New chain installation problems

5 replies to this topic
  • forklord

Posted June 27, 2010 - 08:58 PM

I used a chainbreaker and it ****ed the chain royally but i managed to straighten it all out a little. still not perfect. its a d.i.d. 520 o-ring. now when i try to put the masterlink on, only the o-rings on one side will go over the middle barrel. i tried to push it all together with a vice grip and now the two pieces of masterlink wont even go together. FML. any ideas? im more concerned about the orings going over the barrel things (dunno what better to call em) and how to keep pressure on the whole thing so i can put the clip on. I'm sure a picture would help. maybe ill post some tomorrow if im just confusing everyone and if my buddy cant help me figure it out. yes its my first time with a chain :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:19 PM

What kind of chain breaker did you use?

• schrode

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:21 PM

new master links are only a couple bucks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted June 27, 2010 - 10:33 PM

I used an angle grinder as my chain breaker :) Much faster lol.

• DGXR

Posted June 28, 2010 - 08:34 AM

If the master link is messed up, get a new master link and go ride. If a link on the chain is messed up, just get a whole new chain and go ride. Simply, don't mess around when it comes to the final drive (sprockets included). Keep it lubed and adjusted and healthy. If a side plate has been bent, it is weakened plus it won't fit together right (as you are experiencing). Sure, anything could happen to us when we're out riding. But when it comes to maintaining your machine, damage and injury are preventable. And a final drive failure at the wrong moment can mess you up bad.

• forklord

Posted June 29, 2010 - 01:28 PM

So I managed to fit a new link in and get my racing buddy to fit it on. i went riding and seems to be fine. only problem is now, i changed my sprockets in the process as well. I couldnt find a torque spec anywhere in the manual for the front sprocket. i just gave it a half decent go by hand and lubed it real nice. anyone know what the torque spec is? and of course i go out and buy a 150$ torque wrench and it only goes to 30 NM or so. most of the big stuff like axles and such go well beyond that mark. :)

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.