426 Forks

10 replies to this topic
  • Comice

Posted January 20, 2001 - 05:57 PM

Does anyone out there who has a 2000 426 have leaky fork seals,it seems that everyone in my area consistantly has seal problems after 2 or 3 months of riding after purchase.

Does anyone have a better seal than Yamy!!!

• motoman393

Posted January 20, 2001 - 06:22 PM

I know EBR performance where I live have better seals but I have a solution...clean your seals with a film negative (or .0015 feeler gauge works) and contact cleaner first then once it is all clean pack vasoline inbetween the oil seal and dust seal! This acts as another barrier and will keep your seals clean (you also can use axle grease it does the same thing)!!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• Flying_Fynn

Posted January 20, 2001 - 06:38 PM

I've only had my '01 426 a few weeks so no problems yet to speak of. However, on a similar note, I was wondering what the consensus is regarding the impact on the fork seals and springs as a result of cinching down the front end with tie downs during transport. Anybody use those "plastic inserts" (or whatever there called) that go between the tire and fender when tying down your bike?

• Boit

Posted January 20, 2001 - 06:55 PM

My 200 426 never had leaky fork seals....even after 6 months of riding and racing. I DID have MX-Tech do my suspension in November and still no seepage. I use one of those plastic fork buddies religiously when transporting my bike. Maybe that helps to prevent blowing the seals. It surely can't hurt.

• motoman393

Posted January 20, 2001 - 06:57 PM

Tying the bike down in the trailer is very bad for your seals and springs...it creates sag in your springs and since it is under constant pressure your seals will leak (since fluids are non compressable) This is what i did...instead of spending 25 bucks for a PC Racing fork support I made my own out of a 2x4, I went to the bansaw and cut a half circle (so it hugs the tire) and this was very easy to do and took about 5 mins! I have made about 4 of these fork supports and even have made 4 wooden bike stands (out of a 4x4) which works great and it has outlasted my friends aluminum one (which the legs bent) :) Hope this helps!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EMARacing

Posted January 21, 2001 - 05:39 AM

Mine just started leaking after about 9 months. They both started leaking at the same time. I think a lot of it is all the muddy conditions I have been riding in lately and also the fact that I "sinch" my bike down with tie downs. Also I just raced an arenacross and noticed them both leaking when I was loading my bike to go home. Mostly I race hare scrambles so that is where the muddy conditions come in to play.

• teamtoxic

Posted January 21, 2001 - 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Flying Fynn:
I've only had my '01 426 a few weeks so no problems yet to speak of. However, on a similar note, I was wondering what the consensus is regarding the impact on the fork seals and springs as a result of cinching down the front end with tie downs during transport. Anybody use those "plastic inserts" (or whatever there called) that go between the tire and fender when tying down your bike?

What I've always done is placed by bike on a stand then strapped it down. This pulls the bike FRAME down onto the stand, eliminating any pressure being applied to the forks/shock. :)

------------------
I'm 15, live in MI and ride a '00 426F
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)

• yzman

Posted January 21, 2001 - 09:17 AM

I use a 2x4 also and have had no problems with my fork seals at all. I ride very hard I have gone through two chain/sprockets, at least ten tires. I have had no real problems with my bike at all.

• smrmx

Posted January 21, 2001 - 02:49 PM

my fork seals started leaking on mine and I found out my problem was dirt in the seals and lack of oil from factory..and I do't recommend using a fealer gage on the seal it nicks the seal.. try using a little screw driver to pullback a little then use a business card with contact cleaner it seems to help...BTW don't ride to long with leaking seals it get in you bushings and you will have to replace them....

• mike_dean

Posted January 21, 2001 - 03:11 PM

My fork seals lasted a year and were still not leaking when I had MX-tech rebuild them. I also support the bike on the trailer with a 2x4. Can't wait to try the MX-tech forks, my forks were weak in the mid-range and sagging.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 21, 2001 - 05:09 PM

Mine started to leak after they were serviced and i think something just didnt get put bak right or a little pc of sand got stuck when it got put bak together.
Everyone else seems to b using the 2x4 for the "fork saver" $25 rplcment ........great idea but i use a 4x4 it is a littl sturdier and it is as wide as the tire so it fits a little better because it fits perfectly between the bolts holding the fender on!!!!
G4

------------------
ride BLUE

[This message has been edited by g4racing (edited 01-21-2001).]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.