2003 wr450f engine noinse.

6 replies to this topic
  • 802wrRider

Posted June 28, 2010 - 11:49 AM

now i have read alot about these engines making alot of noise especially when you have a skid plate attached. i dont have a skid plate, and the engine noise is only at lower rpms. when you get on the throttle the noise seems to go away. it also seems to have a little sputter at lower rpms also going away and smoothing right out when you give it a little gas. it runs beautiful at midrange and higher rpms. now i just bought this bike saturday knowing that it needed some work and i am very new to the dirt bike world so any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks~

• willy_fitz

Posted June 28, 2010 - 12:35 PM

A loud knock from the bottom end is very bad. Mostly noticed at idle.
A ticking sound could indicate a loose valve clearance.
There tends to be a lot of noise from the clutch with these bikes. It is usually nothing to be worried about. Good luck with the bike.

• 802wrRider

Posted June 28, 2010 - 03:55 PM

thanks, i took it for anotjer ride tonight to see if i couls figure out what was going on. and the noise that i was hearing is more of a shutter at low speed/rpm's in second gear and up. other than that it rhode sweet

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted June 28, 2010 - 04:00 PM

thanks, i took it for anotjer ride tonight to see if i couls figure out what was going on. and the noise that i was hearing is more of a shutter at low speed/rpm's in second gear and up. other than that it rhode sweet

Ift's while lugging it while riding it is most likely drive chain slap.

• 802wrRider

Posted June 29, 2010 - 10:07 AM

yah thats what i figured but i know the chain is not loose, i just tightened it with a buddy of mine that is much more knowledgable than i am. oh well as long as its not going to hurt anything than i dont really care to much.

• tribalbc

Posted June 29, 2010 - 10:32 AM

yah thats what i figured but i know the chain is not loose, i just tightened it with a buddy of mine that is much more knowledgable than i am. oh well as long as its not going to hurt anything than i dont really care to much.

Even when properly adjusted this bike will have some chain slap.

• 802wrRider

Posted June 30, 2010 - 03:44 AM

ok thats good to know. cause as picky as i am i would be messing with it for ever trying to fix and unfixable noise.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.