Some Things I want To Do To My KLX300...

28 replies to this topic
  • mx4god

Posted June 17, 2010 - 09:26 AM

I have an '03 KLX300R that I bought earlier this year and I want to do a few things to it to make it more fun to ride, and possibly race hare scrambles.

First of all, it has the common "KLX noise," which I'm pretty sure is the cam chain tensioner. Which comes to my question, where can I get the cheapest new tensioner for it? I've looked around and the lowest I saw was about $63. Is that what it's going to take?

I just got some KX fork guards for it because they were missing when I bought the bike. I'll be putting on a new rear tire that I got today, as well as a better front tire.

I'm used to two strokes, so I'm used to a snappy power delivery. I am considering getting an aftermarket exhaust, and possibly a better carb. I can get a full White Bros system for $225.... is that worth it, or should I just look for a header? For the carb, I'm looking for a 250f carb because that would probably be the cheapest and easiest way, unless someone else has a better suggestion.

As for the suspension, I don't see much point in changing it because it works pretty good for me in the trails, and I'm trying to keep a low budget. Also, I absolutely HATE the throttle assembly on this bike! That alone gives me arm pump:banghead:, lol. What do you guys think I should get? 1/4 turn, throttle from a different bike? I'm going to replace it one way or another because part of the throttle tube plastic is broken off.

That's what I have planned so far, let me know if you have any suggestions or comments. Here's a couple pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• TNC

Posted June 17, 2010 - 04:47 PM

On that cam chain tensioner issue, I'm in touch with Mark Kreiger of Kreiger Tensioners who is looking at making a manual tensioner that will fit the whole KLX250/300 line. I sent him some specific measurements, diagrams and pics, and he is working on it at this time. This tensioner deal is not that odd. Other brands and models of bikes have similar issues, and he has provided manual tensioners for more bikes than you can shake a stick at.

My cam chain on my '06 KLX250S was worn out at 11,000 miles and not from abuse. I'm installing a manual tensioner as soon as Mark has one.

• mx4god

Posted June 17, 2010 - 04:56 PM

That's something good to hear. About how much will one of those cost? Do you adjust the tension on the outside of the cylinder head for that? My bike has around 3k miles on it, and I thought it was piston slap because it would get quiet when the engine was warm, but it sounds more like the tensioner, and that's where the sound is coming from.

• TNC

Posted June 18, 2010 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, the adjustment is done externally, usually with just a wrench. Those of us old enough remember, recall that most cam chain tensioners were manual even if they had a spring assist. These more modern ratchet tensioners seems to work fine most of the time, but a disturbing number exhibit inconsistent performance. And many street based racing engines go to manual tensioners for some reason. I wonder why?:thumbsup:

• mx4god

Posted June 18, 2010 - 06:33 AM

lol, so how much are they?

• amtzzero

Posted June 18, 2010 - 09:21 AM

Nice bike, I love Kawi's!

• mx4god

Posted June 18, 2010 - 09:23 AM

lol, thanks. I'm not a big fan of Kawasaki, but I found this bike and thought it would be good for the trails.

• TNC

Posted June 18, 2010 - 12:11 PM

lol, so how much are they?

Price should around $30-$50 depending on the machining. Mark told me the KLX shouldn't be particularly hard, but it wasn't a simple symmetric design like most tensioners. The pushrod bore is off center of the mounting bolts.

• mx4god

Posted June 18, 2010 - 12:58 PM

Price should around $30-$50 depending on the machining. Mark told me the KLX shouldn't be particularly hard, but it wasn't a simple symmetric design like most tensioners. The pushrod bore is off center of the mounting bolts.

Are they more durable than the stock one? Where can I get one?

• TNC

Posted June 18, 2010 - 05:22 PM

The tensioner isn't done yet. Mark is going to contact me. Not sure if he's going to have me test the prototype or if he's going to have a finished product. He said it wouldn't be too long. He's only had the data for the KLX tensioner specs for about a month now.

• mx4god

Posted June 18, 2010 - 05:29 PM

Oh, ok. If you could let me know when they're ready that would be great!

• visbits

Posted June 19, 2010 - 02:54 PM

Need to add a 250 Head to your list of upgrades, just had a lengthy discussion about it on Planet KLX.

• mx4god

Posted June 19, 2010 - 03:07 PM

Need to add a 250 Head to your list of upgrades, just had a lengthy discussion about it on Planet KLX.

Why is that? The KLX250 head?

• visbits

Posted June 19, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Increases compression to 12.5:1 and is the biggest single "horse power/torq" upgrade you can make.

• mx4god

Posted June 19, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Increases compression to 12.5:1 and is the biggest single "horse power/torq" upgrade you can make.

I'm not sure I want to do anything to engine soon, but I'll consider that if I keep the bike for a while. Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

• bdkw1

Posted June 27, 2010 - 12:28 AM

I put a small spacer under the spring in Mine to increase tension on the chain. End of problem.......

• mx4god

Posted June 27, 2010 - 06:16 AM

I put a small spacer under the spring in Mine to increase tension on the chain. End of problem.......

Did you just have to take the cam cover off?

• bdkw1

Posted June 27, 2010 - 11:01 AM

Did you just have to take the cam cover off?

No, the tensioners are on the side of the cylinder. The ratcheting one that is held on with 2 bolts is the one I put the spacer in. The spacer was only about 1/4" if I remember correctly.......

• mooredan

Posted June 28, 2010 - 02:16 PM

Here's a good reason to replace the stock tensioner:

Posted Image

The replacement has a hairline crack in the same place. I'm getting one of Krieger's prototypes.

• mx4god

Posted June 28, 2010 - 02:46 PM

Here's a good reason to replace the stock tensioner:

Posted Image

The replacement has a hairline crack in the same place. I'm getting one of Krieger's prototypes.

Wow, Kawasaki parts are so cheap, yet expensive in cost. If I don't sell the bike soon I will definitely want one of those aftermarket ones.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

KLX140L jetting setup by IacobucciB

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX140 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX140 2012
  • 1 review
  • Last review by s1berick
  • On July 11, 2014
Forums
Photo

250 Dual Sports by skatr186

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

KLX250s is bogging down when you hit the throttle. by NerdcoreROB

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 125/140/250/300
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

XT225 vs TW200 by holydiver98

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.