YZ450F Motor swap question???

6 replies to this topic
  • Duke_

Posted June 14, 2010 - 04:43 PM

Will a 2005 Yz450f motor fit into the newer aluminum frames? ie. 2006+ frames??

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2010 - 05:46 PM

Yes, but it's not practical. You will have to fab front and upper motor mounts, and then figure out where to put the engine oil. You can either build an external tank or use a wet sump conversion kit, which I absolutely do not recommend.

In the end, the result will not be any lighter, and may in fact be heavier, than an '05.

Why would you want to do this?

• Duke_

Posted June 14, 2010 - 05:48 PM

had the motor and just curious

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzgrizz

Posted June 14, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Yes, but it's not practical. You will have to fab front and upper motor mounts, and then figure out where to put the engine oil. You can either build an external tank or use a wet sump conversion kit, which I absolutely do not recommend.

In the end, the result will not be any lighter, and may in fact be heavier, than an '05.

Why would you want to do this?

why no wet sump gray?

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Because dry sumps are technically superior in a number of ways, for one thing, but the biggest reason is that it reduces the already small 1 liter oil supply to around 6-700cc. There's no margin for any sort of error or oil loss with a setup like that, and you'd have to change even a premium oil after each ride day.

• BigMattyG

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:18 PM

Will the swing arm bolt work? Will I have to fab new engine mounts or will a combination of the two work? I have an 07 frame begging for a motor

• Geoffit

Posted September 06, 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well the swing arm and the bottom mount should go, you might be able to adapt an oil tank from an alloy frame 250, the front mounts on the 250 are longer and might work on the 05. Can't say for sure on the top mount. The other issue is the pipe the cylinder angle is different on the engines. With enough time and a welder/mill any thing can be made to fit any thing you can buy a 06 engine for 1500 and sell an 05 for 1100 what's your time worth? If you want to go a head I have the 250 parts ( mounts oil tank) but no guarantee that's the way to go but it's a good winter project.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.