pea-shooter question

6 replies to this topic
  • yrun

Posted June 15, 2010 - 08:13 PM

OK- I'm in the process of street titling a new wr450f (actually finished and got my plate today). At any rate I had installed a PMB insert and knida felt it was a bit noiser than I prefer (may decide its OK though). I decided to put the stock insert back in for today (for state police inspection).

Regarding the pea-shooter; Do most remove the entire piece and run nothing in there? I noted that there is a inner tube (riveted I think) on the pea-shooter which could be removed and maybe could be considered a bit of a compromise?? In other words remove the smallest inside tube and then leave the pea shooter in place.

In regards to overall jetting & engine mods. I've installed the JD kit, red needle 5th position with the 165 main and the stock pilot jet.. Other mods include AIS removed, grey wire off and flapper removed from top of the air box..

Joe

• MrTVDNR

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:45 AM

Joe,

Removing the inner most that is rivitted in is the pea shooter.
I have ran without the whole asm and it is a strange sound...
I currently run the Pro moto billet performance incert and love it...fits and sounds within the db rates.
Jetting sounds a little lean for the main...most here, and check thru the jetting part of this section, that is where I got most my information for a set jetting in one swoop...i run a 168 and could go to the 170...most here are in that range...depending on sea levels.
JD is usually right on and if they confir what you are running and say to use the 165,,,see how it goes from there...imo
good luck.

• jayh300

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:14 AM

ran mine with nothing in it also... and it did sound weird..
I am running the pmb and really like it.. I had the pea shooter and took that inner part out .. could not tell that much of a difference.. Also on mine anyway, that inner part was riveted, but also looked like it was installed straight and then bent somehow.. Had to cut off the inlet, the part inside the silencer, then drive the pea shooter out of it..
it came out, but not easy...
mine has a jd kit and it is dead on...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:29 AM

ran mine with nothing in it also... and it did sound weird..
I am running the pmb and really like it.. I had the pea shooter and took that inner part out .. could not tell that much of a difference.. Also on mine anyway, that inner part was riveted, but also looked like it was installed straight and then bent somehow.. Had to cut off the inlet, the part inside the silencer, then drive the pea shooter out of it..
it came out, but not easy...
mine has a jd kit and it is dead on...

it is revited.... but if you drill out the two rivets and then put some plyers on it and start yanking on it.. it comes out

• jayh300

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:48 AM

it is revited.... but if you drill out the two rivets and then put some plyers on it and start yanking on it.. it comes out

mine is an 06, maybe different... don't know.. i yanked on it pretty good and it would not come out after drilling out the rivets.. it did come out with a little hammer/punch event...

• yrun

Posted June 16, 2010 - 07:44 PM

I'll drill out the rivets and remove the smallest inner tube and give that a try or I may just go back to the PMB insert. Have not had any chance to ride the bike lately due to work etc. My main focus was to complete the free mods, carb jetting and making it steet legal in my state; All of which is done:ride:

Now I need to do some fine tuning...

Thanks for the replies!!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 17, 2010 - 06:37 AM

I rode mine for the first 1 1/2 years with just the inner pea shooter removed. It is still plenty quiet that way, but the power is much better. I think it will be a good compromise for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.