First Ride Report - 2010 YZF450

19 replies to this topic
  • jeff_wsu

Posted June 27, 2010 - 05:20 PM

Hello gang,

I thought I would post my first impressions of this bike since I know when I was wondering what bike to buy I was looking for these types of posts to help me decide. Hope you find it useful, and remember, these are my opinions, not facts so take them for what you will and enjoy the ride!

Rider Resume:
Years Riding - 26 years
Age - 34
Weight: 175
Riding Type - Track and Trail but mostly track
Riding Skill Level - Intermediate
Bikes Owned
  • 1986 XR80
  • 1984 CR80
  • 1986 KX125
  • 1984 KX125
  • 1990 CR125
  • 1993 YZ250
  • 2000 KX250
  • 2005 CRF450
Bikes I've ridden in the last 10 years
  • 2002 CRF450
  • 2004 KTM SX250
  • 2004 KTM 200 EXC
  • 2006 KX250
  • 2005 RMZ450
  • 2000 CR250
  • 2004 YZ250
  • 2000 RM250
  • 2009 YZF250
  • 2009 KXF450
  • 2009 CRF450
  • 2005 CRF450 (My previous bike)

Terrain: Hard Pack - Buddies Track with a combination of many different jump types and corner combinations.

Things I noticed out of the box:

This bike is sweet. The engineering on it is incredible! I can't believe what bikes are turning into now and days. The attention to detail, how it's put together, it's stance, everything is very impressive. At first I didn't like the radiator shrouds because they were so thick, but now they've grown on me and gives the bike a burly look that I appreciate.

The Tornado Pipe is pretty amazing, and I must say, frees up a ton of space in the rear compartment. When I was washing it after the ride I was pressure washing back there and had to remind myself it was okay to go nuts because the filter is under the tank.

Staring it is an interesting process. Yamaha tells you to get it to top dead center, which I do, but I've had no issue starting it when it's not. Of course when it gets hot that's another story, but not really that big of deal to me.

This thing sounds awesome. Because the airbox is under the tank it gives off this growl when you open it up that really gets your heart pumping. My buddy rode it and said "I'd buy it just for that sweet sound".

Motor:

In stock form this thing has a low end hit from hell. Don't get on it to quickly or else you'll loose traction immediately. I'm coming off of an 05 Honda 450F which I loved but it didn't have low end like this. So my mistake was trying to ride it like it was the Honda right away. Big mistake, use some clutch! I'm going to be using the power tuner to find a good mapping that will mellow that out for me.

After you get by the hit the motor pulls super strong into an electric type feel. I don't know if that's the FI, gearing, etc., but it's magic and I really liked that power. My CRF seemed to have different ranges in the engine, this thing just has a consistent feel to it and pull. You'll hear a lot of guys say that it signs off on the top end, and maybe it does, but I've never been a rider who revs my bikes to the moon, I like to stay in the meat of the power and shift before I get it screaming. I did however try to see if I could feel it signing off early a few times and I couldn't. I guess I'm just not used to that type of riding style so there's no issue for me when some say it does this.

Suspension:

Excellent. I haven't quite broken it in yet but the 100 foot table top I was taking was not an issue. The bike handled everything I threw at it and I had no harsh landings. There was a few times when I over jumped because I was getting used to the power but the biked soaked it up without the harshness my CRF used to have if I over jumped like I did yesterday.

Handling:

I've never had a bike that corners like this. My CRF would want to push through corners and stand up. But this one doesn't, it stays planted and gives you confidence. I was able to sit the YZF into ruts, lay it over, and it never even tried to come out or stand up. It was pure magic, I can't explain how well this bike fits my turning style. I've ridden both a 09 KXF450 and a 09 CRF450 and this bike just feels more predictable. The KXF seemed to have this lazy boy, slow turning feel to it and the CRF was very twitchy with a rear end that wanted to break loose through corners. Some guys like this trait but I sure don't, so much so that this is what polarized me away from Honda. I was on the fence until I rode my buddies. The Honda motor was great, the Egro's excellent, but the bike felt too twitchy for me to spend my hard cash on. Maybe this can be fixed through suspension work but I didn't want to spend a bunch of cash on extras after I was going to have to spend $7300 + for a new bike.

Misc

The clutch seemed a little harder to pull than my buddies CRF, and this is a big issue for me because I get arm pump so easily. I'm planning on looking into options for this but I don't think it's overly harsh to pull in, it's just how I ride that makes it feel that way after awhile.

Brakes. Holy crap, they worked great. No issue, the stoppers we're excellent.

Egro's. The bike is extremely flat and it lets you move around the cockpit without issue. On my Honda I would have to pull myself up to to the tank for turns, on this I didn't even realize how far up I already was going into them. The bike also has a very slim feel to it, but no too slim that you won't be able to grip it with your legs. Overall it's a great feeling ride.

