Which year yz450 to buy?

14 replies to this topic
  • xl-one

Posted June 28, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Is there a year that stands out as a good year to buy? I don't want an 010. I have an 04 and I love the power but I'm told the suspension is lacking on these. I will probably get a newer bike rather than sinking a lot of money into the suspension. Just wondering which years I should look at.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 28, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Is there a year that stands out as a good year to buy? I don't want an 010. I have an 04 and I love the power but I'm told the suspension is lacking on these. I will probably get a newer bike rather than sinking a lot of money into the suspension. Just wondering which years I should look at.

Listening to feedback here on TT, and personally riding one, i'd throw out a suggestion to try and find a clean 2006. Many should agree that was the best "compramise" of everything. The '06 did everything great. (just watch out for those pesky garbage steering stem bearings ! LOL

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2010 - 08:36 AM

The '06 seems to have everyone's favorite power curve, and they are usually a a very good buy. If you get a later one, an '06 CDI will give the newer bike the same kind of low end the '06 has.

The '08 stands out as a distinct, if not major, improvement in the chassis/suspension. The stock exhaust is lame, but almost anything fixes that.

Otherwise, they are all pretty damn good.

• Beatcoaster

Posted June 28, 2010 - 09:57 AM

I'd say 08+. Everyone likes the 06 but it will be tough finding a nice bike with low hours the more years you go back, where as some dealers may still be hanging onto an 08 or 09 at super cheap prices - and you don't have to deal with the typical craiglist'r this route either who says they change the oil but don't, never did the break in procedure right, rides sand dunes all the time, etc...

• davidl9999

Posted June 28, 2010 - 10:00 AM

I'd go with an '09 over an '08 just because it's newer (and still eligible for contingency if that's a factor). Plan to put $$ in the suspension no matter what the year. They're almost never ready for "you" out of the box.

• YamaLink

Posted June 28, 2010 - 08:06 PM

In my opinion it was 2008.

• forklord

Posted June 29, 2010 - 01:18 PM

my 07 is treating me wonderfully. im sure suspesion could be adjusted for me but im used to it now. strange nobodys mentioning an 07 at all. is there something bad about them??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneShot2146

Posted June 29, 2010 - 01:54 PM

My 06 is great im looking at getting a 2010 but I will still keep my 06 I enjoy it that much.

• xl-one

Posted June 29, 2010 - 04:01 PM

OK, here's the latest update, the Wife put the kibosh on the new bike (something about some stupid cruise we're taking ) come on, get your priorities straight! So I have acquired some 06 forks and an 05 rear shock. I know the shock will work (I have one race on it already) I'm pretty sure I remember it's not too hard to adapt the forks. Once everything gets fitted properly I will have Precision concepts or Smart dial them in for me.....hopefully in time for the races when they resume in Sept. Thanks for all of the input guys but I'm going to live with the 04 a little longer.

• kingzero

Posted June 29, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Cruise? Screw that.....You could buy a new bike and get the suspension done for the cost of the bar tab alone.:banana:

I say take her to Chucky Cheese followed up with a night at Motel 6, and after that take her for a "Cruise" on your new bike.:)

+1 for the 06'

• xl-one

Posted June 29, 2010 - 07:12 PM

I like your thinking!

• rasta

Posted June 29, 2010 - 07:20 PM

if i could fit the 03 engine in my 07 i would be very happy, never rode any thumper that rips like the 2003 450

• mikedabike

Posted June 29, 2010 - 07:55 PM

if i could fit the 03 engine in my 07 i would be very happy, never rode any thumper that rips like the 2003 450

Got an 03 and 07 in the garage. The 07 will out run the 03 anytime anyplace. The 03 just feels fast because of the ignition curve and light flywheel. Spins up too quick off idle.

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2010 - 08:21 PM

Want a surprise? Run them side by side on pavement.

• octavious

Posted July 02, 2010 - 09:24 AM

I love my '03 450! I went from a '92 XR 250L that was stripped of all excess weight. I can't imagine anything riding better than what I've got now. All I have to do is think about turning and it sticks where I want it. I did have to change the sprockets though. Too much for the woods. I can run in 2nd and 3rd most of the time through the trails. What a sweet ride!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.