2K WR400F exhast tip with under 96dB?

8 replies to this topic
  • JamesD

Posted June 30, 2010 - 04:24 PM

Ok, as of tomorrow (July 1st) Colorado requires vehicles on public lands to have exhaust noise of 96dB or less. So I'm in the hunt for an something to quiet my WR.

I did some searching of the forums and it looked like the Stroker Quiet Tip would be my first choice... but the web site www.strokerspeed.com appears to be missing in action.
Baja Designs doesn't appear to carry the tip they supposedly licensed.
:)

So... are there any exhaust tips for the the 2000 WR400F that meet the CO sound requirement AND ARE STILL BEING MADE?

• rmx250rider

Posted June 30, 2010 - 04:29 PM

try fmf 94 db

• JamesD

Posted June 30, 2010 - 04:52 PM

try fmf 94 db

You mean the Q4 slip on?
$360
Ouch, I was hoping for something cheaper.

• jcbikes

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:17 PM

I have a 2002 wr426 with the stock muffler but their was no peashooter in it when I bought the bike used (very loud). What I did quieted the bike a lot and actually smoothed out the power hit that the bike has and also made the low end power better. I took off the rear cap the holds the spark arrester unit (three bolts) and stuffed it full of a package of steel wool pads around the inside diameter of the hollow muffler. Just made it so the spark arrester unit squeezed in there surrounded by the still wool. I bought the steel wool pads at Home depot for a little over $3. I first started out putting in a few at a time that reduced the sound a bit but not enough. ended up putting in all 12 pads (that came in the package) to reduce the sound the most. I have had them in there for over a month with no problems and the sound is much reduced and the bike runs great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JamesD

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:24 PM

I have a 2002 wr426 with the stock muffler but their was no peashooter in it when I bought the bike used (very loud). What I did quieted the bike a lot and actually smoothed out the power hit that the bike has and also made the low end power better. I took off the rear cap the holds the spark arrester unit (three bolts) and stuffed it full of a package of steel wool pads around the inside diameter of the hollow muffler. Just made it so the spark arrester unit squeezed in there surrounded by the still wool. I bought the steel wool pads at Home depot for a little over $3. I first started out putting in a few at a time that reduced the sound a bit but not enough. ended up putting in all 12 pads (that came in the package) to reduce the sound the most. I have had them in there for over a month with no problems and the sound is much reduced and the bike runs great.

Veeeeery interesting. I'm just not sure I'm willing to risk the $100 fine.
Several riding groups have sound test equipment so they can test people's bikes. I might give it a try and have them test it. Worst case I have more steel wool than I'll use in several years.

• jcbikes

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:47 PM

James,
I have not had it tested yet but will soon. I feel it will pass and the steel wool is cheap! Worked for me to quiet the bike down, worth a try.

• Birdy426

Posted July 03, 2010 - 08:05 AM

GYT-R (Yamaha) has an insert ( http://www.yamaha-mo...5/0/detail.aspx ) that will do what you need...Several years ago, it was was about 40 bux.

If you are running a YZ-F pipe (a good, cheap upgrade if you buy it on e-by!), Pro Moto Billet has a great solution. Their "Endo" end cap ( http://www.promotobi...products_id/508 )adds a spark arrestor, then their silent insert ( http://www.promotobi...products_id/325 )quiets the bike down (it's removable for those times where noise isn't as much an issue). The Endo will cost about 1 buck-fourty, and the insert is about 45 bucks.

• jcbikes

Posted July 03, 2010 - 11:17 AM

I tried buying the GYT-R insert from my local Yamaha dealer before I did the steel wool thing and they told me the part was discontinued.

• JamesD

Posted July 03, 2010 - 03:28 PM

I tried buying the GYT-R insert from my local Yamaha dealer before I did the steel wool thing and they told me the part was discontinued.

That page says add it to your wish list, not buy it so it's probably out of production.

I was seriously looking at making my own similar to the GYT-R. I think I could do better for around $10 if I cut apart the factory insert and weld on my own pipes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.