Cheating with a 2010

33 replies to this topic
  • almostinvincible119

Posted June 29, 2010 - 08:51 PM

because either way, 200 pounds in street clothes is a notch higher than the stock springs are "right" for.

Very true, but like I said...that stock 5.8kg shock spring feels stiff enough. I haven't checked my static sag yet. Maybe something I will get around to Thursday.

• Swiss_Dirtrider

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:35 AM

The brakes are KEY!!! I've installed a steel braided brakeline from GoldFren and the Oversize Batfly Rotor from Braking. The brake is incredibly strong now with very good control! I love them now, completely hated them stock as coming from Kawaski with much better brakes!

I bought a Suter Antihopping Clutch (Similar to Hinsons Slipper Clutch in the USA), but still has to get used to.
Suspension still stock, pretty good in my opinion...

• almostinvincible119

Posted June 30, 2010 - 06:32 AM

The brakes are KEY!!! I've installed a steel braided brakeline from GoldFren and the Oversize Batfly Rotor from Braking.

I'm on a teachers salary, I can't afford the Batfly, so the EBC was within my budget. Looking to get Galfer front and rear lines soon. People underestimate what brakes do for you when your racing.

It is probably the 2nd most critical part of your bike, second to suspension.

• Jim813

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:16 AM

MX, and you would not believe how much better they are over stock. Running into corners beside someone with stock brakes, you can tell in the last 25 feet that the person with oversized brakes is able to touch them at the last minute, while the rider with stock brakes is braking for that full 25 feet.

Short version: They're wonderful

I couldn't believe how much my Yamaha front brake was down in power compared to the KTM I came off of.I installed the same EBC oversize rotor as you, but I even went a step father and installed Honda pads and a Honda master cylinder to get the feel I was looking for. But I must say it's still not KTM strong:excuseme:

• almostinvincible119

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:59 AM

I couldn't believe how much my Yamaha front brake was down in power compared to the KTM I came off of.I installed the same EBC oversize rotor as you, but I even went a step father and installed Honda pads and a Honda master cylinder to get the feel I was looking for. But I must say it's still not KTM strong:excuseme:

How did you mount up a Honda Caliper?

And of course it wont be KTM strong, they're using Brembos :)

• Jim813

Posted June 30, 2010 - 02:27 PM

How did you mount up a Honda Caliper?

And of course it wont be KTM strong, they're using Brembos :)

I didn't mount up the Honda caliper I have yet because the Honda pads fit right in, but believe it or not the Honda caliper will slide right onto the Yamaha brake carrier.

• almostinvincible119

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:45 PM

I didn't mount up the Honda caliper I have yet because the Honda pads fit right in, but believe it or not the Honda caliper will slide right onto the Yamaha brake carrier.

Right on...good stuff to know right there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted July 01, 2010 - 05:34 PM

Very true, but like I said...that stock 5.8kg shock spring feels stiff enough. I haven't checked my static sag yet. Maybe something I will get around to Thursday.

You say you are 200lbs in street cloths and it bottoms some? I'm 175lbs in street cloths and the forks on mine hasnt bottomed yet. I dont know how much oil he put in my forks and shock but all the springs are still stock ,even on the shock.

Try to put around 35mm static sag in on the rear. Thats where my tuner said he ran all his bike's at (meaning all the riders he does suspension's for).

Up here in the area I race we have pretty churned up soil. Like when you first arrive at the race on sunday the track is all preped. They have plowed the track with a tractor that has a attachment on the back like a big rake that is dragged behind the tractor and acts like a claw and it turns up the dirt and leaves a bunch of big clods about the size of cantolopes.

As the ruts get formed during the race and the track starts drying out we get huge breaking bumps that you could almost double and if you dont have your high speed turned all the way out and your compression turned out on your forks you will be jarred to death.

I dont know if you have heard of Muddy Creek Raceway in Tennessee but that is the track I'm referring too. You might want to just try and turn your High speed comp on the rear all the way out and see what you think. It will really help on those breking bumps and large waving whoops. It really helped me go through the worst braking bumps you will be surprised how fast you can go through these sections when the high speed is opened up.

I'm going to try mine with one turn down on the shock spring like my tuner said and see how it acts off of jumps and I will try your forks settings to see what its like.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 02, 2010 - 11:07 PM

Knob, I was having problems with the front bottoming, but per daves suggestions, I added 10cc's more oil today and it worked flawlessly. I loved it. Rear suspension was brilliant, and yes, I've ran some Loretta qualifiers up there before at Muddy Creek.

• moto278

Posted July 03, 2010 - 06:41 AM

ktm uses brembo calipers, is it possible to bolt those up on the yamaha? or would there be too much fab work to make it worth it

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 03, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Im sure someone with a CNC machine could mill out some sort of bracket and sell it at some unreasonable price...

Can I patent this idea?

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hydraulic brakes (or other hydraulic systems) work like any simple lever, in a sense. If you decrease the bore size of the master cylinder, or increase the total area of the caliper piston(s), you increase the pressure applied to the brake pad. That was the principal behind using the '06 CRF450 MC on a pre-'08 YZ450.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:24 AM

So Gray, let me get this straight? There is no benefit in using a 2010 CR450f MC on a 2010 YZ because the MC's are relatively the same???

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2010 - 08:22 AM

So Gray, let me get this straight? There is no benefit in using a 2010 CR450f MC on a 2010 YZ because the MC's are relatively the same???

I don't know that. You'd need to compare the bore diameters of both units and the piston area of both calipers to figure the ratio.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.