wheelies sit or stand?

22 replies to this topic
  • gasgaspilot

Posted June 18, 2010 - 02:32 AM

On your WR do you find it easier to do stand up or sitdown wheelies?

• YamaLink

Posted June 18, 2010 - 07:15 AM

More often sitting down unless I'm coming down hill and then onto a flat or slight uphill, then a standing wheel is easier due to increased momentum and rebounding of forks.

• ak567

Posted June 18, 2010 - 09:13 AM

I learned how to wheelie on my wr and progressed on the sport bike. I still find standups hard as u cant cover the rear brake as well and i find it easier to balance on the balance point sitting down. But stand ups look bad ass. :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 18, 2010 - 09:21 PM

I prefer sitting. However pulling a long stand up wheelie makes me feel more accomplished.

• gasgaspilot

Posted June 19, 2010 - 03:33 AM

I prefer stand ups as you can see better, but can go through the gears / cover brake better when sitting
have a look at this vid

• elkwtchr1

Posted June 19, 2010 - 06:54 AM

Howdy from Colorado!
Great You tube video! I've always wanted to learn how to Wheelie, I'm not sure if it's something you can teach not being in person but can any of you guys give me some online pointers? You say sitting is easier to control the back brake? Do you balence at some point when the front wheel is pretty high up? The natural fear is that you go over the back. How do get past that and find the sweet spot? Any help would be apprieciated! I know the WR is great at pulling them. I've been riding for 35 years or so, so I'm not a rookie rider. I have a WR400 and a WR450.
Thanks,
Elk

• SecaXJ

Posted June 19, 2010 - 07:02 AM

Howdy from Colorado!
Great You tube video! I've always wanted to learn how to Wheelie, I'm not sure if it's something you can teach not being in person but can any of you guys give me some online pointers? You say sitting is easier to control the back brake? Do you balence at some point when the front wheel is pretty high up? The natural fear is that you go over the back. How do get past that and find the sweet spot? Any help would be apprieciated! I know the WR is great at pulling them. I've been riding for 35 years or so, so I'm not a rookie rider. I have a WR400 and a WR450.
Thanks,
Elk

practice practice and more practice. Once you can find the balance point at will you can ride a wheelie for days...or until the blue lights come on behind you..:thumbsup:

• elkwtchr1

Posted June 19, 2010 - 07:09 AM

That's funny man! Ok, but do you yank in up in 1st, can you shift? Do you drag the brake?

• gasgaspilot

Posted June 20, 2010 - 06:57 PM

start of just popping it up in first using clutch and throttle mabye 1 ft high, when you can do that try 2ft high. Once you have that dialed then pop it up high enough so you can just touch the rear brake to bring it back down and practice that for a while,then it will start from there if you can get them basic steps you will be doing wheelies in no time so go get practiceing

• panaman

Posted June 21, 2010 - 10:19 AM

you guys are all just a bunch of chumps........ I usually do a hand stand on my bars when I do wheelies...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted June 21, 2010 - 10:24 PM

on the 500, I just turn the throttle.....

• elkwtchr1

Posted June 21, 2010 - 10:28 PM

Panaman
I'm impressed, 2464 posts and thats your input! I'm noted as a "newbie" but actualy I've been on this sight since 1999. I've been riding bikes since 1974. What were you doing then? Oh wait, that was the year you were born! I thought this sight was for FRIENDS that have something in common, RIDEING! I was just looking for some constructive advice on how to ride wheelies. Thanks Gasgas and Seca! We all have different abilities, I'm sure I can climb a mountain at 9500 ft maybe a little better than you and you can outride me in some other areas. But in the end does that matter? We're doing what we love. If anyone has some advice on how to ride a wheelie bring it on! Thats all this post was. I can pop the front up over logs, streams but just can't sit and ride down the road. Got any advice, let me know!
Elk :thumbsup:

• gasgaspilot

Posted June 22, 2010 - 01:57 AM

Ok if your popping the front up fine and want to take the next step, pick a gear thats comfortable 4th is good on a 450 then cruiz low to mid 4th gear sit back arms straightish (try to resist the temptation to pull into the bars) and pop it up untill u can find the point when it gets light and when you back off the front wheel dosent drop straight down, keep practicing that and start to try give it a couple gentle stabs of throttle around the balance point, thats when the back brake technique comes in handy and practice, good luck you will get there if you want it

