Brand Opinions Wanted - best replacement air filter '09 YZ450F

11 replies to this topic
  • phart2005

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:07 AM

The OEM air filter is total crap. Its flimsy and it ripped during the first cleaning. Yes, I was a bit rough when cleaning it, but in the past I have cleaned many foam filters and been fine.

Unfortunately, my only option at the time was a direct replacement that is the same crap. Strangely, the GYT-R filter that is on the Yamaha site right now is wrong for the bike. The local dealer had one, but it was completely different, even though the part numbers are correct. It looked much nicer than the OEM filter, but it was just not the right one.

I am going to look into a UNI or Twin Air or ?? I am just looking for opinions from people who have used them.

What do you guys like best?

I am not sure about K&N for the extreme dust that our Norther Michigan trails get. At the dunes, K&N is fine, but I don't think they are enough for the very fine dust that we see up north in the summer.

• husqy360

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:10 AM

i use the twin air.

• mx369

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:26 AM

I use a CLEAN one. heheh

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:42 AM

I would imagine it is the same or similar to the WR. I have always gone with Uni's and been very happy.

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:48 AM

Any top tier dual layer foam filter is about as good as the other. It's the oil that actually does the filtering, anyway. The foam just holds the oil up in front of the dirt.

I use Twin Air, mostly because I get a deal on them. UNI's are good, too. I don't like the pre-oiled filters because the foam layer isn't deep enough to be effective, IMO.

K&N's are an enigma. If these filters are oiled right, they will both flow air better and filter better than foam. There are two problems with that. One is that the thin cross section of the media means that they trap 100% of their capacity very quickly, which leads to them passing dirt sooner than foam. The other is that it is nearly impossible to thoroughly oil the media through without dipping the element. This method requires a lot more oil than is needed to service foam elements, and then leaves the problem of draining or blowing out the excess. IMO, they aren't worth the trouble unless you don't care how well they work.

• Red Dog

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:58 AM

Like you I have used a few different brands. And since some of them don't hold up well, I use Twin Air in all 3 of our bikes. They fit, they last, and most importantly they do a good job.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:13 AM

I swap between a twin air and a uni. The uni is two separate peices which makes it easier to clean and it drys faster. However, it started to rip the first cleaning, so I prefer the twin air it just feels like better quality.

• phart2005

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like Twin Air is the winner. Thank you guys.

Except for the 'I use a clean one guy' - not very helpful. Jk, I knew you were just having fun, which is what its all about.

• cbrewer450

Posted June 22, 2010 - 07:16 PM

I use a Uni in my 03 450.. Had the bike 2 years and have 2 uni filters so I always have a clean one ready. Have tried the no-toil.. crap... The Uni is a great fit and pretty strong.

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:34 PM

just bought a new uni for my 450 a few months back they seem to be making them cheap now. not the same they were even two years ago.

• 09speeddemon

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:16 PM

I really like the moose duel filter i have had very good luck with them and, best part is i pick them up for 15 bucks!!

• mikenash

Posted June 23, 2010 - 05:42 AM

Like you I have used a few different brands. And since some of them don't hold up well, I use Twin Air in all 3 of our bikes. They fit, they last, and most importantly they do a good job.:thumbsup:

What he said!!!:lol:

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.