best front tire

45 replies to this topic
  • Gunner354

Posted July 04, 2010 - 04:40 PM

Try the 31 in front.

• The Captain

Posted July 04, 2010 - 04:42 PM

Try the 31 in front.

If you like knobs coming off in abundance, then I'd agree, go with the 31.

Dunlop failed with the geomax series. Heavy, poor quality, unpredictable.

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:27 PM

Dunlop failed with the geomax series. Heavy, poor quality, unpredictable.

I couldn't disagree more on any point.

• The Captain

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm, we'll have to agree to disagree. Last season I was receiving a small discount through a local vendor on Dunlop's so I ran multiple sets of the 31's and 51's. Though better than (obviously) kenda, cheng shin, or the like I have to say they don't hold a candle to the bridgestone m series I've been running this year.

• BBrown626

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hmmm, we'll have to agree to disagree. Last season I was receiving a small discount through a local vendor on Dunlop's so I ran multiple sets of the 31's and 51's. Though better than (obviously) kenda, cheng shin, or the like I have to say they don't hold a candle to the bridgestone m series I've been running this year.

We have been trying both on a variety of social tracks. I'll be buying bridgestones:worthy::)

• twomancrew

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:08 PM

Anyone try M71 yet?

• crf450319

Posted July 06, 2010 - 08:52 AM

I've been running Dunlop D739 (hard pack) fronts for the past couple of years, but after trying out the Dunlop D745 that was on my new '09 YZ I think I'm going to switch to an intermediate front.

I'll be looking at the Dunlop D742, Bridgestone M404, and Dunlop MX51.

Here's a pic of the Kenda Carlsbad (hard-pack/bluegroove) rear I had put on my bike this Spring, it lasted 3 hours before knobs started tearing off. I used it on 2 local MX tracks that were mostly intermediate to hard dirt. Kenda said the chunking looked like it was due to the type of terrain I was on & didn't do anything about their shite tire. I'll never buy another Kenda.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by crf450319, July 07, 2010 - 12:04 PM.

• MX4Life

Posted July 06, 2010 - 01:22 PM

+1, I used to get 10 races(4 motos) out of the D756 and they were toast. Getting 17 races on Geomax and knobs still look sharp.

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 07, 2010 - 06:59 AM

He is a pro xc1 Gncc rider. he lives not even 6 miles from me. rode with him a couple times, so did josh Strang till me moved to cali.

Forgive grayracer, those s cal guys don't understand us east coast guys. He is right in saying make a decision based on the terrain you ride which can change from season to season. Right now in Alabama I am running a Maxis IT desert tire. Works great because everything is dry right now. Most of the major brand tires are good if you are using them on the terrain they were designed for.

• YamaLink

Posted July 07, 2010 - 07:49 AM

That tire is awesome! Make sure it's not the XT version, though. That tire made my riding life miserable until I could throw it away.

Can I just add, the Pirelli Scorpion Int/Soft front tyre is truly amazing. You have got to try one out. I am always changing my mind on which rear tyre is my fav, but will never ever ride on any other front tyre again. They are really that good. I read one magazine that refered to the tyre as similar to cheating. They were fans of the tyre as well

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 07, 2010 - 07:59 AM

...those s cal guys don't understand us east coast guys. ... in Alabama I am running...

When did Alabama get moved to the East Coast?

There are at least six tires that work better than a Maxxis IT in the dry, although they are a "pretty good" value with good wear and very good straight line traction. The D952 is lighter, wears longer, bites better, corners much better, weighs significantly less, and can usually be bought for about the same price.

The MX51 is a notch or two above that, particularly in terms of cornering and wear. The 952 is a little better straight line in sand.

• Wiz636

Posted July 07, 2010 - 04:01 PM

they say the front doesnt feel planted. Not good in ruts. Charlie Mullins said to run Kenda Washougal Sticky... any back up to that?

Charlie Mullins gets paid to use Kenda tires so you can take what he says about tires with a grain of salt.

I like the Geomax MX-51 front but my personal favorite front tire is the Michelin M-12...it works great everywhere.

• rmx250rider

Posted July 07, 2010 - 05:19 PM

Charlie Mullins gets paid to use Kenda tires so you can take what he says about tires with a grain of salt.

I like the Geomax MX-51 front but my personal favorite front tire is the Michelin M-12...it works great everywhere.

He's a good friend, i dought he would lie about tires

• Wiz636

Posted July 08, 2010 - 09:02 AM

Charlie Mullins said to run Kenda Washougal Sticky... any back up to that?

He's a good friend, i dought he would lie about tires

Well, umm, if your good friend the top level pro offroad racer says to run the Kenda then why are you asking us hacks which tire to use? :)

I bet if he was sponsored by Dunlop he'd tell you to use the Geomax. Just sayin'...

• gdbarr1976

Posted July 08, 2010 - 10:18 AM

When did Alabama get moved to the East Coast?

There are at least six tires that work better than a Maxxis IT in the dry, although they are a "pretty good" value with good wear and very good straight line traction. The D952 is lighter, wears longer, bites better, corners much better, weighs significantly less, and can usually be bought for about the same price.

The MX51 is a notch or two above that, particularly in terms of cornering and wear. The 952 is a little better straight line in sand.

Gray, Ala may not be East coast but it is sure East.

The reg Maxxis IT not a bit fan. The Maxxis Desert is one big long wearing piece of rubber. It was left over from Baja. I can't seem to wear it out.

I've run the michelin s12 and m12 and like the MX31 up front as well if not better and it seems to be wearing great.

• rmx250rider

Posted July 08, 2010 - 11:28 AM

Well, umm, if your good friend the top level pro offroad racer says to run the Kenda then why are you asking us hacks which tire to use? :)

Still nice to have others opinion

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Gray, Ala may not be East coast but it is sure East.

The reg Maxxis IT not a bit fan. The Maxxis Desert is one big long wearing piece of rubber. It was left over from Baja. I can't seem to wear it out.

I've run the michelin s12 and m12 and like the MX31 up front as well if not better and it seems to be wearing great.

Southeast, yes. For a second there, I thought maybe Georgia had sunk.:)

The IT Desert is a tough tire, alright, but if we're going to complain about tire weight as being a problem, we better not mention that one.

• bendover932

Posted July 08, 2010 - 01:05 PM

I'll always miss the 755 front:cry:

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2010 - 04:00 PM

The MX51 is very similar, and works through a wider range of soils.

• rmx250rider

Posted July 08, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Since Gray is the man on here i'll try out the MX51..and the pirelli midsoft 32 a try

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.