• panaman

Posted June 22, 2010 - 05:20 AM

Panaman
I'm impressed, 2464 posts and thats your input! I'm noted as a "newbie" but actualy I've been on this sight since 1999. I've been riding bikes since 1974. What were you doing then? Oh wait, that was the year you were born! I thought this sight was for FRIENDS that have something in common, RIDEING! I was just looking for some constructive advice on how to ride wheelies. Thanks Gasgas and Seca! We all have different abilities, I'm sure I can climb a mountain at 9500 ft maybe a little better than you and you can outride me in some other areas. But in the end does that matter? We're doing what we love. If anyone has some advice on how to ride a wheelie bring it on! Thats all this post was. I can pop the front up over logs, streams but just can't sit and ride down the road. Got any advice, let me know!
Elk :thumbsup:

It is amazing how many people have a vagina made out of very thin glass in this world......... I guess I just need to walk on egg shells around you so I don't hurt your feelings. I guess you just don't understand sarcasm at all, or someone pissed in your Wheaties. Either way....I was just trying to make a joke... do you really think I can ride wheelies while doing a handstand? If you do, I got some magic beans I could sell you. I also know some guy in Africa that has a very large bank account but can't access it... but if you mail him $2000 bucks he will sign it over to you.

2464 posts... maybe so... but at least 5 of them had some vital information in it that actually helped somebody on TT with there dirt bike problems..... thats about 4 more than you.

• 94vortech

Posted June 22, 2010 - 06:17 AM

It is amazing how many people have a vagina made out of very thin glass in this world......... I guess I just need to walk on egg shells around you so I don't hurt your feelings. I guess you just don't understand sarcasm at all, or someone pissed in your Wheaties. Either way....I was just trying to make a joke... do you really think I can ride wheelies while doing a handstand? If you do, I got some magic beans I could sell you. I also know some guy in Africa that has a very large bank account but can't access it... but if you mail him $2000 bucks he will sign it over to you.

2464 posts... maybe so... but at least 5 of them had some vital information in it that actually helped somebody on TT with there dirt bike problems..... thats about 4 more than you.

I got the sarcasm...I thought it was pretty funny. :lol: This is my first post here btw. :thumbsup:

• elkwtchr1

Posted June 22, 2010 - 08:02 AM

Panaman, Holy crap, glass vagina! OK you got me, sorry, didn't catch the sarcasm! There are guys out there that make wheelies look that easy! Now about that guy in Africa, I know him to, let's talk! Ha ha! Glass vagina! My bad dude! Gasgas, got it, will try that later today. Also found a couple other older posts on this.

• panaman

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:01 AM

Panaman, Holy crap, glass vagina! OK you got me, sorry, didn't catch the sarcasm! There are guys out there that make wheelies look that easy! Now about that guy in Africa, I know him to, let's talk! Ha ha! Glass vagina! My bad dude! Gasgas, got it, will try that later today. Also found a couple other older posts on this.

ah, no big deal.... to be honest... I ride wheelies like a sissy little girl....
If i could keep both feet on the foot pegs with two wheels on the ground I would be happy

• jayh300

Posted June 22, 2010 - 10:10 AM

ah, no big deal.... to be honest... I ride wheelies like a sissy little girl....

me too... i can ride wheelies enough to clear obstacles, then my inner "girl " gyro takes over..... a ground loop at my age.... no thanks...

• honda163

Posted June 22, 2010 - 05:33 PM

how do you ride a wheelie threads are about as funny as "now a real biker..." thread is on a Harley forum.

hey Panaman... WR's are CAWB anyway...

• SecaXJ

Posted June 23, 2010 - 05:41 AM

That's funny man! Ok, but do you yank in up in 1st, can you shift? Do you drag the brake?

I start in 2nd gear and shift up to fourth. Foot covering rear brake just in case. Start out in 3rd gear and power the front up little by little to get used to it. Gradually let the front get higher and keep the tire up longer. Before ya know it you will be knocking out some long wheelies.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.