Race Cams......

16 replies to this topic
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted June 10, 2003 - 09:58 AM

Just got a good look at my burnt head from my YZ400. While looking at it I noticed that the exhaust cam also is a bit rough from running without oil as are 3 of the cam journals on the exhaust side. What I am thinking here is that if Engine Dynamics tells me that the cam is toast as well, what options are there for upgrading both cams to a higher angle race cam..... I'm thinking that if I have to replace it I might as well go for the gusto.

Any thoughts?

Bonzai :)

• Chaindrive

Posted June 10, 2003 - 11:30 AM

Have you looked at Hot Cams? Maybe their intake with a 450 factory exhaust cam? Life is great with auto-decompression! :)

• SFO

Posted June 10, 2003 - 02:18 PM

I would have to ditto chaindrives sentiments here.
Until hotcams releases their autoex cam I would run their intake and a '03ex.
The hotcam is also a billet cam which if you ran a web you would have to buy a new core if yours is toast.

• live_to_ride

Posted June 10, 2003 - 02:35 PM

The hotcam is also a billet cam which if you ran a web you would have to buy a new core if yours is toast.

Why do you need a core if the new cam is billet? If it is just a machined/welded factory cam, I don't think that would be the same as a cam made from billet steel. :)

• fman

Posted June 11, 2003 - 01:27 AM

try a crane roller for a small block chev, cut of the end three lobes and glue them to the standard cam this should last a good three minutes ........ any grind you want.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 11, 2003 - 02:31 AM

Do we know of anyone who has been successful installing the 03 450F cam into a 400F, I seem to remember Ben cautioning folks about it a few months back...

Sounds like a good plan though.

• SFO

Posted June 11, 2003 - 05:16 AM

Why do you need a core if the new cam is billet? If it is just a machined/welded factory cam, I don't think that would be the same as a cam made from billet steel. :)

If Kaze went the hotcams route he wouldn't have to buy a new cam for a core. If your core is smoked the companies who reweld and grind stock cams won't use it. Web and Megacycle are rewelds so if Kaze wanted to go that route he would both have to pay for a new cam and the treweld and grinding.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 11, 2003 - 06:35 AM

Hey wild bill....

e-mail me with a phone number so you and I can talk this evening.

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BrandonW

Posted June 11, 2003 - 06:48 AM

Ben may have warned against it, but I did not see that, and I have been running the '03 YZ450 exhaust cam in my '98 WR400 for the past several months with no issues.

Well, except for the easier starting!

:)

• SFO

Posted June 11, 2003 - 07:52 AM

Hey wild bill....

e-mail me with a phone number so you and I can talk this evening.

Thanks,

You reffering to me?
I left a message on your work voice mail.
Bill

• Chaindrive

Posted June 11, 2003 - 10:16 AM

Ditto Brandon on the 450 cam in my '99 400. My only issue at this point is jetting (waiting for parts...), which is not a problem for you. I paid a fellow TT member to install a 250 cam gear on the cam for an exact gear match, as well. Not cheap, but mine is a very low mileage engine and I plan to have it awhile (unless I am absolutely forced onto a DRZs by the incredibly stupid, irresponsible, and cowardly Iowa DOT :D Whew! NOW I feel better :D !).

The easy starting alone has changed my attitude about my bike: much more "user-friendly" :). Yamaha really missed the boat by not doing it sooner (auto-decompression) or offering retro-fit cams later! But, then, what's new about that..? We are fortunate if their bikes make the boat in time for the new model year! :D

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 12, 2003 - 02:40 AM

CD...

What would be the difference between pressing on the 250 cam gear or the 400 cam gear onto the 03-450 cam shaft ?

Thanks,

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 17, 2003 - 05:52 PM

Post deleted by daudisio

• YAMAKAZE

Posted June 18, 2003 - 09:19 AM

Well....Just got the word from California.... My head is on it's way home from Engine Dynamics.... Final Damage....

Keep in mind that all this began as a Flywheel Weight Replacement:

Flywheel & Weight ($200.00)

Crank/bearings/Gasket Kit.... $768.00
Labor to replace Crank: $350.00
Repair of Head Damaged by mechanic : $135.00
Shipping of Head back & fourth to Ca : $80.00
Oil $14.00

Grand Total: $1197.00

I surrender :)

Bonzai :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 18, 2003 - 09:26 AM

Yami-Baby (Well Thats how they say it In CommiFornia)

You are missing the point here
You Say

Oil $14.00
Grand Total: $1197.00

it should be

Oil $14.00
The Joy of seeing your pocket book drop as rapidly as a limp %$#@
Grand Total: $Priceless

Well you could ride like Ido and not worry about breakin anyhting :)

• Chaindrive

Posted June 18, 2003 - 09:44 AM

Auto decomp is "built-into" both the gear and the shaft. The stock 400/426 gear does not allow for this, nor is there the material present at the right location (due to lightening holes) to have it machined.

The 250 cam gear has the auto-decomp feature like the 450, but its teeth are also an exact match for the 400/426, unlike the 450. Time has shown this very slight mismatch between the 450 and the 400/426 to be insignificant, though.

Bear in mind that 90%+ of all the conversions I am aware of (here on TT) have simply retained the 450's gear and have had no known problems running in a 400/426. So swapping gears is pure "perfectionism" as opposed to practical necessity.

The laughable irony: Yamaha already has, at its disposal, every single component needed to market retrofit auto-decomp cams for the 400/426's (perhaps THE most popular and meaningful mod) without having to spend a cent on retooling. They absolutely could and should be offering this (450 cam+250 gear) as a GYTR part, IMO. :)

Maybe it is the combination of the P-38, James-Now, self-shortened kicker, and the 450 cam; but my bike starts so easily now I can't believe it is the same one! One lazy, 2-stroke-style kick most of the time. I would have to describe it as "giggle factor"! I read a post where another conversion owner claimed he could not get out the door of his shop without having to go back and start it one more time just "because" ...
It is like that exactly. :D :D

• BrandonW

Posted June 18, 2003 - 11:16 AM

I would have to describe it as "giggle factor"! I read a post where another conversion owner claimed he could not get out the door of his shop without having to go back and start it one more time just "because" ...
It is like that exactly.

Sure, Chain, then you are going to be telling stories about how you can now fire the bike by hand...

(if you won't, then I will! Yup, no lie. With the '03 YZ cam, you can get enough on the kickstarter to fire the beast by hand. Whether you race or not, this is the ONE mod that will turn your bike upside down...)
And get a Tera-Flex on it!

:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.