06 yz450f clicking sound in frame when turning the wheel

17 replies to this topic
  • mxkid23

Posted June 20, 2010 - 09:27 PM

i discovered a leak of what seems to be oil on the back of my front fender and now everytime i turn my wheel when its on a stand it makes this nasty clicking sound that comes from the front of the frame where the handle bars and forks connect and ideas on what this is and how bad it will affect the bike? thanks!

• DBMX 925

Posted June 20, 2010 - 10:44 PM

It's gas from the overflow on the fender. Look at the steering stem bearings, it sounds like it's time to replace them.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2010 - 07:44 AM

The two are not related, either, BTW. The gas overflow is normal, and passes through the hollow stem without contacting the bearings.

Unfortunately, failed steering bearings are nearly normal for the '06-'09 models, too. They dont seal water out of the steering head top bearing well at all, and if you don't keep them well greased with a water proof marine grade grease, and avoid directly spraying the top bearing seal, they'll go bad.

Yamaha has an upgraded bearing that replaces the original top bearing. It includes an integrated seal within the bearing itself, and the PN is 93332-00078-00. The old PN is very similar (93332-00068-00). Be sure you get the new one. Normally, it will automatically be superseded, but there could be old stock floating around.

• mxkid23

Posted June 21, 2010 - 01:24 PM

how do i grease them? do i need to take the whole front handle bar and forks off?

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2010 - 02:50 PM

Yes.

http://motocross.tra...-steering-stem/

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 22, 2010 - 02:49 AM

how do i grease them? do i need to take the whole front handle bar and forks off?

My buddies '06 bearings were so bad that handlebars siezed tight over winter storage ! Take a GOOD look at the bearing races when you have things apart, i'll bet they will be badly pitted and need to be replaced.

• mxkid23

Posted June 22, 2010 - 09:10 PM

thanks will do

• RaloTomassi

Posted July 02, 2010 - 10:08 AM

I am having the EXACT same issue with my RM250. There is leakage coming from the front of the frame and the clicking noise during steering. I want to grease my steering bearings, and I did look at the link above on how to remove the stem, however, even when I remove the steering head nut, the stem DOES NOT release downward. Has anyone had this problem or know if there is anything additional that needs to be done?

• mikenash

Posted July 02, 2010 - 08:43 PM

My buddies '06 bearings were so bad that handlebars siezed tight over winter storage ! Take a GOOD look at the bearing races when you have things apart, i'll bet they will be badly pitted and need to be replaced.

What he said :)

And regrease them often especially if you ride in muddy conditions.:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz125jac

Posted July 02, 2010 - 08:56 PM

bad bearings. lube/grease em after every wash with the pressure washer

• RaloTomassi

Posted July 07, 2010 - 04:13 PM

Ok, thanks....I just ordered some penetrating oil to get the stem out, so I'll have results in about a week...

• kingzero

Posted July 07, 2010 - 05:07 PM

Definitely replace them.....I took mine apart over the weekend and they were packed full of aluminum slag beads from the frame being welded. I had to use brake cleaner to spray out the stem cavity.

• Luigic81

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:38 AM

I was just going through my steering head on bearings on a new to me '06 450, the bottom one looks great, the top one, not so great :smirk:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

my question is, to remove the upper race can I hit anywhere on the exposed "lip" seen in these pics, or is part of that the actual steering column that I could cause damage to if I beat the heck out of it? thanks

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Luigic81

Posted July 13, 2010 - 09:22 AM

where does the frame end and the race start is what I'm asking I guess.... which one of these green arrows points to where I should whack it
Posted Image

Edited by Luigic81, July 13, 2010 - 09:42 AM.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 13, 2010 - 02:33 PM

I am having the EXACT same issue with my RM250. There is leakage coming from the front of the frame and the clicking noise during steering. I want to grease my steering bearings, and I did look at the link above on how to remove the stem, however, even when I remove the steering head nut, the stem DOES NOT release downward. Has anyone had this problem or know if there is anything additional that needs to be done?

There is a spanner nut under the triple clamp you need to take loose first most likely.

• Luigic81

Posted July 13, 2010 - 07:45 PM

nevermind, I got it out

• RaloTomassi

Posted July 19, 2010 - 07:05 AM

There is a spanner nut under the triple clamp you need to take loose first most likely.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I just got some Aero-Kroil, let it set in, and then knocked the stem down with a hammer and it dropped right on out. But now, I think I need to replace BOTH bearings and I'm not sure what to do about the lower bearing that is attached to the lower part of the stem.

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2010 - 07:56 AM

You can search that and find quite a few suggestions. The bearing is pressed on, and in the unlikely event that you have access to the right size taper bearing press plate, you can simply press it off.

My favorite method is to press the entire stem down out of the bottom of the triple clamp. There are cautions to be followed:

http://www.thumperta...d.php?p=3370282

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.