday, my daughters birthday, and tearing apart the rear end I didn't get to ride this week. :)

I've pulled my front wheel already and greased it.. it was easy coming out.. but it was a pain to put the axel back in...

• YamaLink

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Doing some holiday bike maintenance.....for friends. They're newbies so I was happy to show them (for free bbq, of course, ha).

One bike was greased up like the Gulf Coast of Mexico (I know, it's oil down there) while the other was probably built on a Friday at closing time: bone dry.

On some older bikes I've yanked the string cheese out and packed it with molybdenum grease.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 09, 2010 - 01:12 AM

My old boss used to always say: "Grease and oil are cheap".

I've taken that with me through all my bikes and cars!
I probably over-lubricate, but I've never had to replace a bearing yet .... apart from internal (crank etc.) bearings on race bikes.

In other words ..... Lube everything regularly!
It's cheap and it pays.

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted July 09, 2010 - 04:22 AM

My old boss used to always say: "Grease and oil are cheap".

I've taken that with me through all my bikes and cars!
I probably over-lubricate, but I've never had to replace a bearing yet .... apart from internal (crank etc.) bearings on race bikes.

In other words ..... Lube everything regularly!
It's cheap and it pays.

Greg

I agree, but I don't think its the price of grease that makes the maintenance not happen :)

• gregwr450f

Posted July 09, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Do it properly in my opinion.

Pull them apart completely, wash, re-grease and reassemble.

Good piece of mind to know the job is done properly.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 10, 2010 - 01:35 PM

I agree, but I don't think its the price of grease that makes the maintenance not happen

You may have missed his Australian sense of humour I suspect! LOL!

I'll translate it into "American English" as this: "It's far smarter to lubricate stuff than it is to let it wear out and have to replace it."

:)

Greg

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted July 11, 2010 - 03:14 PM

I just did my rear linkage today and used marine grease from walmart. It didnt say what rating the ball drop test was but everything else on the label convinced me it was good. I didnt take my needle bearings out b/c the bike is only around 10 hrs old and they had a desent amount of grease in them. Loaded them up with more and called it good.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 13, 2010 - 01:40 AM

I just did my rear linkage today and used marine grease from walmart.

Marine grease is all I've used on bikes for the past 30 years.
Never had to replace a bearing yet, except in second hand bikes I've bought.

Marine grease gets 2 x thumbs-up from me!

:smirk: :smirk:

Greg

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted July 13, 2010 - 12:58 PM

Right on. Thanks I can rest assured now.

• panaman

Posted July 14, 2010 - 04:38 AM

Marine grease is all I've used on bikes for the past 30 years.
Never had to replace a bearing yet, except in second hand bikes I've bought.

Marine grease gets 2 x thumbs-up from me!

:smirk: :smirk:

Greg

I would think that it really wouldn't matter what kind of grease you used as long as you did it a couple times a year.....

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 14, 2010 - 02:24 PM

I would think that it really wouldn't matter what kind of grease you used as long as you did it a couple times a year.....

You're probably right panaman.
I guess if you did a lot of muddy riding and water crossings it may make a difference which grease you used.

I think the golden rule for making bearings last a long time is don't use a pressure washer around bearing areas ..... or better still: don't use one at all!

Greg

• panaman

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:00 PM

You're probably right panaman.
I guess if you did a lot of muddy riding and water crossings it may make a difference which grease you used.

I think the golden rule for making bearings last a long time is don't use a pressure washer around bearing areas ..... or better still: don't use one at all!

Greg

got to use a pressure washer on the seat.. them gripper seats some how hold the muck like you wouldn't believe......

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 14, 2010 - 08:51 PM

got to use a pressure washer on the seat.. them gripper seats some how hold the muck like you wouldn't believe......

Yep, gotta agree with you there, they are a bugger for holding crap!

I just scrub mine with a scrubbing brush. Most of the time I don't even need detergent.

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.