ignition cover "stuck"

6 replies to this topic
  • milk

Posted June 12, 2010 - 08:31 PM

i'm in the process of a cam change, valve adjustment and cam chain replacement on my '02 yz426f. i went to take the ignition cover off to get to the flywheel and everything so i can change the cam chain and well... the cover won't come off very easily. now before i go prying at it and cracking it or something anyone have any ideas how i might go at this a bit easier?

• fishpost19

Posted June 12, 2010 - 11:10 PM

You will feel resistance trying to get it off as the magnetic force of the flywheel will be attracting the stator. As long as you remove all the bolts holding it, and unplug the wires, it'll come off with a bit of force. Also, when you go to put it back on, be careful not to get your fingers in the way, as the cover will snap on when the magnet pulls the cover on.

• milk

Posted June 13, 2010 - 12:26 AM

i have a hard time believing that a magnet is as strong as this is. i pulled on the cover pretty hard(there's little tabs on it) and even pried on it with a screw driver on the 'tabs' a bit and did manage to get the bottom part to separate a bit enough to drain some of the oil(i didn't remember to start the engine to get most of the oil out of the ignition cover prior to tearing it down so i have to drain it all) but i'm not too keen on prying on the 'tabs' too much in fear of snapping them off or cracking the cover. but if that's magnetic force alone holding the cover on then i'll be amazed honestly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2010 - 08:02 AM

The cover has to be pulled away from the engine squarely, as the stator is mounted in it. If it tilts, the stator will bind in the flywheel. As said, the magnetism will also resist the removal. Get all the screws out, break the bond of the gasket, and lift it off as squarely as possible.

• milk

Posted June 13, 2010 - 10:17 AM

i think what i'm having problems with is the actual breaking the bond of the gasket. i just really don't want to break my cover. i'll work at it though patiently i guess and see how it goes. thanks guys

• Ryan426

Posted June 13, 2010 - 05:34 PM

Try lightly tapping with a rubber mallet.

• milk

Posted June 13, 2010 - 05:52 PM

i did give it a few good raps with the handle end of my big screwdriver... maybe that just wasn't enough mass to unstick it... i'll dig out the mallet tomorrow before work :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.