Taffy & LarryCO Jetting

56 replies to this topic
  • Taffy

Posted June 12, 2003 - 09:58 PM

i hate doing the main jetting. if you're on the road you have no markers and if your on the land they shoot by too quickly! frightening stuff!

i don't think your MJ is far away but the needle may even drop one more to EKN clip 1 and then there will be no difference between EKN 1 and EMM 2. otherwise you're there. go back to your snap wheelie tests and finish them.

choke set up sounds ace-o-lux.

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 13, 2003 - 06:03 PM

Taffy..I just finished a week of r&d..My bike runs perfect now, no back fire or popping after closing the throttle from WFO in first to third. First time I can do wheelies with just a slight crack of the throttle. One thing that confuses me is how it runs on choke, as I reduced the pj and lowered the needles, the slower the idle when cold and the shorter time on choke before stalling. I still have a 55SJ, 150, 155MJ and EKP needle to try, was saving it for my new resticted (quiet) silencer when it arrives. Other than that your suggestions made a new bike out of the old 400. I may wait to buy that 450 now :thumbsup:Thanks Domenic

• Taffy

Posted June 14, 2003 - 12:04 PM

another happy cust....buddy :) :D

good on ya!

i agree the more i came down on the jetting the more difficult the choke became.

here's the reason why, and it's the same for jetting in general; if the jstting is rich the answer is simple-the bike has no floors, coughs or glitches it's perfect!

of course i jest! i hope you appreciate this?

then we get to the area where we earn our corn. and then things happen. the rest i just cosider to be 'drowning' the bike.

Taffy

• tctrailrider

Posted June 14, 2003 - 03:20 PM

Taffy,
Took the bike to the woods today. Choke, started first kick, choke 30 seconds, off, idled fine. Ran good from the start. The jetting is superb. Put in 55 miles of single track, clear air and about 75 degrees. The bottom is very snappy, from 1/3 on up its scary. Hot start helps when warm but not necessary. Its ability to lug down low is much better. Found myself 1 gear higher quite often. No popping, banging or missing at all. There is just a tiny bit of a hole at about 1/8 throttle, a little fat compared to the rest. I'm guessing its the needle, one setting to big on the straight or one clip to low. And I say TINY bit of a hole. The difference is incredible. To others reading this there are no issues with my bike that concern me. The throttle response is much better throughout, no signs of being lean. Starts great, hot or cold. The acceleration is so clean, I love it. So to Taffy (my new best friend) hats off to you, I am grateful.
Denny

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 14, 2003 - 04:17 PM

[QUOTE]
another happy cust....buddy :D :D
It's great and after the ride Sunday I will know for sure, 40 mile of woods at 4500 feet. Thanks for the help :)

• larsonsenza

Posted June 15, 2003 - 03:19 AM

Taffy,
I have same bike as Tctrailrider and ride same state, except I run uncorked exhaust, and have no power now. I am planning to use tctrailriders settings as a base, should I comensate anywhere in the jetting for the uncorkrd exhaust and no power now?
Thanks

• Taffy

Posted June 15, 2003 - 04:07 AM

larson

vortip will be the same as tct or one jet higher but i would copy.

tc

i would try the EMM needle instead for one go. i think that'll be the problem.

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 15, 2003 - 02:12 PM

Taffy.. rode the bike at 4500 today, new problem surfaced, loss of rear traction :D ate up whats left of my 756. Noted a bog about half throttle, but past the bike ripped. Took a break, lowered the needle a clip to 2 helped, installed the ekp and 155mj perfect. Came home went back to a 160mj and ekp3,rips. I did note that the bike will stall out with the fs out past 1.5 turns at idle :) Starts warm and cold great. I'm not going to worry about it until the new silencer gets here and fine tune it from there..Thanks Domenic

• Taffy

Posted June 15, 2003 - 10:51 PM

that needle is too deep and too fat on the straight. i have never been able to recommend the 'P' needle, it came from Hick but whenever asked what needle straight at altitude i would say "i would think EKN" and the next post would say "no way, 'P' needle" so i've always capitulated.

however you've got two problems. one the needle is 'fatter' than the 'N' needle and it's now very deep at clips 2 or 3 so it's very restrictive. i think you need the EKN needle.

