Trying to True a Wheel

4 replies to this topic
  • RWYZ450F

Posted June 21, 2010 - 09:52 AM

I found a few threads but couldn't find anything to directly answer my question. How exact should I be when I am doing this. I have gotten the wheel true within 2 millimeters (maybe less). Is the only acceptable deviation 0mm? I worked at it for about an hour last night and worked on it a couple hours a few nights ago but can't seem to get the wheel to stop wobbling that 2 millimeters. I'm going to be selling the bike as soon as I get this wheel fixed. I'd like to do it right so I have a good conscience when selling it.

I found these posts that was pretty informative but didn't quite answer my question. Hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

http://www.thumperta...ight=true wheel

http://www.thumperta....471&highlight=

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 21, 2010 - 11:26 AM

I found a few threads but couldn't find anything to directly answer my question. How exact should I be when I am doing this. I have gotten the wheel true within 2 millimeters (maybe less). Is the only acceptable deviation 0mm? I worked at it for about an hour last night and worked on it a couple hours a few nights ago but can't seem to get the wheel to stop wobbling that 2 millimeters. I'm going to be selling the bike as soon as I get this wheel fixed. I'd like to do it right so I have a good conscience when selling it.

I found these posts that was pretty informative but didn't quite answer my question. Hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction.

http://www.thumperta...ight=true wheel

http://www.thumperta....471&highlight=

Are you trying to "true" a previously bent wheel ? Bent is bent, you're not supposed to use spoke torque to straighten a bent wheel. When I re-lace wheels, I try to get near .060" of axial or radial runout. No need for tighter tolerence with a dirt bike wheel IMO...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2010 - 12:00 PM

It's often necessary to loosen some spokes in order to move a segment of the rim left or right. Once the spoke tension gets high enough, just tightening the spokes pulling left won't be enough to pull the rim left; you'll have to come off the spokes pulling right a little bit first.

Also, you'll find that you need to work with sets of 3 or 4 or more spokes near the deflecting spot, rather than one on one side and one on the other.

Once the wheel is straight, round, and on center, you can even up the torque a bit more.

And of course, as PB said, you can't fix bent with a spoke wrench. 2 mm is .080". That's not too bad, really, even on a street bike.

• Steel Panther

Posted June 21, 2010 - 03:57 PM

If the rim is not bent and the wheel was built right, you should never have to loosen spokes your just asking to mess stuff up. I mean they dont tighten themselves! Im comming from extensive bicycle experience and ive never had the pleasure to work on a dirt bike wheel that was off that much though!

• RWYZ450F

Posted June 22, 2010 - 05:58 PM

Thanks guys. I've got the wheel true and round and back on the bike. It wasn't as far out of true as I thought it was.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.