normal operating temp,,,, and max temp?

6 replies to this topic
  • billy the kidd

Posted June 25, 2010 - 10:52 AM

a while back i boughth a trail tech, and when i set it up i set the yellow light on the temp to come on a 200 and the red light to come on a 240 my question is where should they be,,, while riding with my son yesterday in the 100 degree heat,, on some really tight slow trails the temp was bouncing around in the 220 -230 range,,,, until i got moving a little and then it went down to 160 range

my question is how hot is too hot,,, thanks

• BKRacing

Posted June 27, 2010 - 02:21 PM

I wish I had an exact answer for you because I've been wondering the same thing. I've run over 240 once or twice. I take my bike to Nicoll Racing when Im getting stuff done, he (Billy Nicoll) said stop staring at it so much. He said they run that hot sometimes and didn't seem too alarmed. However, since then I had him do his carb mod and a slip on FMF pipe and I haven't seen temps that high, average 190-210, and it is like a whole new bike!

Side note: Nicoll Racing in San Clemente, CA is the only race shop I ever feel completely confident that I'm not gonna get screwed over or overcharged, or return to have work done I didn't ask for. Billy is truly honest and does great work. He has even told me when I don't need something and it would just be a waste of money. I can't say enough good things about Nicoll!

• billy the kidd

Posted June 27, 2010 - 02:37 PM

thanks ,, im not too worried about my temps,, i was just hoping to find out what is normal,,it sounds like its pretty common ,,, thanks again for your input,, any info is good info

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • init ref

Posted June 28, 2010 - 03:20 PM

Boiling into the recovery tank=too hot.

Anything else is acceptable.

I've ridden WRs in Saudi Arabia and as long as you keep moving it'll all work out. Good radiators on these things. Also make sure you are not jetted too lean on the pilot or idle circuit.

ps not cool to hammer people that don't answer your questions immediately.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2010 - 05:31 PM

The max temp depends on your coolant and your cap. With a stock 16 pound (1.1 bar) cap and standard, green, ethylene glycol coolant 50/50 with water, you will boil at about 266-270 at sea level. Propylene glycol at 50/50 is ~5 higher or so.

Normal depends on your riding conditions. The temps and conditions you described are about what I'd expect. There's no thermostat and no fan, so you'll see a wide range of temperatures. Don't be surprised if you see 125 rolling down a smooth road in high gear.

I'd set the yellow light at 240 and the red at 260.

• billy the kidd

Posted June 28, 2010 - 07:53 PM

thanks for the reply,, i just cant afford to rebuild an engine because i was being stupid, i thought i was ok ,,,but you never know,,, it has never been over 235 , and only there for less than a minuite,,, sometimes there is nothing you can do about the trail your on,, so i just stop and let it cool down for a minuite in the shade,, thanks again for the answers,,,

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2010 - 08:26 PM

There's no harm in cooling system temps of 235-250 as long as no boiling is going on. The cooling fans won't activate on most GM cars until 235 is reached. It's considered the upper end of normal.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.