Hole in case= not much oil left

7 replies to this topic
  • Lcpl0331

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Bought a chain as the old one was......old+stretched. New chain is shiite and stretched a good 2 inches inside of 200 miles. Stretched so far that it was coming forward of the front sprocket and cut a nice groove in the case deep enough that there was one small hole in the middle of it. Being as muddy as it was we didn't notice it until about 80 miles in to the Classic up in New Hampshire. Thinking it was the seal on the front sprocket that was blown out I finished the ride. Well once I got the bike all cleaned up I found the hole. Which leads me to my thing here................ When I did my oil change(which also had about 200 miles on it) I found that there was oh about 3 oz. of oil in the bike:banghead: I had adjusted my valves before I did the oil and everything looked fine. The bike starts as good as ever and sounds fine and there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust. Should I be concerened about damage in the cylinder and what should I look for once I get a chance to go out for a ride to be able to tell if there is any damage in there?

Just so's you all know............... my bike is an '03 and has an estimated 8,000 miles on it. I'm the 3rd owner and I'm pretty sure the bike was super motarded at some point.

• wrrider15

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:12 PM

you should always change sprockets and chain all at the same time and with good quality products,not cheap and nastys [perhaps this is why your new chain wore out so quickly] but i am very sorry to here bout the hole that has worn in the case. as with damage with low oil....you may have been lucky and avoided serious damage....but 3 ounces of oil is pretty bad.
best of luck anyways cobba

• Lcpl0331

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:28 PM

The guy at Ironman sprockets told me I would go thru 2 fronts to every rear. As far as the chain goes I was just being an idiot.

• Mutu

Posted June 22, 2010 - 11:33 PM

I feel for ya mate, but that'll teach ya for skimping on chains....

I wouldn't be too worried about it. These water cooled bikes are pretty good at keeping their cool with lack of oil. They are dry sump anyways.

No way to tell any damage riding it until it quits.

Might be a good time to change piston and rings?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Live 2 Ride

Posted June 22, 2010 - 11:38 PM

Well if any damage has occured it would start at the top end, Pull your valve cover off and look for discoloration (Signs of being Hot). Assuming that it wasnt there before. other than that its just tearing the whole motor down and making sure everything is to spec.

• Jackazz

Posted June 23, 2010 - 08:17 AM

...New chain is shiite and stretched a good 2 inches inside of 200 miles. Stretched so far that it was coming forward of the front sprocket and cut a nice groove in the case deep enough that there was one small hole in the middle of it...

Are you sure your chain was adjusted properly? Even a crap chain shouldn't stretch that badly that quickly, unless it's too tight.

As a guy who once figured out the reason his TL1000R race bike's rear suspension was impossible to tune because the rear suspension was partially a too-tight chain (which soon manifested as a leaking counter-shaft seal) I can vouch for the importance of a correctly adjusted drive chain.

Posted Image

• Lcpl0331

Posted June 23, 2010 - 08:42 AM

Did my valves before the oil change and it all looked fine. No discoloration at all anywhere up top.

The chain slack was right.

• Lcpl0331

Posted June 23, 2010 - 05:14 PM

Went out for a ride around the block tonight. All seems fine. Good compresion going thru the gears up and down. No weird noises(outside of normal weird noises for a WR)
Have an Enduro this weekend and feel comfortable that the bike'll do fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.