omg... can't get the rear axel bolt out

23 replies to this topic
  • wrrider15

Posted July 03, 2010 - 11:42 PM

use some fine grit wet and dry sand paper on the axle....just lightly rub it to get some of the corrosion off then cake the grease on it when you put it back in,should help it slide in and out more freely as long as its done regularly...hell i regrease mine after every 2 rides

• panaman

Posted July 04, 2010 - 04:30 AM

use some fine grit wet and dry sand paper on the axle....just lightly rub it to get some of the corrosion off then cake the grease on it when you put it back in,should help it slide in and out more freely as long as its done regularly...hell i regrease mine after every 2 rides

I will probably do mine every 2 rides now......:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:16 AM

next on the list is stearing stem....
Also.. about how often should this be done? Once a year?

I read a thread on the YZ side that has made me rethink my position on this. Apparently the seal on the AL framed bikes does not do a good job of keeping the water out. Even if you don't ride snotty wet conditions, washing the damn thing after each ride will still cause damage.

With that said it wouldn't be unreasonable to do this service 2-3 times a year. In fact I'll be doing mine before the wet weather riding season.

• tribalbc

Posted July 05, 2010 - 03:12 PM

I regrease my linkage twice a year riding in all the water and mud I do. The axle just gets done every time I flip or change a tire every couple weeks.
As JSanfillipo says the seal on the steering head does a real good job, the only thing that can really get at the bearings is a pressure washer. I've changed that seal once after 2 yrs, they're cheap. And I repack my steering bearings once a yr but they're always in good shape. I've had to replace some linkage and my swingarm bearings over time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.