New Clutch soon-Help me decipher the options

8 replies to this topic
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted June 16, 2010 - 12:42 AM

Ok, I will be getting a new clutch in the next couple of months. The clutch in my bike is original and I'm trying to refresh everything before I dedicate this bike to supermoto only use. I don't want a slipper or a rekluse. That being said, what is the best choice for a clutch replacement? OEM, EBC, etc etc. I see some companies have carbon fiber plates...all kinds of stuff out there. For daily use on the street what will be good for me?

Next question is about the other clutch parts. I see Hinson Inner Hubs, Pressure Plates, and Clutch Baskets. Also see some GYTR Clutch baskets. What is the 411 on these parts and what is the point to getting new ones? It seems like many people get new baskets (some advantage to be had?) but I dont see many people getting new pressure plates or inner clutch hubs. Can someone educate me please.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Michael

• TLRam1

Posted June 16, 2010 - 02:37 AM

I like Barnett Clutch plate and springs if made for your bike. This has been one of those no brainers for me....sure there are many other good choices and people have there favorites.

• Mutu

Posted June 16, 2010 - 04:42 AM

GYTR is just Hinson.
If you really go to town on your engine, and punish your clutch, you may want to upgrade it. The point of Hinson and the likes, is oil flow around and in between the clutch plates. It keeps them cool. The baskets have stronger teeth, which prevents notching.
I'd stick to OEM, unless you're made of money.

• tribalbc

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:56 AM

As Mutu said GYTR is Hinson in different packaging and actually for a better deal.
When I replaced my clutch last winter I went GYTR inner, outer hub and pressure plate with OEM plates and springs. Very, very happy with this setup.

The OEM hubs are pretty weak material and mine were notched badly when I replaced. If you plan on keeping your bike awhile I highly recomend spending the extra bucks on this setup.
The difference is the OEM hubs are cast where the GYTR ones are forged and CNC'd. Also there is alot more holes to flow more oil to your clutch.
The OEM plates are good though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted June 16, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Ok, So to summarize its all about cooling when it comes to aftermarket clutch stuff :-) Sounds good to me. tribalbc where did you pick up your GYTR stuff? I looked the other day for a 2004WR450 and couldn't find anything except the basket. Is there somewhere that sells an all in one deal?

Thanks for the replies guys,
Mike

Oh and Mutu, I'll be not too far away from you in a couple weeks....a quick drip across the ocean in Jakarta, Indo :thumbsup:

• tribalbc

Posted June 16, 2010 - 10:11 AM

Ok, So to summarize its all about cooling when it comes to aftermarket clutch stuff :-) Sounds good to me. tribalbc where did you pick up your GYTR stuff? I looked the other day for a 2004WR450 and couldn't find anything except the basket. Is there somewhere that sells an all in one deal?

Thanks for the replies guys,
Mike

Oh and Mutu, I'll be not too far away from you in a couple weeks....a quick drip across the ocean in Jakarta, Indo :lol:

Cooling and tougher materials that will not notch so quickly. Not to mention a smoother feel with really good feel for engagement and good feathering. It is a beautiful clutch :thumbsup:
I got mine from http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/
Not sure on the 04 stuff, I'm an 07.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted June 16, 2010 - 11:01 AM

Good deal. Looks like I found all the stuff I need. I'll put it on my mod list for bench racing purposes right now haha. Thanks!!!

• Mrmonk7663

Posted June 20, 2010 - 07:06 PM

So where do u guys order your factory oem clutches from. I can't find a kit, just individual plates that cost alot more than say an ebc setup. Looks like 200 just for plates.

• HTElectrical

Posted June 21, 2010 - 10:35 PM

Check out the Revloc Dyna Ring.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.