* * * * - 1 votes

Building a Toy Hauler

• Please sign in to reply

237 replies to this topic
  • FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 12, 2010 - 08:12 PM

I'll post up some pics tomorrow when I can get my photobucket account to work, but I just bought a Black 12*7 V-nose (14ft total length with V) Tandem Axle Cargo trailer with the intent to make it into a toy hauler for my dirt-bike when I go on overnight rides. I decided to do this because I do not want to buy a new truck to haul a heavy camper only a half dozen times a year, and I want to be able to get the trailer in my back yard and take it off road. Also, it just has to fit myself and occasionally my son. But I want the creature comforts and I am tired of tenting it. I also don't like to travel with my bikes in an open trailer and stay at hotels. I am always worried about them being stolen.

The trailer as it is now weighs 1790Lbs, but has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs. with the tandem axles which also have electric brakes. I plan on doing the following and keeping the project at $5,000. This is what I plan for modifications:

1) Insulate and panel roof and walls with an R5 insulation and a White Hardboard.
2) Add black and white checkerboard vinyl tiles to Floor and Ramp.
3) I will keep the back 7.5 ft of the trailer for Cargo and fold down beds. I need to install D rings that mount flush with the floor to tie down the bikes.
4) Air conditioner.
5) Portable Toilet
4) Shower
5)6 gal Hot Water Heater
6) 2 Burner Gas Stove Top
7) 3.5 Cubic Ft Refrigerator
8) Sink
9) Cabinets/counter in the front and cabinets along the top sides.
10) Stereo and LCD TV.
12) Wiring for the electrics, plumbing, deep-cycle battery and charger.
13) I am going to talk my sis into sewing velcro on the perimeter of a 6*7 ft piece of screen which I will use to screen the backbend when I feel like having it open on a nice day.
14) Window in front door and RV handle with lock.
15) Rear stabilizer jacks.
16) Some nice Orange KTM Stickers for the sides. :-)

I'll share the photos as I go. I plan on this being a 10 week project as I only have a few hours in the evening to spare.

Edited by FLboy, June 13, 2010 - 04:28 PM.

• FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 12, 2010 - 08:23 PM

OK, Here's a pic of the start. I used my garage for this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Newtomoto

TT Member

37 posts

Posted June 12, 2010 - 10:02 PM

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing how it comes along. I'm still waiting on my trailer to be delivered, another 5 weeks or so.

For beds I decided to go with aerobeds but was thinking of attaching some sort of wooden plank to the side with hinges to fold down and act as a bench for when I'm resting in the trailer.

• FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 04:19 PM

I was going to make fold down beds... decided to go with the "fold-up" beds. You can see one in the photo. They are actually quite comfortable.

A friend of mine gave me a few sheets of red and black anodized aluminum today. I will use 1/4" plywood to make the cabinets and rivet the anodized aluminum to the cabinet drawers to give it that "metal? look.

I didn't get much work done today other than E-bay for parts. Got 50 minutes to go for the tub/shower and a 2 burner range top. Some good deals on E-bay.

I expect to get all the existing plywood paneling off this week and then glue in the insulation boards. If I get that done this week... I'll be happy.

I had to special order the black and white vinyl tiles. I ordered the commercial tiles which are 12" x 12" (the kind used in dept' stores and etc..) . The checkerboard linoleum that has an 8" pattern would have costed about $300 because it only came in 12' wide pieces. I would have had to get a 12*12 piece and throw away a lot.

• olddude

TT Gold Member

1,005 posts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 05:49 PM

Talking about deals on e-bay. I just got a nice door to go from my cabin area to the shop, a outside shower box, a gravity/pressure fresh water fill box, a set of RCA surround sound speakers, a in wall flush mount sub woofer and a roof vent for a little over a buck fifty shipping included.

I got my wall framed up today and I need to get a 42gal fresh water tank and a 6 gal water heater and I can start to finish my layout. Once I find out how big these parts are I can lay out and frame up space for them. I plan on putting them on the floor up against the wall I built today and putting a work bench over top of them. I already have my water pumps but I need to get some water line to run to the shower head and a sink.

I think my thread got lost when they switched the web site back over so once I get some more pics of my progress I guess I'll start another one. Good luck on your build.:thumbsup:

• Chickenhauler

Get Help Now

19,032 posts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'd leave the advertising of what you have in the trailer off the sides (decals).

