yz 450 LA Sleeve cylinder

5 replies to this topic
  • SB105

Posted July 01, 2010 - 04:30 PM

I have a 2007 yz 450, I am changing the piston and cylinder and was thinking of going with a LA sleeve cylinder. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these sleeves. are they quality, easy or difficult to install?, and how to install is anyone knows or has any tips...Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2010 - 04:42 PM

If it's a sleeved cylinder, there's nothing different about the installation. However, my considered opinion is that replating your original cylinder, or using a replated cylinder, is a much better route to go than a sleeve, because all of the OEM designed in expansion rates and clearances remain the same, and heat transfer from the piston to the coolant is far better with a plated cylinder than a sleeved one.

• wags0913

Posted July 01, 2010 - 04:42 PM

sleeves are cast iron stock cylinder is aluminum expanding rate is different you get pison stuck at the top if not warmed up properly everytime not a good idea get your cylinder replated with nikasil or get a new one

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SB105

Posted July 01, 2010 - 05:44 PM

thanks for the info guys

• Protocav

Posted July 09, 2010 - 08:51 PM

I used them and my cylinder came out excellent. Normal installation, and works well so far.

• Wiz636

Posted July 10, 2010 - 06:44 AM

I bought a used a YZ250 smoker that had an LA Sleeve cylinder and did not have any problems with it, but whenever I had a cylinder that I needed work on myself I always went with Millenium Technolgies for replating instead of sleeving for the reasons outlined by Grayracer above.

The cool thing with MT is that they sometimes have a replated cylinder in stock that they can ship out immediately and then they give you a core-charge refund when they receive yours.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.