Just installed 06yz450 carb on 99yz400

4 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hi there, so Ive got the new carb all installed, removed yz400 hot start mechanism and added a hot start lever on the bar for the new remote hot start...

what do i use to plug up the the hole where the old hot start went into the head?

also do i have to plug the hole in the airbox too?

I bought the 06 carb on ebay recently the ad said it was only used for 2hours use as it was removed and an edelbrock carb installed.

before i put the new carb on i inspected everything blew some air through the jets everything looks very new.........im assuming the jetting is stock it is 165 main 42 pilot, 4th needle clip positon, does that sounds like stock, im riding at sea level ....the fuel screw is 2 turns out right now ....i havn't attempted to start it yet as i need to plug the hole .....

tammie

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:47 AM

You can go to an auto parts store and ask for a vacuum cap. A lot of times, they will be sold in packages of assorted sizes. Just in case, you should measure the diameter of the stub the hose went on, or take the hose with you to get the right size.

Glue them in place with a bit of weatherstrip or grip cement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tammie

Posted June 22, 2010 - 11:22 AM

thanx !!! going to part source now they are just down the street ...

• jayh300

Posted June 22, 2010 - 12:03 PM

on the air box hole...iirc... when i did the remote HS on my 400, they sent a plug for the air box hole.. i would think you would want to plug it, gray would prolly know better...
it was just a round metal pin like a solid dowel pin with a dome head on it..

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2010 - 12:20 PM

I forgot how that went on exactly. You're right, it's a hole in the air boot at that end.

So, I would find a vacuum cap with an O.D. large enough to fit snugly into the air boot, and a plastic trim retainer with a shank that would fit in the cap and a head too large to slip down the hole. Shove the trim retainer into the vacuum cap, and then push the whole thing into the hole.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.