Cam 2

15 replies to this topic
  • jwatts

Posted June 25, 2010 - 04:37 AM

Has anyone ran Cam 2 in there wr 450? i'm thinking of getting some and cutting it with regular gas. What are the pros and cons? thanks guys

• KJ790

Posted June 25, 2010 - 05:07 AM

Unless your bike is detonating now, there are no pros to it over pump gas, it will run exactly the same.

• Jackazz

Posted June 25, 2010 - 06:26 AM

I have to agree with KJ, the only noticeable difference you'll see by running high octane race gas in a properly tuned thumper is the amount of money you spend.

Posted Image

• Mutu

Posted June 25, 2010 - 03:06 PM

I have to agree with KJ, the only noticeable difference you'll see by running high octane race gas in a properly tuned thumper is the amount of money you spend.

Unless your bike is detonating now, there are no pros to it over pump gas, it will run exactly the same.

Spoken by 2 people that haven't used race gas before... :)

• William1

Posted June 25, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Make that three people who will state higher octane will not make you faster (unless less wallet weight makes a difference). The only fuel that can make a bike faster is oyxegenated fuel and you must jet for it. You have to drain it out after every run as it craps up the fuel system if let setting. Higher octane is only needed if you boost teh compression or screw with the timing.

Instead of fooling yourself with race gas, spend the money on time practicing.

• BEATME

Posted June 26, 2010 - 07:43 AM

I cut 50/50 with race fuel, not because there is any performance gain but for something none of the other guys mentioned....protection. I race hare scrambles and GNCC's and in some of the muddier/more technical races there will be times when things get backed up. This will from time to time cause bikes to overheat and this is where the race fuel comes in handy. As the bikes get hotter and hotter they may start to pre-detonate on regular fuel, but with a mix of race fuel in there it will be less prone to do this. It allows the bike to get a little hotter before it starts detonating, and in turn, preventing your motor from self destructing.

• ArcticWR400

Posted June 26, 2010 - 01:47 PM

Don't mean to troll, but you've asked people their opinions, and aside from Mutu, you got answers.

Seems to me like you're set on runnin race gas and not about to let anyone tell you different.

• jwatts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 05:45 AM

As i mentioned in my post i was "THINKING" of cutting it w/ regular gas. I wanted to know if there were any benefits or not before spending $9 dollars a gallon.I seen in my service manual it calls to use 95 or higher octane. The only thing i can get around here is 93,therefore. Thank you again for all your posts, i don't race my bike i just trail ride so, i think cam2 is probably out of the question. Thanks again everyone

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted June 27, 2010 - 06:07 AM

As i mentioned in my post i was "THINKING" of cutting it w/ regular gas. I wanted to know if there were any benefits or not before spending $9 dollars a gallon.I seen in my service manual it calls to use 95 or higher octane. The only thing i can get around here is 93,therefore. Thank you again for all your posts, i don't race my bike i just trail ride so, i think cam2 is probably out of the question. Thanks again everyone

When your manual calls for 95 it means 95 RON octane which is how they rate in Europe. That is equal to 91 RON+MON/2 which is what you get here in North America. So anything over 91 is more than enough.

• ArcticWR400

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Tribal... I was trying to find a reference to this, but you mentioned it first...

Jwatts; check this post out: http://www.thumperta...893#post2827893

Some very useful info here, and also the blue link at the bottom of that post will take you to even more info, probably more than is really worth knowing for most of us... hope this helps!

• jsantapau

Posted June 28, 2010 - 08:11 AM

If You buy a racing fuel designed for an intake manifold of a short length, low vacuum and low heat motorcycle application in a 5 gallon pail the advantage is a fuel that is actually designed for your application(decent performance gain especially in throttle response) but the biggest advantage is a consistency that makes your bike easier to jet for any given instance. Pump fuel is a guess on what you are actually going to get, Cam 2 is meant more for a big block v/8 under full throttle/ full load conditions.

If the cam2 is coming out of a bulk container that has the possibility of setting around any length of time the consistency is of question. If your bike does not demonstrate any traits of poor gas( lousy throttle response / pinging) mixing the two in my opinion would be a waste since if the bike is not pinging you do not need more octane. And unless you are opening a sealed container every time you ride you will never get good consistency no matter what you do

being proficient at tuning would be your biggest performance increase and a sealed container does make jetting easier to understand but the cost to effectiveness is your compromise to figure out

• KJ790

Posted June 28, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Spoken by 2 people that haven't used race gas before... :)

Correction, spoken by someone who knows what he is talking about and can tell you the reason why it will not make a difference. I use race fuels all the time, but race fuels that will actually make a difference in performance. Fuels with high oxygen content (such as VP U4.4) will offer up to a 6% power increase in most engines. Race fuels that are just high octane (such as cam2) will not offer any difference in performance over pump gas in a stock bike, and in some cases a loss of throttle response may actually be noted. Octane rating has nothing to do with performance, it is merely the fuel's resistance to combustion from heat and pressure, i.e. a fuel's resistance to detonation. If you use a high octane fuel in an engine that is not detonating on pump gas, you will not notice a difference. Obviously if you have extensive modifications and your bike is detonating on premium pump gas, then yes, you need higher octane to prevent damage to the engine from detonation. The general rule is that an engine will run the best on the lowest octane fuel you can get get away with without detonation occurring (all other aspects of the two fuels being equal obviously).

• William1

Posted June 29, 2010 - 07:26 AM

KJ, you are beating a dead horse. Octane, stickers, pro tapers, exhaust .....

• ktmhamm3r

Posted June 29, 2010 - 12:32 PM

i ran race gas a couple times in my 2-stroke, perfomance was unchanged. however the bike did run a good deal cooler, and had the added bonus of making everyones eyes water that was behind me :)

• Mutu

Posted June 29, 2010 - 10:26 PM

Correction, spoken by someone who knows what he is talking about and can tell you the reason why it will not make a difference. I use race fuels all the time, but race fuels that will actually make a difference in performance. Fuels with high oxygen content (such as VP U4.4) will offer up to a 6% power increase in most engines. Race fuels that are just high octane (such as cam2).....

My apologies KJ790.

I was under the impression that CAM2 was oxygenated, but turns out it is a term that covers all sunoco fuel. Cam 2 is the generic name for Sunoco's line of racing fuels. Some are leaded, some are oxygenated, and octane levels range from 100 and 104 UL all the way up to 110, 112, and 116 L. :)

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2010 - 06:30 AM

An important thing to remember is that oxygenation is also not necessarily a measure of the energy value of a fuel. Energy value is an expression of the potential energy in fuel, and the presence of oxygenates doesn't always raise this value.

As an example, I give you virtually every pump fuel sold in California, and most of them sold nationwide. These are oxygenated for the purpose of reducing carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbon emissions, and the agents used do very little to improve the energy content of the fuel. Ethanol is one such agent, and I think we all know what a powerful fuel E10 is :)

Some racing fuels, like the U4 series are in fact oxygenated with the intent of releasing additional oxygen into the combustion process to increase power. This benefit comes in part from increasing the heat extracted from the fuel directly, and partly from the fact that the additional oxygen requires adding additional fuel to the A/F mix to balance it.

It is also true that some extremely high energy value gasolines are not oxygenated at all. It's another attribute of fuel chemistry that has to be looked at in its full context in order to mean anything in particular.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.