Taffy

• tctrailrider

Posted June 17, 2003 - 03:45 PM

Taffy,
Think I finished up testing today. Tested EMM on clip 3,2,1. Missing at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. Improved as the needle dropped, but is seemed rich even on 1. The EKN2 seems to be by far the best. At some point I will try EKN1 and EKN1 with a washer and 35, 38PJ. I think I may have gotten all there is. The bike runs better that I ever thought it could. Current jetting is in my signature. Thanks for the insight and direction.
Denny

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 17, 2003 - 05:44 PM

Taffy or anybody..Quick question. Will going from a 160 MAJ to a 180 have a leaning effect on the MJ? :)

• Taffy

Posted June 17, 2003 - 09:57 PM

daud

what are you up to now? tish! tish! the #180 MAJ leans off the very top end. how can you test something you don't understand?

say no more...

tc

just checking, you are on the right MJ for sea level and an open pipe for sure? you are on YZ timing?

the other thing is that EMM/5 (mine) is two clips richer than EKN/2 and that's a lot. it seems to me the only time you have a low needle is when you have an overrich MJ and at #158 i think you're OK, so, i don't think it's that. anyway you tried a lower MJ didn't you?

don't forget i ran what you know as the european/canadian silencer so i havan't been there althoiugh cough and splutter diagnosis knows no international borders!

if you lift the needle you should stick to 35PJ/60PA setting as the lower will be richened anyway by the lifting of the needle.

as long as those high speed tests were valid though you look like you're about there.

Taffy

• tctrailrider

Posted June 18, 2003 - 01:51 AM

Taffy,
My pipe has the Vortip baffle, so it is semi restricted, and WR timed. Tried 155 and 152MJ, both with 160MAJ, the 158 seems stronger 1/2 to WOT. On the PJ I have tried 35 through 48 and like the 35. Earlier I was at 35PJ, 155MJ and EKN5 and it was real close. A little surging at 1/8 a miss or two at 1/4 and a bang on decel, dropping the needle eliminated all of those issues. Clip 2 seems very low but it sure runs good. Through this process I found that one clip position made a large difference, more than any other jet change. My two best combinations are nearly identical except 3 clips apart and this confuses the heck out of me. Don't think tried clip 5 with the 152. Guess I will give that a run. The 1/4 throttle transition is the tough area to fill in.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 18, 2003 - 05:38 AM

[QUOTE]
daud

what are you up to now? tish! tish! the #180 MAJ leans off the very top end. how can you test something you don't understand?

say no more...

Taffy you should white a book, "How to Lean a Bike to Death"
:)

• tctrailrider

Posted June 18, 2003 - 12:20 PM

Taffy,
My current clip 2 seems low so I did more tests today, with the intentions of raising the needle.
EKN3, 158MJ, lots of studders and missing 1/8 to 1/4, strong on top.
155MJ, fiewer studders and misses, a little flat on top.
152MJ, real clean 1/8 to 1/4 real flat on top.
So as before the 158MJ is the one. Realized that the improved performance down lower as the main dropped, that EKN3 is to rich. Put in EMP3 and it runs great. Its so close, not sure what needle setting is better, for now I will stay with the EMP3. It seems now that I'm splitting hairs, the set up is great, don't think there is anything left in there. Am I correct that EPM3=EKN2 1/2?

• Taffy

Posted June 18, 2003 - 12:31 PM

tc

the EKN/3 is equivelant to EMP/4 because K-L-N is two letters which is one clip position. so by putting it at same clip height you leaned the bike off a tad at idle and in midrange.

i totally accept your MJ tests and #158 is the one for you. but you mustn't test your midrange here as a previous post of yours says, you must test the max power.

you should be checking the PS setting more often with snap-wheelie tests and it should be on 1, 1.5 or 2 turns but sometimes 2 isn't what it wants.

i trust you mean EMP and not EPM as the tail of your post suggests?

Taffy

• wrkaholic

Posted June 18, 2003 - 12:45 PM

Hey, did you guys disable your ACV to help jet the pilot circuit? I notice that it is not specified in your sig.. I am thinking to disable the ACV to help me dial in the pilot circuit. Do you recommend this or not? Right now, no matter what pilot jets or PAS or needle I use, I never get popping on decel. :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 18, 2003 - 12:50 PM

disable the ACV

Yes, disable the ACV, and leave it disabled!!

• tctrailrider

Posted June 18, 2003 - 12:51 PM

Taffy,
Yes I did mean EMP. So I ended up one notch leaner on the straight than EKN2. You have hinted towards the 38PJ for awhile, so I will give that and the fuel screw a workout.

• tctrailrider

Posted June 18, 2003 - 01:28 PM

Taffy,
Took your hint and put the 38PJ back in, played with the fuel screw a little, real good at just over 1 1/2. Snap wheelie test nearly went over backwards, very clean and smooth all through it. Its cocktail hour at the neighbors so I am done for today. Currently EMP3, 38PJ, 1/2 out on PAS, 158MJ, 160MAJ, 1 1/2FS. Think its better than ever but need more seat time to confirm.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.