wr450f....2003-2004...a swine to start

11 replies to this topic
  • MADMANX666

Posted June 13, 2010 - 08:28 AM

hi all......well im new to enduro bikes and green laning ect,,over here in the isle of man we have some great tracks to play on tahts why ive joined the elete and play on thumpers......

my wr is a swine to fire up from the kick start hot or cold....ive check,t valve timing..spot on,ive cleaned the carb and reset to manufatures workshop manual,new plug ect,ive ordered a new starter as thats burnt out but id still like to fire it up from the kickstart.is there any method to kicking these over ie how much throttle,how much hotstart lever,wheres the piston got to be..???

many thanks any help would be great

• minty0_10

Posted June 13, 2010 - 11:58 AM

hi i find if you give it a few twists of the throttle 5/6 mine fires up first kick if you get it half way through the stroke.
mind me asking where you got your starter from and what it cost you?
mines dead also

• Dee Perry

Posted June 13, 2010 - 04:35 PM

WOW, Not to be a killjoy but if I touch or even look at my throttle before i start it, IT WILL NOT START. Choke when cold----Hot start when hot. !st kick every time. Do not kick real hard, prefers a softer smoother kick.

• Mutu

Posted June 13, 2010 - 04:39 PM

put the piston the TDC and kick through it mate.
Don't touch the throttle other wise it'll be a bitch and won't play nice.

• MADMANX666

Posted June 14, 2010 - 11:21 AM

thanks all...ill let you no how i get on....aas for the starter ive had to go genuine £220 = vat.....ouch

• Mrmonk7663

Posted June 17, 2010 - 07:36 PM

This is what I was told when I got my bike by some guys on here. First put your foot on the kick starter. Without kicking it, slowly press it down until it comes to a stopping point...usually about halfway down....when you get here, let the kicker come back to the top. Now give it a real full kick. If it doesn't start, repeat the same way again. Obviously use the choke. Sometimes even when cold the bikes like the hot start depending on where you ride. More tricks are installing a 72 starter jet (the jet by the main jet and pilot jet when you take off your bowl) As for giving it gas, some do some don't...results vary. I usually only give it gas if the fuel has been shut off and the carb bowl has been drained. If this has not happened, then I might give it a twist or two, let it sit for 2 minutes, then kick like I described....sounds like a lot of crap but it takes seconds to do really once you have it down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • - Jake -

Posted November 05, 2010 - 11:09 AM

thanks all...ill let you no how i get on....aas for the starter ive had to go genuine £220 = vat.....ouch

Where can I get one for £220 ? I've been quoted £303 +VAT

cheers

• jcbikes

Posted November 05, 2010 - 04:23 PM

Try adjusting the air/pilot screw. I noticed if it is just a bit off, can make it harder to start.

• L. Euler

Posted November 06, 2010 - 07:55 PM

I hate to add this, but if other easier methods fail check the valve clearance. I had my intake valves go to slightly negative clearance (open very slightly all the time) and it was a real bear to start. Once that was taken care of and the carb rebuilt, it starts on first compression every time hot or cold, electric or kick.

• bg10459

Posted November 08, 2010 - 06:30 PM

Mine starts fine most of the time. When cold, pull the choke, twist the throttle a few times and away she goes. When hot, just start it. When really hot, or if the jetting is a bit rich, use the hot start.
I find that the bike starts best when the jetting is just right. The starter jet is pretty lean, so I use a #72 year round. Maybe set the idle a bit higher, too.

• - Jake -

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:13 AM

I find that the bike starts best when the jetting is just right.

No, really? :p

• 1981PR

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:28 AM

This is what I was told when I got my bike by some guys on here. First put your foot on the kick starter. Without kicking it, slowly press it down until it comes to a stopping point...usually about halfway down....when you get here, let the kicker come back to the top. Now give it a real full kick. If it doesn't start, repeat the same way again. Obviously use the choke. Sometimes even when cold the bikes like the hot start depending on where you ride. More tricks are installing a 72 starter jet (the jet by the main jet and pilot jet when you take off your bowl) As for giving it gas, some do some don't...results vary. I usually only give it gas if the fuel has been shut off and the carb bowl has been drained. If this has not happened, then I might give it a twist or two, let it sit for 2 minutes, then kick like I described....sounds like a lot of crap but it takes seconds to do really once you have it down.

Make sure it is at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke. You will also feel resistance in the kick starter when the piston is approaching TDC on the exhaust stroke. Easiest way to tell if it's the compression stroke is to listen for air rushing into the airbox when you push down on the kickstart lever.

If you flood the bike out riding, this works for me: kick it over a few times with the fuel turned off, decomp lever pulled in and the kill switch pushed in (or ignition off). If you don't have the ignition off, the kickstart will kick back at you!

This technique works with my '86 XR600, might not work as well on your Yamaha...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.