XR 80 Problem?

7 replies to this topic
  • finglan

Posted April 06, 2001 - 03:52 AM

I cleaned up my Nephews 93 XR 80 for him over the winter. I replaced some parts such as the tires, chain & sprockets, grips, etc. I noticed when the bike idled at a very low rpm there is a rattle in the head. I can't hear it if I turn up the idle. The first thing I thought of is piston slap but the bike doesn't appear to burn any oil. It is still pretty snapy and runs good. Started on the first kick after sitting all winter. My nephew bought it last year and it appeared to have the stock tires and sprockets on it, though they were hosed. I tried to find an XR site like this one to ask this question with no luck. Is this normal for an XR at very low rpm? Has anyone experienced this?

• darbsitton

Posted April 06, 2001 - 04:53 AM

You may want to adjust the timing chain tensoner.

• Jemtec

Posted April 06, 2001 - 11:34 PM

I think thats a good place to look. Sounds like a tensioner to me as well.
Good luck.

• rob1980

Posted April 07, 2001 - 07:18 PM

I had an XR 250 that had a problem similar. Just one day it started to rattle at idle. Turned out it was a majorly worn cam chain.
The tensioner in my XR was different to the Yamahas. It was an automatic tensioning device inside the side of the cylinder and head which applied tension to the chain. Once the chain is worn to a certain limit, it could no longer do its job, and subsequently the chain rattled. I have a feeling some of the smaller 2 valve Hondas are the same, but it has been a while!
Might want to check it out.
Take the rocker cover off, pull up on the top of the chain like you would with a normal chain. If it lifts up off the sprocket, it is cactus. Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finglan

Posted April 16, 2001 - 07:55 AM

There is no more problem, the bike was stolen out of his barn on Friday. He got to ride it twice before some scumbag took it.

• Bill

Posted April 16, 2001 - 08:28 AM

Damn Tim, Where's a cop when you need one? :) :D :D

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• finglan

Posted April 16, 2001 - 09:45 PM

They live on a farm in the country, wouldn't think you would need one there!

• rob1980

Posted April 16, 2001 - 01:11 PM

There is nothing worse than some ****hole stealing something that someone else has worked hard to obtain. I know how that feels to have that happen.
I hope he suffers a lot of pain!
Sorry to hear the bad news

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.