Weight. Yea, it's supposed to be heavy but you can't tell when you're riding it. It was very flickable and easy to maneuver that it would make you think you're riding a 250F. I'm not sure if this is the Mass Centralization, but it just works.

Conclusion:

I'm very happy with this bike. It does everything I expected and more! All bikes these days are excellent and you can't go wrong, but what Yamaha has done with this years YZF is a thing of beauty. So, if you were like me and were on the fence with this bike or another brand I hope this helps you make your decision.:)

• Chas_M

Posted June 28, 2010 - 06:47 AM

Excellent, informative post.

• 450motard

Posted June 28, 2010 - 09:31 AM

Nice report. I took my '10 out for the first time this weekend as well.

I ride in the woods and the place I was riding was in bad shape, so we rarely carried any real speed. In a lot of the really slow stuff, my bike died way too many times. It died several times when I stopped to wait on someone to catch up - after sitting in neutral for a few seconds, I would give it a little gas to proceed and the bike would die as soon as I twisted the throttle. It did this 5 or 6 times. Very frustrating considering it's a brand new FI bike.

Did you have any problems with your bike dying on you?

• Beatcoaster

Posted June 28, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Nice write up - pretty much everything I felt on my 1st ride as well!! :)

450motard...I had this problem starting out in 1st gear with the clutch and mine died a lot as well(if that is indeed what you are describing). It took time for me to realize the fine point at where you rev it and let the clutch slip - now it has zero issues, just needed to learn it's sweet spot, and give it more gas than I typically would.

I will be taking mine into some trails for the first time soon(only open roads/grass lands/hills so far), and am a bit scared of the stock gearing, as 1st gear is not a trail gear at all and definetly need some different sprockets. I think I will be killing it a lot like you are in the trails...

• jeff_wsu

Posted June 28, 2010 - 09:56 AM

450motard,

I didn't have any issues with it dieing on me, the only time it did was because of my own wrong doing and getting used to it, like dropping the clutch to quickly. But it sounds like something may be wrong with your bike if it's dieing that easily. Do you have a Power Tuner? If so make sure the idle speed is set to 2000, they say this is critical to having your bike run correctly. Also if you do that much woods riding I would change the ignition mapping to something a little more tame, the stock power is just way to aggressive for woods in my opinion. Try some of Yamaha's suggested settings here until you find one you like:

http://www.yamaha-mo...r_settings.aspx

Also, if you continue to have this problem call your dealer, there's a 30 day warranty on it so maybe something is wrong that they will correct for free. Good luck with it and give it some time, I'm sure all the frustrations will fade once you get used to it :-)

• thestuz

Posted June 29, 2010 - 03:30 PM

FI sux. my mates just loves to stall. its all balls up below 3000rpm imo. not as smooth and predictable as carb.

i wonder if there was actually a worthy performance gain from fi or just another gimic to strip us of our money. surely not worth the extra 3kg gain.

dont even get me started on the snatchy throttle.

i would prefer a 06.

• TokioMX

Posted June 29, 2010 - 11:47 PM

I adjusted idle up to 2100rpm, and no more stalling. You can see your rpm with a YZPowerTuner.

• jeff_wsu

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:29 AM

FI sux. my mates just loves to stall. its all balls up below 3000rpm imo. not as smooth and predictable as carb.

i wonder if there was actually a worthy performance gain from fi or just another gimic to strip us of our money. surely not worth the extra 3kg gain.

dont even get me started on the snatchy throttle.

i would prefer a 06.

Wow, angry much :-) I think the differences between FI and carb are very slight for the average rider, I think the stall problems are your "mates" getting used to the low end power, all of which can be tuned out using the Power Tuner. I can tell you one thing, it's much easier for me to plug that thing in and change my power on demand instead of taking apart a carb, rejetting, and then crossing my fingers it works out. Plus, I never really had any stall problems. Any I did have was my fault getting used to the bike, just like I did when I first bought my 05 Honda.

