WR450 mods only...what are you running?

30 replies to this topic
  • Machster

Posted June 07, 2003 - 07:36 AM

Howdy brothers in blue.

I was wondering if I could get the owners of WR450's to post what they have done to their bikes. I think it is getting a bit confusing to us 450 owners when we see all the mods that have been done to the other models, and though most will work with the 450, I would like to compile a list of 450 only mods, so we can have a baseline to work with. :)

• Machster

Posted June 07, 2003 - 07:40 AM

Ok ...I will start
03 wr450
fmf q series pipe
throttle stop removed
airbox baffle removed
grey wire removed
all lights removed
changed main jet to 160
changed pilot to 48
moved stock needle clip down to 5th
zip ty screw
applied triple clamps
pro taper woods bend bars
tera flex rear tire
One industries gripper seat cover with guts tall/soft foam
mach 1 graphics
altitude:30 ft
:D :)

• Lowedog

Posted June 07, 2003 - 11:54 AM

Throttle stop
Grey wire
stock exhaust with the cork out
Airbox snorkle out

Accelerator pump adjustment screw turned clockwise half a turn. This cured the rich condition right off idle by delaying the squirt slightly.

YZ needle NCVQ 4th position.
162 main
42 pilot
1-3\4 turns out on my self made titanium fuel screw. (see post titled: is there a market for more after market parts by BrandonW for a picture).

Baja Designs dual sport kit. (minus signals, anyone need some?)
Works connection frame guards
Seal Savers
Acerbis rally 2 hand guards
Acerbis front disc guard
Self made PMB style billet cargo rack.

Spending way too much money on this beast but it sure is fun. :)

Lowedog

• Rcsnowb

Posted June 08, 2003 - 05:43 PM

03 WR450
Air box snorkel removed
Grey wire cut
Gyt-r exaust insert
EK chain
Works connection radiator braces
160 main jet and 50 pilot with stock needle
Motion pro levers
and a lot more to come!!!

• rohar

Posted June 08, 2003 - 06:08 PM

Here you go Machster:

'03 WR450 with the following:
- YZ450 Throttle stop
- GYT-R exhaust insert
- Air box silencer (some call it a snorkel) removed
- Gray wire disconnected
- Stock Jetting (too lean - in process of rejetting)
- Flatland radiator guards (learned the hardway - caved in the throttle side cooler... Thanks Mylers!)

That't it for now...

• doc4523

Posted June 08, 2003 - 06:51 PM

03 wr450
Gray wire mod
Insert removed "air box"
Power Now carb insert
160 mj
50 pj
All other jets stock
Stock needle in stock position
Stock exhaust w/promoto insert
Fuel screw 2.5 turns out
stock throttle stop "just haven't cut it down yet"
Haveing Leak Jet factory fix done next week
Elevation 2000-2600ft
Spark plug rim is black a little rich I’m going to go to a 160 mj and 48 pj

• Desracer

Posted June 08, 2003 - 07:10 PM

I am running:
155 main
48 pilot
Modified YZ250f exhaust
PMB endcap with arrestor & quiet tip
Throttle stop at 23mm
Air box mod
Grey wire cut
HD fly tubes
B&S digital hour meter
Trail Tech & billet mount
UFO rear fender and tailight
400+ miles no TSB ( no keys )
Running good at 3600 ft
Devol radiator guards
Utah cycle skid plate

• Jonesy920

Posted June 09, 2003 - 04:48 AM

:)

• ckulzer

Posted June 09, 2003 - 05:08 AM

As per your request....

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

• Jason_Moffitt

Posted June 09, 2003 - 09:52 AM

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beta_Man

Posted June 09, 2003 - 11:03 AM

03 CND WR 450

yz 450 pipe
162mj
48 pilot
DUQ needle #4
fuel screw around 2 turns with homemade adjuster
gold protapers woods bend cut down to 28"
renthal dual compund grips
enduro engerneeing hand guards with cycra triple clamp mounts
works connection frame guards
works connection throttle tube
devol rad. guards
devol skid plate
devol rear disk guard
fly HD tubes
zip-ty 02 yz250f magnetic drain plug
yz rear fender and front # plate on order
3000 to 4000 ft
:D
now i have to start saving money for school :)

• Motocrash

Posted June 13, 2003 - 06:32 PM

Elevation: 550ft. 160 main, 48 pilot, 0bduq (euro spec) needle, jip-ty fuel screw (turns vary with temp), GYT-r insert, de-snorkled, Grey wire pulled. No bog,pop,backfire. RIPS. :)

• lipskid

Posted June 14, 2003 - 04:16 AM

'03 WR450F

Free mods(snokel,wire,stop,pipe-open)
155mj
stock needle, stock position
45pj
Zip-Ty fuel screw
Zip-Ty magnetic drain plug
PowerNow
Scotts top clamp
Scotts Damper
Scotts Shark fin
Pro Tapers (CR-Hi)
Acerbis hand guards
Race Tech .54kg spring
Devol skid plate
Works Connection radiator braces
Tall seat foam & cover(on order)
Pro Circuit 496 pipe (on order)
D756's

Elev. 5000' and up.

