Lookin' to replace 520exc with WR450, anyone done it?

6 replies to this topic
  • Cary

Posted June 08, 2003 - 05:49 PM

Had a '98 YZ400 B4 the KTM520 and am up for a new ('04) bike. Not sure on which 450, WR or KTM. Love the KTM but looking for a change. Has anyone done similar. Nice decision to have to make huh :)

• yamahasocal450

Posted June 08, 2003 - 06:06 PM

i would take the 520 and put a 570 punch out kit in it.... after that... hold on put a smaller rear sprocket on that baby with a new pipe... then hold on (personally id duct tape my hands on there and put a wheelie bar on the back because your talking about 110 mph+ and 100 mph wheelies forever :D :) :D :D :D :D

• yamahasocal450

Posted June 08, 2003 - 06:09 PM

but then again its your riding style the 450 is a lot more nimble and flickable in the woods than a 520, but both bikes have about the same top speed i think, so if things are going to get where you need the best of both worlds the 450 is a good bet i would think.. and with a few mods

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue_beast_wins

Posted June 08, 2003 - 09:57 PM

Try before you buy has always made these decisions easy for me, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if i have changed from one to the other or not because i can guarentee you my freind my preferences and riding style is bound to be nothing like yours :)

• blueballs

Posted June 09, 2003 - 02:43 PM

I did it! 13 yeas of riding KTM’s and I thought it was time for a change! Selling my 2000 520EXC, which I love!!!!! and bought a new WR450F. I have struggled with the Yamaha handling :D for approx 250 miles. Only starting to get a feel for the bike. Switch with my KTM friends for a while and I feel right at home on the KTM. Something about the feel and handling. Anyway, as far as the power, I am 6’1” 200pounds and the 520 always put a smile :Don my face while riding. I switched to the 450 because of all the talk about how much easier the 450 was in the woods. I have not found this to really be true! :) The difference is so slight; I would prefer the additional power of the 520. Find someone with a new 450 and ride it long enough to form your own decision. :D

• 426Woodsguy

Posted June 10, 2003 - 08:43 AM

My dad grought home a 520exc the day after I got my 01 426 and has at least twice as many miles on it. (RETIRED) Anyway, I rode his bike last night and was amazed how easy it was to ride. Gobs of power, good brakes, and feels lighter. If it wasn't for the $1,000 or so price difference, I might be sold on a KTM. We don't have much choice for a shop where I am, so the Big Blue decision is easier yet. Good luck with your decision though, I wish it was mine to make. :)

• Chas_M

Posted June 10, 2003 - 12:57 PM

Another big plus for the KTM 520EXC is that it is a green sticker bike and has a CA approved EPA sticker which makes it much easier to street license it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.