Bike insurance

13 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 19, 2001 - 11:27 AM

I just found out today that the insurance company that my bike is insured with does not insure bikes that are used in competion.
Do you know of any insurance company that do insure competion bikes.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 19, 2001 - 11:36 AM

Progressive has an off-road policy.
I pay $100 / year
Nick

• SUnruh

Posted January 19, 2001 - 11:44 AM

i have both of my race bikes (98yz250, 01yz250f), my wife's ttr125L and my cbr600f2 through Progressive. actually, my agent (Jim Bolden here in austin - blatant plug) razzed me about riding harescrambles and not being on a KTM!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 19, 2001 - 12:07 PM

Thats pretty funny
Do all insuranve agents ride KTMs
My agent also rides the pumpkin.
Nick

• Tom_N

Posted January 19, 2001 - 02:01 PM

What does this sort of insurance cover? Crashes and motor work???? or just theft? If its the first then sign me up..

• SUnruh

Posted January 19, 2001 - 06:29 PM

mine is total coverage. however, i don't know what happens in the event of a crash that does major damage. i'd have to ask him. i wanted it more for theft and vandalism than anything.

all policies vary from state to state. in texas, your bike is covered (at least that is what my state farm agent says) as longs as it is on the property. once it leaves the yard, it is NOT covered. hence the need for a seperate policy.

• F-Pilot

Posted January 19, 2001 - 08:03 PM

In case some of you have not experienced having your bike stolen be aware that most homeowners policys do NOT cover motorcycles or ATVs. Check with your agent if your not sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastkevin

Posted January 22, 2001 - 06:49 AM

I was B.S'd by AAA (SoCal) into buying homeowner's from them on the basis that, " since the bike is not street legal and subjet to your auto policy, it's covered under homeowner's" ( he lied point blank to my face). I haven't found a company that does offer it under homeowner's. AAA doesn't even offer a recreational vehicle policy (that's what it's called) . For all of you in SoCal, think about that when buying ANY insurance from AAA. They don't support us, why should we support them?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 22, 2001 - 07:10 AM

If I'm not mistaken my deductible is $500. It would take a hell of a wreck to make it worth while to make a claim. I have a loan out on my 400 so I'm pretty sure it is considered full coverage. Yes, it is an offroad policy.

Nick

• Glen_T

Posted January 22, 2001 - 10:27 PM

Allstate insures off road bikes. It's a bit pricy, but you may want to compare it to the others.

GLEN

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 22, 2001 - 10:38 PM

I have progressive right now and I heard they cover off road bikes but not if it is used in competion. so I called them to ask and they said they did not cover competion.
Those that have progressive did you agents say they were covered in competion?
Also I had a bad wreck on one that was covered before and they paid 2,250 to fix it.
so they do cover crashes.

Yelyz400

• JBM

Posted January 23, 2001 - 08:07 AM

I have coverage through Progressive also. It will cover crashes only if you have Collision coverage, which raises the cost by quite a bit. Comprehensive is what covers vandalism, theft, fire, etc. and that is what I have. It about $140 a year for that.

• Jason_in_KC

Posted January 23, 2001 - 01:07 PM

I have insurance through Shield of Shelter, my agent set mine with a generic motorcycle policy, same for street or dirt. It covers damage,theft, collision. $500 deductable, $182 yr. He could also care less if it is raced or parked. I had a buddy of mine's quad that was stolen from his garage 12 days after purchase, no insurance on it yet. Luckily home owners picked it up and cut him a check. Theft is my biggest fear and I made sure that was top on my list.

• mike_dean

Posted January 23, 2001 - 01:18 PM

I have American Family, he didn't ask if I raced. About $100 a year on my 00 426. Full coverage, but my cars and house are with the same guy.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.