Front tire input wanted '04 WR450

8 replies to this topic
  • justjettin454

Posted June 17, 2010 - 07:52 AM

I have an '04 WR450 that I mainly ride on the Baldwin, MI trails (sandy) and like anyone who has one knows.. This thing pushes like a dump truck going into the corners. I have a new Metzler soft terrain tire on the front now with only 4 rides on it. I was'nt too impressed with the tire when it arrived to my door. I'm looking for a different tire that will work better in the sand, I'm thinking of trying a Bridgestone M101. Anyone have input on this tire? I've raised the forks in the clamps and no change in handling. The other thing I am going to have to do is re-valve and spring the suspension cause it is too soft. I know that has some to do with this problem but the tire is the simplest and least expensive choice for now.

• CanadianWR450

Posted June 17, 2010 - 08:03 AM

I found the Michlin s12 front to be not to bad in sand/slick/muddy conditions.

• justjettin454

Posted June 17, 2010 - 08:10 AM

Thanks. A buddy of mine has that on his Kaw, nice looking tire. Also another buddy swear by the Maxxis Maxx Cross Sand and Mud tire.

• jayh300

Posted June 17, 2010 - 09:02 AM

have been very happy with the michelin on mine.. I run an m12, medium terrain...
we have lots of rocks, trees and stuff here...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CanadianWR450

Posted June 17, 2010 - 11:22 AM

have been very happy with the michelin on mine.. I run an m12, medium terrain...
we have lots of rocks, trees and stuff here...

I actually replaced the s12 front with a m12 (along with a m12 rear) on my bike because I also ride a lot of rock and shale.....
No complaints on the m12, but I think the s12 is better for what the OP as asking about, which is sand....

As for the rear...LOVED it for the first 6 hours of use.....:thumbsup:
Performance falls off quickly I find, and it rounds off MUCH worse then a Maxxis desert IT. When new it blows the maxxis away....but in the long term.....I think I'll be going back to a desert IT for my next rear.....

• jayh300

Posted June 17, 2010 - 11:46 AM

I actually replaced the s12 front with a m12 (along with a m12 rear) on my bike because I also ride a lot of rock and shale.....
No complaints on the m12, but I think the s12 is better for what the OP as asking about, which is sand....

As for the rear...LOVED it for the first 6 hours of use.....:thumbsup:
Performance falls off quickly I find, and it rounds off MUCH worse then a Maxxis desert IT. When new it blows the maxxis away....but in the long term.....I think I'll be going back to a desert IT for my next rear.....

i would think the s12 would be better in the sand also... we have some sand and the m12 is ok there also.. there are alot of guys around here that run the s12... I had never run a michelin before and bought a gg 300 here a couple of years ago with m12's on it and loved it... have never really tried anything else since... I am not real hard on tires, the rear on my gas gas made it 2 years.... have had the one on my WR for about 3 or 4 months now and it is still fine.. My riding buddy has an 04 wr 450 we put maxxis it's on and he shredded them pretty quick.. we just stuck a m12 on it, but it only has a handful of rides on it so far...

• tacotory

Posted June 17, 2010 - 07:45 PM

+1 on the S12

• Butta

Posted June 17, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Dunlop 952 is predictable over every type of terrain I've encountered. My favorite front tire of all.

• justjettin454

Posted June 18, 2010 - 10:08 AM

sounds like the michelin s12 is a good choice, so has anyone here run the bridgestone m101?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.