It just announces "Hey Mr Thief, this is what I have in here if you wanted to know!"

• Newtomoto

TT Member

37 posts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 06:26 PM

good point chickenhauler...how about an advert/decal for Jimmy's Chicken Manure :-) no one's gonna come close to it.

• Chickenhauler

Get Help Now

19,032 posts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 06:44 PM

good point chickenhauler...how about an advert/decal for Jimmy's Chicken Manure :-) no one's gonna come close to it.

There's someone locally who has "Bills Rendering Service" (dead critter gitter ridder of-er) on their trailer....I've seen this trailer numerous times parked at local riding spot staging areas.

• damac

TT Bronze Member

218 posts

Posted June 13, 2010 - 07:59 PM

What about a heater and air conditioner? We did the same kind of rebuild thing on an old 80's travel trailer and the price ended up skyrocketing because of the appliances.

When it comes time to buy stuff, I doubt your local rv dealer can compete, I would go with ebay so your purchase is protected and you can get some direct pricing. I saved hundreds of $$$ this way. If you can take the time to scout auctions you could even do better.

• FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 01:49 PM

I've heard that before about the stickers. Don't know if it encourages thieves or not. I'd like to have them on there because I like them. I have some ideas for a wireless security alarm that will work where I have cell coverage and where it will be trackable. The trailer gets messed with, I get a phone call. For the most part, when I am traveling with it... I'll be at places where a thief would expect a bike in there. If I am parked in a parking lot where I am eating, shopping or etc... I will get notice and they should be running.

BTW.. I am getting the portable A/C, #1, because I know it will work well in a insulated trailer. 2) I am getting a 7,000 BTU so power consumption will be only 900W when I am running on the generator.... leaving power for other things. 3) I don't have to leave it out in the weather when it is not being used over 340 days a year. 4) it will make a great backup for my bedroom at home if the A/C goes out or for Hurricanes and etc. when we loose power. 5) It is not that big and will set by the door as I come in and vent through the floor. (I'll put it in the shower when traveling or not using it). 6) Lastly, it is about $300 less than a roof mount.

I hope I have as much fun using the Hauler as I am planning and building and shopping for parts on E-bay.

• JBeckerx2

TT Newbie

11 posts

Posted June 14, 2010 - 02:42 PM

Does your 5k budget include the initial cost of your trailer?

• FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 15, 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yes it does.

• 06yz
6,506 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:18 AM

I was going to make fold down beds... decided to go with the "fold-up" beds. You can see one in the photo. They are actually quite comfortable.

A friend of mine gave me a few sheets of red and black anodized aluminum today.[COLOR="Red"] I will use 1/4" plywood to make the cabinets [/COLOR]and rivet the anodized aluminum to the cabinet drawers to give it that "metal? look.

I didn't get much work done today other than E-bay for parts. Got 50 minutes to go for the tub/shower and a 2 burner range top. Some good deals on E-bay.

I expect to get all the existing plywood paneling off this week and then glue in the insulation boards. If I get that done this week... I'll be happy.

I had to special order the black and white vinyl tiles. I ordered the commercial tiles which are 12" x 12" (the kind used in dept' stores and etc..) . The checkerboard linoleum that has an 8" pattern would have costed about $300 because it only came in 12' wide pieces. I would have had to get a 12*12 piece and throw away a lot.

[COLOR="Blue"]1/4" plywood is not a good idea for your cabinets, they will fall apart, there is not strength in it. You should use 3/4" plywood.

MAX!!![/COLOR]

• 06yz
6,506 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:19 AM

Yes it does.

[COLOR="Blue"]How much did the trailer cost?

MAX!!![/COLOR]

• 06yz
6,506 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:24 AM

I'll post up some pics tomorrow when I can get my photobucket account to work, but I just bought a Black 12*7 V-nose (14ft total length with V) Tandem Axle Cargo trailer with the intent to make it into a toy hauler for my dirt-bike when I go on overnight rides. I decided to do this because I do not want to buy a new truck to haul a heavy camper only a half dozen times a year, and I want to be able to get the trailer in my back yard and take it off road. Also, it just has to fit myself and occasionally my son. But I want the creature comforts and I am tired of tenting it. I also don't like to travel with my bikes in an open trailer and stay at hotels. I am always worried about them being stolen.

