98 YZ400 compression seal

4 replies to this topic
  • shredder

Posted January 16, 2001 - 11:57 AM

I have a bad seal that needs to be replaced, has anyone replaced this seal before, I called one shop and they said i can pull the lever out without taking the head off. It is spring loaded so I'm not sure what will happen when I pull it out completely.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 16, 2001 - 12:04 PM

If you are talking about the compression release arm you dont need to pull the head, just the valve cover.

Nick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted January 16, 2001 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Npuza, I wasn’t sure what shredder meant.

But I don’t think you need to yank the cover to replace the compression shaft seal. There is a small retaining bolt that secures the shaft in the head (# 13 in this picture), this is visible from the right side of the bike, it threads transversely into the head and has a narrow tip that fits in a groove on the shaft.

First remove the small bolt that holds the cable bracket, this threads downward into the head ( # 20 in the picture), this will allow you to remove the cable end from the lever which will then create enough slack to remove the cable from the rod (# 16.) Then you can remove the bolt that secures it and slide the shaft out.

The spring is not under very much tension so you needn't worry about that. You can pop out the old seal with a screwdriver, replace it (grease the seal lip) and put everything back together. Just make sure the tab and spring are in proper position relative to the lug on the head just over the shaft hole and don’t overtighten the retaining bolt, it only has a few threads on it and you can easily strip out the head (like I did).

You should be able to access all this without removing anything else from the bike.

Hope this helps.

• shredder

Posted January 16, 2001 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Hick, that's a lot of good info with pictures and all, Do you have a web site with the manual online? I found a site i use, http://www.epowersports.com but the pictures aren't as good as yours. :)

Originally posted by Hick:
Thanks Npuza, I wasn’t sure what shredder meant.

But I don’t think you need to yank the cover to replace the compression shaft seal. There is a small retaining bolt that secures the shaft in the head (# 13 in this picture), this is visible from the right side of the bike, it threads transversely into the head and has a narrow tip that fits in a groove on the shaft.

First remove the small bolt that holds the cable bracket, this threads downward into the head ( # 20 in the picture), this will allow you to remove the cable end from the lever which will then create enough slack to remove the cable from the rod (# 16.) Then you can remove the bolt that secures it and slide the shaft out.

The spring is not under very much tension so you needn't worry about that. You can pop out the old seal with a screwdriver, replace it (grease the seal lip) and put everything back together. Just make sure the tab and spring are in proper position relative to the lug on the head just over the shaft hole and don’t overtighten the retaining bolt, it only has a few threads on it and you can easily strip out the head (like I did).

You should be able to access all this without removing anything else from the bike.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by shredder (edited 01-16-2001).]

• shredder

Posted January 22, 2001 - 01:18 PM

Well the oil leak is fixed! Hick, my compression valve bolt was also stripped in the cylinder, nothing a 6mm helicoil kit couldn't fix. I am having that bolt replaced since it tends to wear from the rotation of the compression valve. You guys might want to check yours before oil starts spilling out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.