Countershaft Sprocket Thickness

3 replies to this topic
  • DGXR

Posted July 02, 2010 - 09:16 AM

1999 YZ400F. Bought a Primary Drive chain & sprocket kit, steel sprockets and x-ring chain, all stock size. I noticed that the countershaft (front) sprocket in the PD kit is thinner than the worn sprocket I'm taking off. The different thickness is not huge but it is noticeable to the eyeball. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I get a thicker cs sprocket (OEM or other?) , or should I just fugeddaboudit and run the PD? I can provide pictures and measurements if it will help. Thx

• SRT426

Posted July 03, 2010 - 03:05 PM

I've been running the Primary Drive stuff for quite some time now on my 426and wouldn't worry about a different thickness. The old one you took off may have been aluminum (thicker) where the PD stuff is steel (thinner). Maybe the narrow width shaves a few grams to put it on par with aluminum?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2010 - 04:00 PM

The inside width of a 520 chain is spec'd at .250" (6.35mm). Sprockets for use with a 520 should be around .225" (5.7mm). It is important for them to be as wide as reasonably possible for several reasons:

• Wider sprockets wear longer
  • The wider contact area distributes the load more evenly over the width of the chain roller and pin
  • The wider sprocket stabilizes the chain laterally

Made of the same materials and treated to the same standards, the narrower sprocket will not last as long.

• DGXR

Posted July 09, 2010 - 10:33 PM

I can be a real idiot sometimes... the PD steel countershaft sprocket is not thinner than the old sprocket (which was steel) -- the thicknesses are the same at the output shaft splines. What threw me is the fact that the sides of the teeth on the PD sprocket are narrower at the tip. Not when looking at the side of the sprocket, but looking at the edge view, the teeth taper in more at the tips.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.