The trailer as it is now weighs 1790Lbs, but has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs. with the tandem axles which also have electric brakes. I plan on doing the following and keeping the project at $5,000. This is what I plan for modifications:

1) Insulate and panel roof and walls with an R5 insulation and a White Hardboard.
[COLOR="Red"]2) Add black and white checkerboard vinyl tiles to Floor and Ramp.[/COLOR]3) I will keep the back 7.5 ft of the trailer for Cargo and fold down beds. I need to install D rings that mount flush with the floor to tie down the bikes.
4) Air conditioner.
5) Portable Toilet
4) Shower
5)6 gal Hot Water Heater
6) 2 Burner Gas Stove Top
7) 3.5 Cubic Ft Refrigerator
8) Sink
9) Cabinets/counter in the front and cabinets along the top sides.
10) Stereo and LCD TV.
12) Wiring for the electrics, plumbing, deep-cycle battery and charger.
13) I am going to talk my sis into sewing velcro on the perimeter of a 6*7 ft piece of screen which I will use to screen the backbend when I feel like having it open on a nice day.
14) Window in front door and RV handle with lock.
15) Rear stabilizer jacks.
16) Some nice Orange KTM Stickers for the sides. :-)

I'll share the photos as I go. I plan on this being a 10 week project as I only have a few hours in the evening to spare.

[COLOR="Blue"]I highly reccommend not installing vinyl on the ramp floor. The vinyl is deadly slippery when wet, even if it has a mist of water on it, it is neck breaking slippery. Good luck w/ the build, keep us posted.

MAX!!![/COLOR]

• olddude

TT Gold Member

1,005 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:59 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]I highly reccommend not installing vinyl on the ramp floor. The vinyl is deadly slippery when wet, even if it has a mist of water on it, it is neck breaking slippery. Good luck w/ the build, keep us posted.

MAX!!![/COLOR]

10-4 on tile being slick when wet. I had planed on doing that with mine but have decided to just go with a good marine paint with grit in it. I'll probably do the whole shop floor that way. If it gets skined up all I will have to do is repaint it.

• SMarquez

TT Titanium Member

2,074 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 10:07 AM

Where do you intend to put all that stuff in a 12' trailer? How many bikes are you trying to fit in there? $5k total? My trailer was $2300 and when you put RV on a price tag things go way up. You might run out of weight capacity pretty quick on a single axle.

• 06yz
6,506 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 11:47 AM

[COLOR="Red"]Where do you intend to put all that stuff in a 12' trailer?[/COLOR] How many bikes are you trying to fit in there? $5k total? My trailer was $2300 and when you put RV on a price tag things go way up. You might run out of weight capacity pretty quick on a single axle.

:thumbsup::lol: [COLOR="Blue"]Good question, I was thinking how I could fit all of that in my 8x20 :lol:

MAX!!![/COLOR]

• FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 04:56 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]1/4" plywood is not a good idea for your cabinets, they will fall apart, there is not strength in it. You should use 3/4" plywood.

MAX!!![/COLOR]

Trying to keep the weight down. I am going to build a frame for the cabinets and the 1/4 plywood will hold it all together. It will be plenty strong and much lighter.

• FLboy

TT Titanium Member

2,572 posts

Posted June 16, 2010 - 05:10 PM

Where do you intend to put all that stuff in a 12' trailer? How many bikes are you trying to fit in there? $5k total? My trailer was $2300 and when you put RV on a price tag things go way up. You might run out of weight capacity pretty quick on a single axle.

I'll post up some pics when I get more accomplished on the inside. It is 7' wide by 12' and the V-Nose adds another 2' to the total length (14'). In any case.. I plan on 2-3 dirt-bikes or 2 street bikes side by side and they are only 6.5' long. So that area 6.5 * 7 is where the beds will come down when the bikes come out. Beds fold up when not using to make a living area. The the remaining front (5.5' * 7, plus the V-nose area which extends another 2') is where I plan to put in everything else. It is going to be tight and small.... but that is what I am after. It is for weekend riding where I will spend the night (or two) occasionally. I have a 5*10 open trailer for the local, day trips.

BTW, the trailer is a twin axle trailer with a 7,000lb GVWR and electric brakes. I paid $3,100 out the door and it is 16" on center steel frame (not 24' as many)and etc.. It is built very sturdy with 3/4' decking and interior plywood. Not a Lowes Special. The challenge and fun part is shopping e-BAY and etc. to furnish and finish. I'll share what I got and costs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.