2011 WR's?

28 replies to this topic
  • rx1mtnman

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:30 AM

Are there any rumors floating around yet about the '11 WR450? I am looking at trading my back up sled in this fall possibly on a new 450. Just curious if they are going fuel injected and more in line with the YZ or if I should just try to find a holdover somewhere.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 22, 2010 - 11:24 AM

I think we'll have to wait one more year if this is any indication.
http://www.totalmoto...maha-WR450F.htm

• YamaLink

Posted June 22, 2010 - 03:40 PM

Canada Yamaha shows bold new graphics for the 2011 wrf line.

• JDLowrance

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:29 PM

BNGs then. Fine with me. i can definitely ride my 09 for a couple of more years.

John

• Nutty Professor

Posted June 23, 2010 - 02:28 AM

I think we'll have to wait one more year if this is any indication.
http://www.totalmoto...maha-WR450F.htm

So much for this link, the first pic is a 2009 YZ450F!

I have a pre-prod (compliance mule) 2011 WR450, it only differs from the 2010 (which the US didn't get?) in four areas;

Vent hoses all sit on LHS of motor
White rear guard
YZF style front fender
BNGs

IMHO, there's no way the 2010 YZ450F will make an enduro racer, there's nowhere to put a bigger tank, the air-box will flood, the exhaust will cook the rider while waiting at controls and the FI drinks fuel. I also prefer the heavier front wheel weight bias of the older chassis.

Now, the current YZ250F with a 350 motor. Mmmmmmmmmm

• JCHB

Posted June 23, 2010 - 06:12 AM

I'm still on my 2007 CRF250x for the same reasons. Got to be more than BNG to make me throw down some hard earned cash for a machine that is going to get beaten up in the bush. A slimmer WR with a few pounds less plus is needed. I also like the idea of a button start YZ 350F WR!! Or even a 290!!

• rx1mtnman

Posted June 23, 2010 - 07:24 AM

In that case I think I will start shopping for a hold over. WR350F??? Hmmmmmm!

• Bandit9

Posted June 23, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Why not take a look at the Suzuki RMZ450X. Has the FI.

• YamaLink

Posted June 23, 2010 - 09:53 AM

Good option. Has anyone made a larger tank for it?

Why not take a look at the Suzuki RMZ450X. Has the FI.

• JDLowrance

Posted June 23, 2010 - 11:23 AM

So much for this link, the first pic is a 2009 YZ450F!

I have a pre-prod (compliance mule) 2011 WR450, it only differs from the 2010 (which the US didn't get?) in four areas;

Vent hoses all sit on LHS of motor
White rear guard
YZF style front fender
BNGs

IMHO, there's no way the 2010 YZ450F will make an enduro racer, there's nowhere to put a bigger tank, the air-box will flood, the exhaust will cook the rider while waiting at controls and the FI drinks fuel. I also prefer the heavier front wheel weight bias of the older chassis.

Now, the current YZ250F with a 350 motor. Mmmmmmmmmm

Can't really compare what we're getting here with your bikes Downunder. Yamaha Australia does quite a bit to the bikes to make them ADR compliant. hose routing and such cannot always be compared.

Looks like we'll be getting the 09 with BNGs here in the US. Like I said before, that's fine with me.

John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nutty Professor

Posted June 23, 2010 - 04:59 PM

Can't really compare what we're getting here with your bikes Downunder. Yamaha Australia does quite a bit to the bikes to make them ADR compliant. hose routing and such cannot always be compared.

Looks like we'll be getting the 09 with BNGs here in the US. Like I said before, that's fine with me.

John

The AUS compliance kit isn't very comprehensive JD. It's also fitted at point of manufacture, not in Australia.The ADR kit is:

ADR loom for horn, indicators, blinker can and rear brake light.
Front and rear brake pressuure switches.
Delete of AIS
Larger AC headlight assembly
Switchblock to control high/low beam, indicators, locking kill switch and horn
FIM Metzeler tires
Dual mirrors

I think that's it.

• Bandit9

Posted June 23, 2010 - 05:45 PM

So the big issue with the Suzuki is the small tank? Yeah, I can see how that is a problem.

• gsa102

Posted June 24, 2010 - 08:28 AM

I'm not sure FI will be a good thing on a woods bike. Throttle response with FI is supposed to be kind of touchy, and you lose fuel capacity because of the fuel pump. No reason to add more weight to the WR.

• 2in2out

Posted June 24, 2010 - 09:05 AM

Good option. Has anyone made a larger tank for it?

Yes. IMS has a 2.7 gal.(I think) tank for it. After changing the throttle stop, adding the Yosh Cherry Bomb, and uncorking the exhaust, the RMX450 is supposedly a really good bike.

Only issue I've heard is that it takes a long cranking time using the E-start.

FMF has produced exhaust for the RMX, but FI/Ignition mapping needs to be adjusted for the lean condition that occurs.

There has been discussion about changing throttle cam profiles to take the "switch" effect out of the other FI bikes.

• the_smoo

Posted June 24, 2010 - 02:21 PM

the australian conversion is not done overseas at point of manufacture.. its a local company in australia that does the full complete conversion to make it ADR compliant..

set up a similar deal in the US and maybe reg could apply to the lower 50?

http://www.yrt.com.a...ailzone_yrd.pdf

• JDLowrance

Posted June 24, 2010 - 07:05 PM

That was my understanding as well. I lived there for four years and did a fair amount of racing. The guy who sponsored me, Woody from Race Motorcycles in Alice Springs, told me how the ADR procedure worked.

Didn't want to start a pissing match over what essentially amounts to nothing.

John

• gsa102

Posted June 25, 2010 - 08:31 AM

Too bad someone can't sneak some Aussie models over here!

• yamaha227

Posted June 27, 2010 - 03:52 PM

Yes. IMS has a 2.7 gal.(I think) tank for it. After changing the throttle stop, adding the Yosh Cherry Bomb, and uncorking the exhaust, the RMX450 is supposedly a really good bike.

Only issue I've heard is that it takes a long cranking time using the E-start.

FMF has produced exhaust for the RMX, but FI/Ignition mapping needs to be adjusted for the lean condition that occurs.

There has been discussion about changing throttle cam profiles to take the "switch" effect out of the other FI bikes.

The 2010 RMX is a POS, just read dirt riders review, better off sticking with a WR.

http://www.dirtrider...test/index.html

• Nutty Professor

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:41 PM

That was my understanding as well. I lived there for four years and did a fair amount of racing. The guy who sponsored me, Woody from Race Motorcycles in Alice Springs, told me how the ADR procedure worked.

Didn't want to start a pissing match over what essentially amounts to nothing.

John

the australian conversion is not done overseas at point of manufacture.. its a local company in australia that does the full complete conversion to make it ADR compliant..

http://www.yrt.com.a...ailzone_yrd.pdf

This was the case for YZ250WR, a street registered 2T MX bike which was locally kitted and some other models. It's certainly not the case for WRFs.

Having a son who is a factory sponsored Yamaha rider in the US, I do get to pick my bikes up straight off the boat from Japan. The ADR loom is in all Asian market streetable WRFs, only the optional large headlight, quality Metzeler tyres and a second mirror are extras for Oz. Strangely, the ADR headlight works better and is lighter than the stocker.

• Mutu

Posted June 28, 2010 - 02:22 AM

The 2010 RMX is a POS, just read dirt riders review, better off sticking with a WR.

http://www.dirtrider...test/index.html

The stock WR is a POS too! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.