2010 Oil Change

2 replies to this topic
  • colinf713

Posted June 28, 2010 - 01:40 PM

It seems like everytime i change the oil it always has to much in it. I follow the manual, 1qt. for oil change and 1.27qt. for oil change with fillter. It always comes out when i take out the check bolt. Any reasons or is it no big deal i hope?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2010 - 02:49 PM

The reason is that you are overfilling it. Read the manual again. It says:

Periodic oil change: 0.95L (1 US Qt)

with filter change: 1.0L (1.06 US Qt)

Total amount: 1.2L (1.27 US Qt)

"Total amount" means the amount needed to fill a dry, just built engine. There are about 200cc of oil that cannot be drained under normal circumstances, so it takes 1 liter when changing the filter and oil together.

It's easy: 1 Qt without a filter, 1 Liter with a filter. Most oil bottles have a one liter mark on them even though they only have 946cc of oil in them. Just fill the first bottle up to 1 Liter from the second one, and pour that in.

Also, if you pull the check bolt before you run the engine for a minute or so, you'll see oil come out anyway. Ignore the check bolt and fill with the right amount of oil. Then run the engine and check the sight glass after shut down.

• colinf713

Posted June 28, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Alright thanks. I kinda figured i was because i was thinking to myself that there is still leftover oil in the engine after you drain it i just didnt know if the manual figured that in. Thanks for the imput though!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.