clutch lever

11 replies to this topic
  • flyinguitars

Posted January 16, 2001 - 09:42 AM

anybody know if its possible to bend the stock cluth lever back into shape without breaking it? I had a little spill the other day on some ice and mine is now shaped like a "u". I know there only about 10 bucks for a replacement, just thought Id ask.
Mike

• Taffy

Posted January 16, 2001 - 10:11 PM

i bend mine to that shape as soon as i get them. i ride with two fingers on the bars ALL the time. love it!

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 16, 2001 - 10:17 PM

I bend my levers back all the time. I take the lever off the perch and bolt it to a hole in a piece of angle iron on my utility trailer. I take the handle off my floor jack , slip the end of the handle over the lever and slowly work the lever back into shape. I have never had one break this way. I highly recommend taking the lever out of the perch though, because the perch will probably break before the lever will.

Paul

• JBM

Posted January 16, 2001 - 02:25 PM

I too have bent mine back about 3 times. I keep a new replacement lever on hand to use for an example to get the bent one back to the right shape. I also have it in case I break it bending it back. I take the lever off and put it in a vise to bend back. I haven't broken one yet.

• Hick

Posted January 16, 2001 - 03:13 PM

Wow, you guys are pretty high-tech!

I use a big hammer and the nearest hard, flat surface (the floor). I’ve done this twice on the original brake lever and did not break it, but that is probably strictly a function of the fact that I pre-purchased a Moose replacement.

So if you NEVER want to break another lever just buy a replacement now and your stocker is a lock to last the life of the bike (unless you lose the replacement you bought).

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 17, 2001 - 03:41 AM

If you heat the lever it moves alot easier. Im not sure but heating may take the "temper out" though.

Nick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrMXer

Posted January 17, 2001 - 03:56 AM

I normally have a spare lever with me all the time. If I bend one, I put the new one on and take the bent one back home. Once home, I use a vise with smooth alum. jaws to straighten the lever. I put the lever in the vise and use shims to support the lever and get the desired bend I am looking for. Now you can tighten the vise slowly until the lever is bent to the proper position. One more note.. I installed a honda lever and perch on mine.. I like the feel as compared to the stock, however, you do loose the on-the-fly adjuster

• teamtoxic

Posted January 17, 2001 - 04:37 AM

I've bent a few levers in my time. The best way that I've found to bend levers back to how they're supposed to be is by first heating them up with a torch and, with a hammer, tapping it strait. The level is less prone to breaking if you heat it up first.

Like everyone else said, always keep a replacement. When I bend a level, I'll put a new one on and keep he old one as a spare.

------------------
I'm 15 and ride a 2000 YZ426F. Its a little cold here in MI so for now its I have to deal with a 1996 Yamaha XT .600

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 17, 2001 - 06:28 AM

The best way to bend levers back is to not bend them in the first place. I put a set of bark busters on my bike and haven't bent a lever or bars since. I've hit so hard a few times that I had to bend my bark busters back. They save the bars because when your bike hits the ground it will slide instead of sticking in the ground.

Nick

• holeshot

Posted January 17, 2001 - 11:39 AM

I use Hick's method, but with a big rubber mallet and a piece of wood for the flat surface.

• flyinguitars

Posted January 17, 2001 - 01:20 PM

Good....it can be done! Thanks for the replys, Im going to order a replacement to keep in the truck and try heating and bending my stocker tonight. Any suggestions on handguards? I do a lot of woods riding plus they look really cool. My buddy just got the acerbis (spelling?) ones with the metal reinforced plastic. I think he paid about 80.00 at our local prick dealer.
Thanks,
Mike

[This message has been edited by flyinguitars (edited 01-17-2001).]

• Tim

Posted January 17, 2001 - 07:12 PM

Just one quick warning if you are not experienced with heating aluminum..... It may seem like a little is good so alot must be better. BEWARE Aluminum will melt like butter if taken up hot enough. Believe me, it is a much lower melting point than steel. I am in the same boat as Hick. I use a hard plastic mallet and a tree, rock or bumper near by. Have even done crude bend backs with two cresent wrenched right on the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.