99 yz400f problem!!

3 replies to this topic
  • bodybagz66r

Posted June 22, 2010 - 04:47 PM

The bike started earlier but when i would give it gas it would backfire and shut off on accel. past the quarter throttle mark. Bike ran perfectly fine before i put it away 5 days ago, long story short i removed the airfilter to clean and found it had no guide on it. It was just mounted to the airbox via the bolt so i decided to clean it while i replaced the clutch. Anyways i wanted to take it for a ride w/ the new clutch before i cleaned the filter so i threw it back in there (mind its not that dirty) anyways now it wont start. Could if be that it needs that guide? I just dont understand why it ran perfect before! im dripping with sweat and tired!! sorry if i rambled need help please!!

• 09speeddemon

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:42 PM

To me it sounds like you need to clean your Carb, A lot of times what happens when they sit they will start and run then when you shut them down something breaks loose in the carb and plugs up one of the jets or the floats get stuck.
Hope this helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:47 PM

Change the spark plug and don't ride it in the dirt until you get the filter cage.

• DGXR

Posted June 23, 2010 - 02:01 PM

The bike will run without an air filter element but it's not a good idea, esp in the dirt. When you say the air filter "had no guide" do you mean the whole cage is missing from inside the foam element? Or is it just missing the tab/spike thing that lines up the filter assembly inside the airbox? The filter could shift around without the spike so like grayracer said, get a complete cage and make sure it's all mounted square and tight before riding it off road.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.