buying an older bike

6 replies to this topic
  • mowltr

Posted June 19, 2010 - 03:18 AM

Do you think it is a good idea to buy a plated 2003 wr450 (the only reson i'm interested is because its plated)? The guy only wants $1,800 for it but I dont know if I want a seven year old fourstroke around. From the pictures it doesn't look like its a particularly low hour bike. Should I buy it and put in a new piston and rings or is this thing probably ready to explode.

• ArcticWR400

Posted June 19, 2010 - 09:17 AM

Probably not going to explode... well-ridden, previously enjoyed, high time bikes can often very reliable because someone who rides a lot will usually stay up to date on maintaining their bike. Just a thought...

• Lcpl0331

Posted June 19, 2010 - 05:33 PM

At just $1800 you could freshen up all the high wear items and still be ahead of the curve. I bought my plated '03 last year and have 2-3k dirt miles on it and it runs great.
One thing you have to find out is if the starter has been ugraded. If not then I'd pass on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ArcticWR400

Posted June 20, 2010 - 01:24 PM

pshhh... remove starter, problem solved... haha. Kicking them isn't that hard...

• mowltr

Posted June 20, 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the replys I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. If I do buy it i'm going to have to put DOT approved tires on it so it will pass inspection (he doesn't ride it on the road much so he hasn't bothered getting it inspected for a few years). I would probably get a new piston and rings put in. I'm not really worried about the starter, the battery in my honda has been dead since a month after I got it. So if I pay $1,800 (I doubt he will come down any, he first had it listed for $2,500) for it and put tires and a piston in it I'll have around $2,300 in it assumeing it doesn't need anything else. I guess $2,300s not bad for a 2003 fourstroke with a new piston and tires.

• Lcpl0331

Posted June 20, 2010 - 07:06 PM

It's not the battery that's the problem. It's the woodruff key. When that goes it'll frag the motor.

• mowltr

Posted June 24, 2010 - 06:51 AM

I decided not to buy it, thanks for the help.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.