o-ring chain

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 17, 2001 - 01:04 PM

do you guys run o ring chains with a split link?
ive just had a renthal o-ring fitted and it has a split link in,,,last time i went to a different dealer and they said the golden rule is never use a split link.
any views?

• F-Pilot

Posted January 19, 2001 - 08:51 PM

Split link? I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe a half link but I dont think they are available. You don't mean the master link do you?

• Superbike

Posted January 26, 2001 - 12:39 PM

Half link? I would only run it if you have to, such as odd gearing. I have an o-ring and do not have to ajust my chain evey single time I ride it around the yard!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted January 26, 2001 - 04:27 PM

I've never heard of a "split link" either...and I read every technical article I can get my greasy geezer paws on. What is that? Is that a master link instead of riveted?

• teamtoxic

Posted January 26, 2001 - 04:54 PM

I think what Mark is refering to is a "half link." These I believe are only used if a chain is cut too short, and only 1/2 of a link is needed to give it the appropriate slack in the chain.
They have a small hole drilled through the pin where a piece of wire(or VERY tiny codder pin) is placed and bent over to hold it the link on the chain.
I tried to find one of these about a year ago(for a friend's Banshee) but I couldn't find one. So, we used a very old one(70s-80s) of my Dad's instead.
I don't think I would recommend using one of these, especially in an O-ring chain. I could be worng, but it just seems like they would speed up the wearing process, maybe the chain, and both sprockets.
They look funny too.

Just my 2cents

I'm 15, live in MI and ride a '00 426F
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)

• lumpy

Posted January 26, 2001 - 05:13 PM

A split link is a normal link with a clip. The clip can pop off when the bike is rolled backwards (very rare) The other type is a press fit. Requires a specal tool to install. I'm a motorcycle mechanic and i hate the press type

• MrMXer

Posted January 27, 2001 - 10:02 PM

I've used half links in the past and would not recommend using them. There is enough chain adjustment in todays bikes. The olny reason to consider using one is for axle positon. If this is what you are after, modify the sprocket combination slightly to get the axle position and gear ratio you desire.

Home Pagehttp://www.eagle-racing.com

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.