• spinyard

Posted July 01, 2010 - 12:50 PM

i wouldn't get back on my 06 carbd motor at all after getting the new fi bike. The fi works amazing and blows the carb away don't hate on new technology just cuz you have an old bike:ride:

• thestuz

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:58 PM

fi works amazing? really?? enlighten me in what im missing out on. ive never ever had any troubles with my carb bikes that couldn be solved in half a hour. if i had a carb bike that ran like this fi, id say there would be something wrong with my carby or engine

. the2010 450 feels like its got the power curve of an xr400 on roids except it stalls more and has significant carb issues at low rpm.

goes just like any other carb 450 before it imo, just signs off earlier and stalls more and has a way too sensative off/on throttle response.

the main selling point for the 2010 yam is the centred weight philosophy.i do like the ability of being able to tune your motor with a computer but come on, who really needs to keep tuning there bike all the time?? turns out most people just keep trying to tune out the problems with fi eg, stalling, too snappy, too little top end, fuel in oil etc.

the fi only gave modest gains at the cost of increased price, less reliability, contaminated oil with fuel, 3kg weight gain,and a whole list of electrical parts that will cost you a fortune to fix when things do go wrong.

dont get me wrong, i love technology when it comes to weight saving and suspension, but this fi is hype in my eyes...

ps jeff, i read that the power tuner only works above 3000 rpm. therefore making it useless in solving the stalling issue. flywheel weight and an idle of 1900rpm and upward are the appropriate upgrades for this stalling problem....or rev the f!@# out of it when taking off. hooray for fi :banana:

next year it will come out with a "flux capacitor" and i bet youll be the first one to run out and buy one :)

ive got enough money to buy whichever bike i like, but for the record, i ride a 01 cr500.
the funny thing is its 20 year old technology and the bike is faster, more powerfull, more reliable,cheaper and easier to work on and lighter that your "technology"..

sure it might be 3 seconds slower a lap if you have not got the balls to ride it but i ride for fun, not lap times.

im not beating up on it, just telling it like it is. other owners just dont like to admit it.

somewhere in life i realised the best things are often the most simple things. jmo.

Edited by thestuz, July 01, 2010 - 03:18 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:06 PM

So, it's not even your bike, you don't own one, you ride a two stroke, and you decided to chime in on an owner's rider report and tell everyone how bad they suck, is that about right? There may be a trolling/brand bashing infraction in your future.

Your opinion has been noted.

• thestuz

Posted July 01, 2010 - 08:59 PM

yeah actually i ride alot of bikes.

the cr500 is one of the most user unfriendly engine built for on/off throttle and excessive midrange and low top end.i thought hopping on a new fi bike would be smoother but imo it was worse for me.(was really good for popping monnos through all the gears though)

i dont think id buy an injected one. ive ridden a few yam 450s and the 10 was my least favourite because of the off idle bog and snatchiness.however it does have a good midrange pull for my liking.

the cam cover leaks, shitty drain bolt location dont really bother me,but the fuel in the oil is also a big issue too.( i cant remember carbys havin that problem)

i love the reliability of yamaha, if i was to buy into the 450s id get a yzf 09 450. just not a fi model. maybe when they work out all the problems.

thats just my ride report.

Edited by thestuz, July 02, 2010 - 03:08 AM.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 02, 2010 - 04:21 AM

yeah actually i ride alot of bikes.

the cr500 is one of the most user unfriendly engine built for on/off throttle and excessive midrange and low top end.i thought hopping on a new fi bike would be smoother but imo it was worse for me.(was really good for popping monnos through all the gears though)

i dont think id buy an injected one. ive ridden a few yam 450s and the 10 was my least favourite because of the off idle bog and snatchiness.however it does have a good midrange pull for my liking.

the cam cover leaks, shitty drain bolt location dont really bother me,but the fuel in the oil is also a big issue too.( i cant remember carbys havin that problem)

i love the reliability of yamaha, if i was to buy into the 450s id get a yzf 09 450. just not a fi model. maybe when they work out all the problems.

thats just my ride report.

I dont know what ur talking about off idle bog. I know mine doesnt have a bog anywhere. You turn the throttle and its there.

• thestuz

Posted July 03, 2010 - 03:07 AM

sorry, bog is prob not the best way to describe it. but it seems as though if you have not got the revs high, ilt will stall on takeoff. it just seems to cut out at low rpm from what im used to on any carb bike.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 03, 2010 - 08:32 AM

sorry, bog is prob not the best way to describe it. but it seems as though if you have not got the revs high, ilt will stall on takeoff. it just seems to cut out at low rpm from what im used to on any carb bike.

even when I lug mine it will pick right up and rev to the end. Something sounds weird to how you are putting it.

When I'm on the line at a race I have my bike just sitting there ideling and when the gate drops I all ready have my wrist in postion so when the gate falls I quickly twist the throttle to wide open(may be pulseing the throttle a little above idel) when I take off it just revs right through the gears.

• AquaNut

Posted July 03, 2010 - 01:15 PM

450Motard - don't speak from experience but I've been reading about guys installing a flyweight "weight" to keep the bike from stalling. I just got an 08 YZ 450 and it took me a little time getting used to how much throttle i needed to get out of 1st gear. My KTM is a whole different feel getting into gear.

Nice report. I took my '10 out for the first time this weekend as well.

