omg... can't get the rear axel bolt out

23 replies to this topic
  • panaman

Posted July 01, 2010 - 12:40 PM

I've been beating the crap out of it for an hour...
is there some trick to this?

• ohioryder

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:03 PM

mine come out no problems. do you put a little grease on them when you install? sounds like too much dirt is getting in them...how are your seals?

• panaman

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:16 PM

this is the first time i ever tried to pull it off...
I bought a new tire and want to install it..
i been spraying liquid wrench all over it...

i can move it out about an inch and that is it

• ktmhamm3r

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:21 PM

wiggle the tire around while you are pulling/hammering or what ever you are doing, the threads are probably catching on something.

• panaman

Posted July 01, 2010 - 07:46 PM

wiggle the tire around while you are pulling/hammering or what ever you are doing, the threads are probably catching on something.

tried that.. i even layed the bike on its side for an hour with liquid wrench on it... its the crappiest motorcycle I have ever owned...... motor is strong and everything around it falls apart including my forks. My bike is not even a year old yet. I should have bought a Husky

• JDLowrance

Posted July 01, 2010 - 09:26 PM

tried that.. i even layed the bike on its side for an hour with liquid wrench on it... its the crappiest motorcycle I have ever owned...... motor is strong and everything around it falls apart including my forks. My bike is not even a year old yet. I should have bought a Husky

Really. I think yor bikes failures are a direct result of the mechanical incompetence of the owner.

I have a feeling you'd be worse off with a Husky.

Just sayin...

• tribalbc

Posted July 02, 2010 - 05:48 AM

Really. I think yor bikes failures are a direct result of the mechanical incompetence of the owner.

I have a feeling you'd be worse off with a Husky.

Just sayin...

No doubt, had the bike almost a year and first time rear axle is coming out for some fresh grease.... What would you expect????
Now once you have that rear wheel off better get at the linkage and hit the steering head with some grease while you're at it.
Believe me Euro bikes have lots more little issues than Jap bikes...
Don't want to sound harsh but I think you are slagging on one of the most reliable bikes out there. If you're having issues with a WR......

• GCannon

Posted July 02, 2010 - 08:39 AM

You will need tools for this. You may have luck by blocking up the swing arm under side (bike on side) and using a air chisel with a hammer bit attached. Put a piece of aluminum between the axle and the Air Chisel. The vibration may work best to loosen the axle without pounding the chasis to death.

I belive your axle is rusted to the axle bushing between your wheel bearings. That is why the grease is so important. there is no way to get heat in there maybe shoot a torch through the center hole in the axle. try to resist pounding it with a hammer to bad.

Let us know what works. Good Luck

• JDLowrance

Posted July 02, 2010 - 09:41 AM

I don't think it's siezed because he has said he can move the axel about an inch and then it won't go any furhter.

Sounds like the threaded end of the axel has been mushroomed due to excessive beating on it with something other than a rubber mallet.

Just speculating....

• GCannon

Posted July 02, 2010 - 12:56 PM

I don't think it's siezed because he has said he can move the axel about an inch and then it won't go any furhter.

Sounds like the threaded end of the axel has been mushroomed due to excessive beating on it with something other than a rubber mallet.

Just speculating....

Push it back in and saw the end off???:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Captain

Posted July 02, 2010 - 01:14 PM

poor bike......

• 96sp00wr

Posted July 02, 2010 - 03:25 PM

My bike is ten years old and the axle comes out with two fingers! This is the best bike I have ever owned as far as reliability and build quality. Still runs like the day I got it!

• kinraw

Posted July 02, 2010 - 03:31 PM

I usually use a rubber mallot to bang on it while wiggling the tire.:)

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 02, 2010 - 07:31 PM

WIN! :)

• YamaLink

Posted July 02, 2010 - 09:12 PM

My friend has this problem all the time with every bike he does not maintain. Then he beats on whatever is "wrong" but with a big ol' metal hammer. Yep, situation is worse.

I would do what you've already done: let some lube vibrate/seep down around the axle. But it probably won't go far. Use a rubber mallet. And a solid flat punch to position squarely in the center of the axle. And beat it like, well, like you have been.

Or buy a really large freezer and put the wheel in. Maybe the axle will shrink enough and can be whacked out. Okay - that was a joke. Totally kidding.

• wrrider15

Posted July 03, 2010 - 03:47 AM

one word for you mate and its called......MAINTENANCE!!!!

• panaman

Posted July 03, 2010 - 09:55 AM

took it to the dealer and they got it out with an air hammer

• panaman

Posted July 03, 2010 - 11:03 AM

poor bike......

Yes, but I can rebuild her

No doubt, had the bike almost a year and first time rear axle is coming out for some fresh grease.... What would you expect????
Now once you have that rear wheel off better get at the linkage and hit the steering head with some grease while you're at it.
Believe me Euro bikes have lots more little issues than Jap bikes...
Don't want to sound harsh but I think you are slagging on one of the most reliable bikes out there. If you're having issues with a WR......

I agree.. I guess I was just thinking you would just need to regrease the axel about every tire change.....
Also after my incompetence with my rear wheel axel... I am taking your guys advice... i got my swinarm off and all my linkage.. it actually came apart very easily.... it is actually very well greased from the factory.
I am going to clean it up and regrease it anyway....

next on the list is stearing stem....
Also.. about how often should this be done? Once a year?

Edited by panaman, July 03, 2010 - 01:33 PM.

• zukboy789

Posted July 03, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Just for future reference, put something under the tire so that there is absolutley no weight on the axle:thumbsup:

• panaman

Posted July 03, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Just for future reference, put something under the tire so that there is absolutley no weight on the axle:thumbsup:

what do you mean? like when taking it out?... my other axel was completely corroded.... yamaha dealer said they never seen anything so bad on such a new bike.....

I've also taken plenty of wheels off in my life.... i guess every now and then one is just going to bite you.....
Hell when I took my front one off a month ago... it came out fine.. but wouldn't go back in... i am still certain that it wont want to go back in when i take it out again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.