Tire Choices

11 replies to this topic
  • theduck007

Posted June 13, 2010 - 07:23 AM

hey guys, im riding a 07' yz450 and am looking for a set of new tires. i ride a couple tracks that start out loamy and get hard pack. and sometimes stay hard pack for a few rides. im thinking about getting the mx51 for the front and a dunlop 952 for the rear. has anyone used the new mx71 yet? i think that looks like it is for a really hard pack. i like the look of the 952 and peaple say it hooks up everywhere and wears good. any input would be appreciated. thanks

• crf450319

Posted June 13, 2010 - 05:10 PM

I don't know if the terrain in ND is similar to that here in Manitoba, but most of our stuff up here is hard-pack. For the last few years I've been running Dunlop D739's (HP tire), but this year I've switch things up a little. With the 739's I was getting 20 to 22 hours on 'em.

I had a Kenda Carlsbad that lasted 3 hours before it started chunking on me, seriously... 3 hours. I'll never buy another one. After that I put a Bridgesone M604 Int rear on and so far I've got 10 hours on it and it looks pretty good, I'll be surprised if it doesn't still have something left in another 10 hours.

I've got a Bridgestone M22 HP and a Michelin Hp4 in my basement, after I take the 604 off I'm going to put the Hp4 on as I'm curious to see how that tire will wear.

Sorry I can't offer any info on the 952, but I've heard guys recommend them before. I should mention that all I ride is MX.

• theduck007

Posted June 13, 2010 - 06:16 PM

ok thanks, the only reason i was looking at the 952 because the track is real loamy until some good lines get cut in. and another track is about half sand and half sandy clay that packs hard. im not a serious racer just ride for fun but still like to ride hard and have something that works good.

• mywifefarts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 08:07 PM

I ride the same conditions for the most part and after years of trying diferent combos, front and rear, the only thing I want to use from now on is The Michelin MH3 front and rear.:thumbsup:

• FinchFan194

Posted June 14, 2010 - 05:17 PM

I ride the same conditions for the most part and after years of trying diferent combos, front and rear, the only thing I want to use from now on is The Michelin MH3 front and rear.:lol:

Amen Brother! The MH3 front and rear are amazing hard pack tires.:thumbsup:

• theduck007

Posted June 14, 2010 - 07:15 PM

thanks for the input guys. but tonight when we rode it was really nice and tacky and not really hard at all. i know i can't have the best of both, but how will a hard pack tire do in the softer tackier stuff. im not looking for the perfect answer but just some help. and just being a rider, not racer, i think i would lean toward the hard pack just so it doesn't get rounded off right away. let me know what you think

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted June 14, 2010 - 07:45 PM

That's pretty much exactly what I do, I run a hard-pack tire because 75-80% of what I ride is hard-pack with the remaining 20% being Int/soft/tacky conditions. I'm not interested in changing tires, from a hard-pack to a mud/soft tire when conditions change. I know that most of the time I'm going to be on a track that is mostly hard-pack with some soft sections, especially if we've had rain (tonnes of it lately).

If I were running tires designed for soft conditions I know that I'd be wearing them prematurely, so I sacrifice a little in the soft to gain a lot in the int/hard stuff and even more in tire longevity.

• hadameo

Posted June 14, 2010 - 07:50 PM

I had won a maxxis desert it at a race and tryed it,great tire in all conditions and lasted almost a year of riding,in utah it gets hard packed and rutted fast too!

• mywifefarts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 01:12 PM

thanks for the input guys. but tonight when we rode it was really nice and tacky and not really hard at all. i know i can't have the best of both, but how will a hard pack tire do in the softer tackier stuff. im not looking for the perfect answer but just some help. and just being a rider, not racer, i think i would lean toward the hard pack just so it doesn't get rounded off right away. let me know what you think

Like I said I ride the conditions you describe and the MH3 front and rear both work Awsome in soft loamy dirt, sticky/tacky rutted dirt, tacky hard packed clay, and dry dusty hard pack. It's the closest to having the best of both worlds I could ever imagine. and best of all the are super durable. They out last every other tire I've ever tried period! I'll never use anything else again.

• Wiz636

Posted June 16, 2010 - 03:17 PM

Generally speaking, a soft terrain tire has a harder rubber compound and will retain it's edges longer but be prone to chunking as it wears. A hard terrain tire has a softer rubber compound and will round off faster but be less prone to chunking.

I have found the Dunlop MX-51's to be a very good all-around tire with respectable wear tendencies.

• YamaLink

Posted June 16, 2010 - 03:41 PM

The MH3, for those conditions, is very very good. Many of my riding buds went to it a long time ago. Guess I was the last holdout. Only a Pirelli Scorpion Pro XT front ranks as high in my opinion.

• Luv2crash

Posted June 16, 2010 - 03:59 PM

I will put my vote in for the Bstone 604. Also the 404 is great to. Better than any Dunlop or Maxxis i've used to date. The 604 being my current tire and I WILL buy another.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.