I ride in the woods and the place I was riding was in bad shape, so we rarely carried any real speed. In a lot of the really slow stuff, my bike died way too many times. It died several times when I stopped to wait on someone to catch up - after sitting in neutral for a few seconds, I would give it a little gas to proceed and the bike would die as soon as I twisted the throttle. It did this 5 or 6 times. Very frustrating considering it's a brand new FI bike.

• jeff_wsu

Posted July 04, 2010 - 03:25 PM

fi works amazing? really?? enlighten me in what im missing out on. ive never ever had any troubles with my carb bikes that couldn be solved in half a hour. if i had a carb bike that ran like this fi, id say there would be something wrong with my carby or engine

. the2010 450 feels like its got the power curve of an xr400 on roids except it stalls more and has significant carb issues at low rpm.

goes just like any other carb 450 before it imo, just signs off earlier and stalls more and has a way too sensative off/on throttle response.

the main selling point for the 2010 yam is the centred weight philosophy.i do like the ability of being able to tune your motor with a computer but come on, who really needs to keep tuning there bike all the time?? turns out most people just keep trying to tune out the problems with fi eg, stalling, too snappy, too little top end, fuel in oil etc.

the fi only gave modest gains at the cost of increased price, less reliability, contaminated oil with fuel, 3kg weight gain,and a whole list of electrical parts that will cost you a fortune to fix when things do go wrong.

dont get me wrong, i love technology when it comes to weight saving and suspension, but this fi is hype in my eyes...

ps jeff, i read that the power tuner only works above 3000 rpm. therefore making it useless in solving the stalling issue. flywheel weight and an idle of 1900rpm and upward are the appropriate upgrades for this stalling problem....or rev the f!@# out of it when taking off. hooray for fi :lol:

next year it will come out with a "flux capacitor" and i bet youll be the first one to run out and buy one :banana:

ive got enough money to buy whichever bike i like, but for the record, i ride a 01 cr500.
the funny thing is its 20 year old technology and the bike is faster, more powerfull, more reliable,cheaper and easier to work on and lighter that your "technology"..

sure it might be 3 seconds slower a lap if you have not got the balls to ride it but i ride for fun, not lap times.

im not beating up on it, just telling it like it is. other owners just dont like to admit it.

somewhere in life i realised the best things are often the most simple things. jmo.

There's a few interesting things here. First, You're judging a bike you don't own and comparing it to a 01 CR500 -- Comparison FAIL.

Second, I'm not sure where you heard the power tuner is only good above 3000, but I used mine all weekend and got great results from it, I was able to tune out the low end it, put more power in mid, and give it more overrev. My bike was a different animal immediately after doing this. There is no way I could have had this immediate of results on a carb bike.

Third, if your CR500 is such a superior bike to today's why did they stop making/racing them? I'm sure they all got together and said "You know what, the 500 2-strokes are way to good, let's get rid of them.." :) I think they're great bikes and was fortunate to ride them before they went off the market, but in no way can they compete with today's bikes other than in a full out drag race. That's why you only see them ridden in the dunes these days. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone on a 500 at the track.

Fourth, 3 seconds slower a lap! Nice try there as well, again, if they were only sacrificing that much time you'd still see them ridden at the tracks today but they aren't and it has nothing to do with people not having the "balls" to ride them, it's because they're outdated, bulky, and hard to handle.

So you come on here bashing FI bikes right away and all it sounds like is your grossly misinformed and extremely biased. You're entitled to your opinion but you sure don't have many facts to back it up

• honda907

Posted July 04, 2010 - 03:44 PM

Man, that seems like a carburated bike. I have to agree with Mr Captain Knobby, the bike is tremendous down low, no bog, just massive amount of thrust (like tto much , I tuned it out with the programmer as much as I could).:banana:

I have both an 09 and 10 at the moment, so I can tell you the difference.:)

• thestuz

Posted July 05, 2010 - 12:10 AM

so how do you compare the top end of the 09 to the 10?
the 10 has no where near as much compared to other 450s ive ridden.

• verlo18

Posted July 05, 2010 - 09:27 AM

how does it compare. u can set it to however u want it to with tuner if the 09 top end is what u want then set it that way if u want more than map it like that, so to answer your question; it is as good or better if u want it to be. i have an 08 and my best buddie has the 10 and as far as the fuel in the oil; i have had that problem a few times and he hasnt once!!! the bogging down low i installed the quickshot 2 accelerator pump cover and my carbed bike still bogs way more than his. you cant just get on it and ride it for 10 minutes and say its brutal spend a half day on it and once u get used to it, that bike is sick!!! no comparison to my 08 and ive been riding it for 3 years and after 4 hours on the 10 i was better and faster (5-8 seconds a lap faster) with it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.