Here are my issues with an 07 wr450..... Some help pls

8 replies to this topic
  • rpt247

Posted June 16, 2010 - 12:13 AM

First off i dont have alot of experince with these bikes this is my first bike in 16yrs. So far i love it! However there are a few little things that i would like to fix. First off, why will it stall in the middle of a puddle if i get stuck and let off the throttle, then it wont start untill i push it out. This only happens when the water is up to my footpegs. Second is there a different way to route the crankcase vent so its not blowing into the airbox? Third, is that it intermeintently runs rough(lots of backfiring) when i'm between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle usually only in 2nd and 3rd. Also if i crack it from an idle it will stall.

• William1

Posted June 16, 2010 - 04:06 AM

Multiple issues, some easy, some will take some work.

Regarding water crossings. Re-route the upper two vent hoses from the carb up high under the the tank.

You can vent the engine vapor hose outside of the air boot, just be sure to close off the opening into the boot. Not sure why this is a problem for you though.

Rough running - You need to define it further. Steady thottle? Only when accelerating? Up hil? Down? Varies with temp/altitude? Current jetting and modifications?

Stall off of idle requires fine tuning of the AP (leak jet size and AP timing adjustment). You can broach this once you resolve the rough running. Typically, it involves running a smaller leak jet (between a #40 and a #60) and adjusting the AP timing screw (usually CCW between 1/2 and 2 turns)

• rpt247

Posted June 16, 2010 - 11:30 AM

With the vapor hose its because i've noticed that sometimes i get about an inch of water in the airbox and that hose blows it around, just thought it may be better if it didn't stir things up in there.

Mods are throttle stop, grey wire, A.I.S removed, airbox opened up, Two Brothers full exhaust, and re-jetted.

Is it better to put in a JD jet kit?

The rough running is when i'm at a constant throttle. If i'm on and off all the time it seems fine, sometimes a bit of hesitation but not to bad.

My altitude is about 1800ft and wouldn't change more than a couple hundred ft. temp is pretty consistant also

Thanks for the help I'm going to re-route those carb hoses. Do you think that the airbox hose is not an issue?

• ohioryder

Posted June 17, 2010 - 06:17 PM

the breather hose was purposely put there by Yamaha to prevent water getting sucked into the motor. I would leave it like it is. In fact, some yz450 owners are converting their breather system to the WR's to prevent the water injestion problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rpt247

Posted June 27, 2010 - 06:09 PM

the breather hose was purposely put there by Yamaha to prevent water getting sucked into the motor. I would leave it like it is. In fact, some yz450 owners are converting their breather system to the WR's to prevent the water injestion problem.

what 'bout the water that gets into your airbox? Also does anyone know the largest size of tire you can put on? Does that TeraFlex tire fit?

• billy the kidd

Posted June 27, 2010 - 06:55 PM

i have an 07 with the air box opened,,,and i have never had those problems ive crossed water up to maybe half way up the case,,, it makes me wonder why one bike would have that problem and not another,,,

• rpt247

Posted June 29, 2010 - 11:43 AM

you've never had water in your airbox? Well it gets into mine almost every ride maybe because the terrian you ride in is way different thn mine. Or you stay on the road

• billy the kidd

Posted June 29, 2010 - 01:05 PM

no i wasnt trying to be a smart ass,,, i was just giving you my experience,,, i ment it didnt stall out in the water,,, and if i stalll it its never had trouble starting,,, thats all, i do find some water in the box at the end of the day if i do a lot of creek crossings or deep creeks,,,

• panaman

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:47 AM

i have an 07 with the air box opened,,,and i have never had those problems ive crossed water up to maybe half way up the case,,, it makes me wonder why one bike would have that problem and not another,,,

I've noticed a littler water sitting in the bottom of my airbox also

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.