:) :D :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 14, 2003 - 12:10 PM

Here I go;

Scotts
Scotts Triple Clamp
Pro Taper Bars & rubber mounts
Panoram computer
Twin Air Filter
Air box cut out and modfied heavily
Carb vented to air box
Air box side cover sealed with silicone rubber gasket
Rear left side cover hand hold slot added for air flow
Power Now
Gray wire
Sky Blue wire
Throttle stop to 23mm
Devol rad guards
Works Connection rad braces
Works Connection skid plate
Acerbis Rally Pro bark busters
Zip Ty magnetic drain plug
Zip Ty Adjustable air screw
Seal Savers
Ironman sprockets & Regina ORS chain
Thunder Alley 96 db with Sparky and Ceramic coating
5.8 kg rear spring 11.25" free length
Moose Fender pack tool kit (for long hauls)
Moose Heavy duty tubes
Michelin S12 front and rear

Jetting is listed below. Waiting for EMM neddle to fix lean 1/8th to 1/4 throttle condition (needle diameter)

• endurodog

Posted June 14, 2003 - 08:25 PM

Rear left side cover hand hold slot added for air flow

Indy your turning into the WR450 Guru. I had cut holes in the back of my air box but thought that it would be restricted because the only air into the area is through the right hand hold. I bought a dremel tool last week with this job in mind but hadn't done it yet. Glad to see someone else was thinking like me. Did you notice any increase in performance with that mod or did you do it along with several others?

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 15, 2003 - 10:36 AM

I think it only helps on hot days or high altitude the HP increase in cold weather was barely noticeable. I did my air box mod in the end of February so I ran it stock only in 40 degree and colder weather. It is worth doing. A lot of TT members have PM'd me for shots and others have placed 1" dia foam vent holes in the side of the box. The results should be similar. I really noticed the difference when I changed to the Twin air filter. Sorry I cant give your more results. It just seemed crazy to me to see all the air come in from the snorkel with the seat covering it up. You might as well have run a small 1" diameter rad hose to the front of the bike to feed the air box and then we would have ram air! :)

• endurodog

Posted June 15, 2003 - 12:20 PM

Because of running in the water crossing and stuff I didn't want to put holes in the side of the air box. I did remove the baffles and stuff then cut air holes in the back of the airbox above the rear fender then I started thinking that all the air for the engine comes through the right side hand hold.

I rode today, and I'm riding tomorrow, I think I will make the mod tonight to the left hand hold and see if I can tell a difference. Thanks for the info Indy, you da man!!

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 15, 2003 - 04:14 PM

Hey endurodog,
Thanks for reminding me of the carb vent mod. I have it vented to the airbox and I used silicone black rubber sealant with pam on the cover side to seal the air box cover on the side of the bike for deep crossings ( the pam keeps the silicone from sticking to the cover while drying). Like Yamakaze said the stock cover should have had a metal ring and rubber gasket or something to seal the water out. :)

• live_to_ride

Posted June 15, 2003 - 06:39 PM

Indy, its a dirt bike (meant for use on land), not a water craft. :)

• VB_Racing

Posted June 16, 2003 - 03:15 PM

I can vouch for the trickness of Indy's bike. I met him at the badlands in the spring. I only had about 30 miles on my 450 at the time, and he couldnt believe how bad it looked already(Hit a tree earlier in the day :) )He has the swag on his bike for sure!! I have done only the free mods to my WR450, and replaced the stuff I have broken.I put on a michelin s12 front tire on. I did take all the lights off, the coolant overflow bottle, removed all the necessary wiring,changed to a YZ fender and number plate. I removed that HEAVY A$$ kickstand,and put on renthal twinwall bars with adaptors(I am a little tall).
I do have carbon fiber tall frame protectors,probend handguards(already bent my moose guards beyond repair!!) and preprinted number plates for the occasional attempt at a hare scramble or enduro.
All I need to do now is get a few more pounds off the old blue and she'll be PERFECT!! :D
I have to say, coming off a 2 stroke(01 KX250 setup for the woods) I was very nervous about buying the WR. I even had a deal with the dealer, that after my weekend at the Badlands, if I didn't like the bike, he would take it back, and I would buy a YZ250.
That said, I am thoroughly impressed with my WR450. It is everything my 00 WR400 wasn't. IT TURNS!! It is a great woods machine, and it has POWER!! The clutch holds up well to this old 2 strokers fanning, and the bike is almost magical with the way it handles whoops ruts, and roots through the woods. I can't wait to ice race this thing!!

Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.