Rear Brake Rotor

6 replies to this topic
  • DesertChris

Posted June 09, 2003 - 05:17 AM

I smacked it on a rock yesterday and bent it good. I tried to straighten in but I am thinking it's a lost cause. The dealer wants $127 for a new one but I found a Titax at rockymountain for $49.99. There are two others listed for around $90, anyone have any good reason not to use the cheap one?

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted June 09, 2003 - 10:21 AM

you get what you pay for. I tried this with my truck and the rotors ended up warping and galling.

• ralphfurley

Posted June 10, 2003 - 03:34 AM

Sorry to hear of your breakage...but...
It makes me feel like my Scotts Shark fin
was worth it !! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertChris

Posted June 10, 2003 - 04:17 AM

Due to the lack of any negative responces I went ahead and order the $49 rotor. I work on cars too, so I am also painfully aware of the low quality of aftermarket parts. Motorcycles seem to be a different story though, most of the stuff is way over-priced even when it is total crap. I will be getting a good quality shark fin but their protection is limited, you can still slide into something and bend it from the rear. Racing is hard on the parts and I would rather replace two cheap ones than take out one expensive one. Yamaha is a rip-off when it came to this part.

• DesertChris

Posted June 16, 2003 - 07:32 AM

The cheap one is now proven. I had a 75 mile difficult race the weekend and it held up fine. The only down side is it is zinc coated heat treated iron. The brake pads remove the zinc coating where they contact the rotor and that part is susceptible to surface rust if left to air dry and no brake action after getting wet. I give it a :) as a cheaper alternative when replacing the rear rotor.

• Burnrider

Posted June 16, 2003 - 04:29 PM

The brake pads remove the zinc coating where they contact the rotor and that part is susceptible to surface rust if left to air dry and no brake action after getting wet. I give it a :) as a cheaper alternative when replacing the rear rotor.

Would you recomend sanding of the zinc coating prior to installation. I went with EBC and they are okay. They are in the $100 price range with other rotors.

• DesertChris

Posted June 17, 2003 - 05:10 AM

Na, the coating is very thin and wears off instantly in the contact area when the brake is applied. Sanding would expose more surface than is necessary. I was considering the $100 rotors but the only difference is stainless steel vs. hardened steel. The $50 I saved went towards grips, tear offs, and an extra set of goggles and lenses. The rotor worked great during 75 miles of desert torture, the ability to have fresh goggle after 43 miles of eating dust... priceless!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.