New 2010 YZ450 Suspension settings thread.

8 replies to this topic
  • skullcandy

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:40 PM

Post your settings as well as weight, so that we can all compare and find the best suited settings for each other.

Weight 195
Fork .49 fork springs
C 9
R 9

Shock
HS 1
LS 5
RB 9
Sag 102mm

This is a ways off stock, but seems to work the best for me.

• Mike546

Posted June 23, 2010 - 02:01 AM

Are those .49 heavier fork springs?

• NE14MX

Posted June 23, 2010 - 04:04 AM

Mike I believe the stockers are .47's. Here's my current setup. It's basically the the MXA online settings except in fork oil height, compression clicks and shock sag. Oh I forgot to add, I weigh 185lbs without riding gear and consider myself to ride at the vet B level.

Fork settings:
Spring rate: 0.47 kg/mm
Oil quantity: 365cc (stock/MXA 355cc)
Compression: 13 clicks out (13 clicks out stock) (MXA 10 clicks out)
Rebound: 9 clicks out (10 clicks out stock)
Fork leg height: 0mm up

Shock Settings:
Spring rate: 5.7 kg/mm
Race sag: 106mm (MXA 100mm)
Hi-compression: 1-1/2 turns out (1-1/4 stock)
Lo-compression: 7 clicks out (8 clicks out stock)
Rebound: 11 clicks out (14 clicks out)

Edited by NE14MX, June 23, 2010 - 08:57 AM.
additional info.

• Mike546

Posted June 23, 2010 - 04:21 AM

I'm not sure if it's easier to buy new springs or loose 15 lbs. :thumbsup:

I better order some springs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 23, 2010 - 06:56 AM

I weigh 175 lbs

This was my settings when the suspension was stock.

Forks= comp 16 clicks out
Rebound= 8 clicks out

Shock= Rider sag is 106mm static is 48mm
low comp=14 out
rebound= 8 out
high comp is 1 and a half turns out

I now have had myforks and shock redone useing Dave Johnson's kit of the Del taco.

I didnt have to get springs so all springs are still stock. I have the forks pretty well dialed in to suit me but need to tweek on the shock just a little to really dial them in.

All adjustments in clicks is from all the way in.
Forks = compression-11 clicks out
Rebound-9 out

Shock= race sag-102mm
Static sag is 41mm

Low compression=13 out
High compression= 1 and 1 hlaf turns out
rebound= 9 out

• grunkthump

Posted June 24, 2010 - 11:40 AM

captain can you give a del taco comparison on the 10' vs. stock please?? THANKS

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 24, 2010 - 02:24 PM

captain can you give a del taco comparison on the 10' vs. stock please?? THANKS

I felt a huge difference in the forks right off the bat. Now.....i weigh 175lbs in street cloths and ride at a high B level skill.

I had my suspension tuner near me do the work cause he buy's his stuff and talks with dave johnson quit a bit (small world). my tuner use's smart performance stuff and has for many years but it was just lately that I found out that my tuner knows Dave Johnson.

I told steve (my tuner) how much i weighed and he new what level i rode and has seen me ride cause he revalved a 06 I had. Anyways.... i felt a big difference in the forks, they were not harsh like they were before but I did like the stiffness of the stock 2010 forks when it came to landing off of big jumps.

You could over jump sometimes and still be sitting and when I landed it felt as if I hadnt of jumped. I told my tuner this when he was getting ready to order this kit from dave.

The shock and forks still have that stiffness when landing but what is strange about it that the forks are real plush through the whole stroke that I can carry twice the speed I use to at the same track when it was stock.

I love the way it haldles and soaks up all the breaking bumps no matter how big and deep they are (just soaks them right up). I need to dial my rear shock in but I'll have to wait till this sunday at the race during practice. thats when my tuner will be there.

he said he would get it really dialed in then. ive got it somewhat in the ballpark but the Highspeed needs to be tweeked a little and I believe i need to go in a click or two on the low compression.

It has that new fluid in the shock and forks also which is the 215.VM2.K5 fluid. This suspension I have now has helped my riding performance a lot, another thing i noticed abot the forks is that they dont feel as if they are going to wash out like they did before.

before when i was going around turns the front felt like it was on the verge of washing out when I was carrying to much speed. Now they dont even have that washing out feeling carrying more speed than I did before the suspension service.

I can tell a big difference in just a click or two in the clickers of the forks. I can add a couple of clicks to the compression and you can really tell they stiffened up same with turning them in to soften them. I usually turn them in a couple during the first ride at the track when the dirt is loamy and churned up and before the ruts appear. I turn them out to soften them when the track dries and breaking bumps start to appear.

But I may just leave them where I have them at now cause this past weekend they felt surpurb through the whole day. It was money well spent and I wouldnt take it back knowing how it performs now.

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2010 - 02:45 PM

That's the trademark of the Del Taco; it's uncanny ability to take the big hit. They're pretty impressive all around, but what always gets to me is the question of what happens to all that energy? What does it do with it? Don't really know, but the desert comes up with one of its "surprises" I'm still amazed by how the fork handles the impact. Stuff like running over a drop off and landing front wheel first on the opposite, uphill side leading out (Something like landing on the opposing face of a double with your front wheel) just doesn't cause as much trouble as you know it should.

Have you also noticed that the rear seemed better under control than before, or was it not as prone to kicking around as your '06 to begin with?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 21, 2010 - 02:57 PM

That's the trademark of the Del Taco; it's uncanny ability to take the big hit. They're pretty impressive all around, but what always gets to me is the question of what happens to all that energy? What does it do with it? Don't really know, but the desert comes up with one of its "surprises" I'm still amazed by how the fork handles the impact. Stuff like running over a drop off and landing front wheel first on the opposite, uphill side leading out (Something like landing on the opposing face of a double with your front wheel) just doesn't cause as much trouble as you know it should.

Have you also noticed that the rear seemed better under control than before, or was it not as prone to kicking around as your '06 to begin with?

Sorry to get back so late but the rear didnt kick as bad as the 06 but I wasnt running enough rebound on 2010 after getting the suspension done. I was like 11 clicks out (from all the way in) and it was causing the rear to bounce from side to side in the rough sections of the track.

Backed the clickers to the rebound out 6 more clicks to 17 out and man did it make a huge difference in the rough stuff. My rear was to slow before causing it to pack and by opening up the rebound it really settled it down and I was able to hammer down in the rough.

It made it jump a lot smoother too. It just gives it this kinda weird feeling of the front dipping down a little when leave the jump face. Guess its the rear coming up faster.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.