At the risk of being flamed, I'm gonna ask a question about oil

15 replies to this topic
  • Toinky

Posted June 23, 2010 - 06:44 PM

So, I know that questions about oil grade, type, etc. have been asked ad nauseum on TT, but I have a question about what my 2006 WR450 manual says about oil weights. It specifically says that in the USA (and Canada) I should only use 20W-40 or 10W-30 depending on temperature. However, it lists numerous weights for non-US bikes. Why is there this difference in what oil is supposed to be used in non-US vs. US bikes?

• Baja trail Rider

Posted June 23, 2010 - 08:04 PM

Dont know about that,but a bunch of us use mobile 1 15-50 in our wr450s have had zero problems.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 23, 2010 - 11:11 PM

Dont know about that,but a bunch of us use mobile 1 15-50 in our wr450s have had zero problems.

I've used 10-40, 20-50, 15-50 and even straight 30w oil. No problems.

Get some oil, change it often.

• Pooley

Posted June 24, 2010 - 04:08 AM

Just remember that if you want to use an automobile oil like Mobil 1 15-50, make sure it does not contain the friction modifiers, or say "energy conserving". Both of those can make your clutch slip excessively.

I ran the Mobil 1 15-50 for years too, without any problems. My local auto parts store no longer carried the non-friction modified, so I switched to an actual motorcycle oil that is made specifically for bikes.

And like mauricedorris said, change it often.

• Toinky

Posted June 24, 2010 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the input/feedback. I'm still curious as to why the manual would state that US/Canadian models should use different weights of oil than other countries. That just seems odd. Does anyone know about this difference?

• Mutu

Posted June 25, 2010 - 03:47 PM

Maybe Japan thinks you guys are simple! :banana:

Just follow the manual for the temp range, which pretty much says use anything! :)

• Flagstaff

Posted June 25, 2010 - 08:48 PM

Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic

• flynz

Posted September 04, 2010 - 07:04 PM

I use Scheaffer racing 20-50 Not a problem yet and its cheaper than Moblie One and a lot better too.:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bauten

Posted September 04, 2010 - 09:20 PM

+1 on the rotella Run that stuff in everything (street bikes/ cr80 wr400 truck)for the past 10 years not a prolbem

• jsantapau

Posted September 05, 2010 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the input/feedback. I'm still curious as to why the manual would state that US/Canadian models should use different weights of oil than other countries. That just seems odd. Does anyone know about this difference?

maybe there is different ways different countries rate their oil?

• jcbikes

Posted September 05, 2010 - 06:13 PM

I run shell rotellaT 15w40 non-synthetic in all my bikes with no problems and tons of miles. great stuff whether you use syn or dino oil

• RSAthump

Posted September 07, 2010 - 04:15 AM

Its based on the climate of your specific country. Mostly temperature.

i run Motul 15w-50 Double Ester. Expensive, but I want my scoot to last..

• Cobalt650

Posted September 11, 2010 - 12:47 PM

How often are you guys changing your oil? I do casual trail riding, always cool in Wisconsin:)

• bulldog1331

Posted September 11, 2010 - 01:37 PM

How often are you guys changing your oil? I do casual trail riding, always cool in Wisconsin:)

Same type weather here in northern Alberta. Oil changes seem to be a very personal thing, and everyone has an opinion. I change mine every 10-12 hours of riding. I'm not racing anymore, but spend a lot of time on tight, technical single track with lots of hilly terrain leading to a lot of clutch feathering. The oil in my WR450 is just starting to turn at that point. Works for me...you'll just have to experiment and adjust according to your riding style.

• YZEtc

Posted September 11, 2010 - 02:01 PM

It probably has to do with what weight Yamaha-branded oils are sold in what countries.

For 25+ years, Yamalube 4 petrolium-based oil was sold in 20/40 weight in the USA.
For about 15 years, it was also sold in 10/30 weight in the USA.
During these years, the Owner's and Service manuals recommended those weights.

For the past few years, a new oil producer has been making Yamalube oils for the USA, and the weights sold now are 10/40 and 20/50.
The Yamaha manuals have been changed for the US specifications to reflect that.

• Col Psoas

Posted September 14, 2010 - 07:46 PM

I run silkolene semi-synthetic 10-40 because I get the hookup on it... any oil will work (no friction modifiers etc of course!). Crappy oil will just lose its viscosity more quickly but then again there are people on this board that change their oil WAY more than is Necessary (flame away if it makes you feel better).

Change your oil every couple rides with a new filter and call it good. To my knowledge there is no mechanical difference between the us vs non us bikes that would require different oil

edit to add: The main reason you change oil isn't even viscosity breakdown, especially with highend synthetics but instead its things that don't belong there In your oil, having 1 quart of oil for a piston trans and clutch is going to be really hard on it and thats why you need to change it often and always use a new filter every time

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.