Should you do the o-ring mod with a boyensen quick shot?

2 replies to this topic
  • Luigic81

Posted July 02, 2010 - 01:59 PM

I just bought a '06 YZ450f, and the jetting was all screwed up becuase the previous owner installed the slide plate upside down :) I went ahead and did the o-ring mod while I had the carb out, figuring I could always take it off later.
Got that slide plate installed correctly, and took it for a test ride today around the neighborhood, it felt pretty good jetting wise, except there is a little stumble when I whack the throttle open quickly.
The bike is all stock motor and exhuast wise, and it's set up for supermoto (if that matters)

current jetting is:
48 pilot
fuel screw 2 turns out
168 main
stock needle in 4 th position
stock 55 leak jet
o-ring mod
boyesen quick shot
twin filter with no toil and back fire screen removed

I'm in portland, OR at sea level and it's about 63 degrees right now, bike had very little decel popping (thinking about trying a 45 pilot)

Since I never rode the bike before I did the o-ring mod, I'm not sure if that helped or hurt the situation, considering it has a quick shot on there.

So should I try the 45 pilot? Remove the o-ring mod? Or do I need a smaller leak jet? Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yzf_Buz

Posted January 21, 2011 - 01:47 PM

I just bought a '06 YZ450f, and the jetting was all screwed up becuase the previous owner installed the slide plate upside down :smirk: I went ahead and did the o-ring mod while I had the carb out, figuring I could always take it off later.
Got that slide plate installed correctly, and took it for a test ride today around the neighborhood, it felt pretty good jetting wise, except there is a little stumble when I whack the throttle open quickly.
The bike is all stock motor and exhuast wise, and it's set up for supermoto (if that matters)

current jetting is:
48 pilot
fuel screw 2 turns out
168 main
stock needle in 4 th position
stock 55 leak jet
o-ring mod
boyesen quick shot
twin filter with no toil and back fire screen removed

I'm in portland, OR at sea level and it's about 63 degrees right now, bike had very little decel popping (thinking about trying a 45 pilot)

Since I never rode the bike before I did the o-ring mod, I'm not sure if that helped or hurt the situation, considering it has a quick shot on there.

So should I try the 45 pilot? Remove the o-ring mod? Or do I need a smaller leak jet? Thanks!

I would like to also hear some input on this as well, I too just got a bike that is a similar 06 yz450 with a quick shot. Except mine has been re-jetted for a full fmf exhaust (mega bomb and 4.1 Carbon muffler) I have only had it out for a two hour ride since I bought it and ran into this issue while I was out. I have not gone in to the carb yet to see what jets the mechanics at the yami shop have installed in it yet as it was a sponsored privateer bike. I am riding From sea level on up as I am based out of Seattle. Sorry to jump in on this thread, just trying to keep from posting similar threads. Thanks:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2011 - 01:58 PM

My advice would be to remove the O-ring, install the 45, and set the pump timing correctly per the manual. Then tune from that point.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.